Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why aren't you bothered that it doesn't say GIBSON?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Udonitron
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually passed up some nice guitars due to them being altered and having a lacquered "Gibson" decal on the headstock. I want it to be original and I love having it say Burny, Greco, Tokai, Fresher, etc on the headstock's! It introduces people to alternatives that are equally as good if not better than the guitars they are copying. So many people at my work now are interested and are finally starting to see the light. Thank you Japan!
JuniorEnthousiast
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some players, like myself, who are born under that bad lefty star can't even get the guitar they have their heart set on. Gibson builds RI of loads of historic guitars, then plain refuses to do a lefty or two. My local luthier/guitardealer advised against buying a lefty Gibson other than a historic original (am I going to fork out $26K? are you mental?), reason being all the botch jobs he'd encountered. For years I have searched for an LP Jr and finally found it in a Tokai.
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuniorEnthousiast wrote:
Some players, like myself, who are born under that bad lefty star can't even get the guitar they have their heart set on. Gibson builds RI of loads of historic guitars, then plain refuses to do a lefty or two. My local luthier/guitardealer advised against buying a lefty Gibson other than a historic original (am I going to fork out $26K? are you mental?), reason being all the botch jobs he'd encountered. For years I have searched for an LP Jr and finally found it in a Tokai.

Dis omdat Tokai die beste in die wereld is.

Hulle sal enige model guitar in a lefty bou, en al vat hulle doen is 10% op die gewone prys sit.
JuniorEnthousiast
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: translation please! Reply with quote

Ik ben denk ik een van de weinigen die je post kunnen lezen, Diamond. Stel hem alsjeblieft in het engels zodat het internationale publiek kan meelezen.

I think I will be one of only a few here to be able to read your message Diamond, please refrase in english so the international crowd can join.

To answer your point; I thought Gibson stopped building lefties all together?
going back On Topic;
I realise Tokai doesn't build all it's models in lefthand orientation either, however they do not straightout refuse to build you a lefty piece. And they do offer model throughout (almost) each price/quality level.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozeshin wrote:
I think that the way this thread is shaping up is that quite a few of us have actually owned Gibsons in the past so we have had the opportunity for comparison.

not me. I'm thankful i found out about tokai and the other japanese brands before i ended up forking out for a gibbo or fender.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post in the "Guitars" section
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_Mc wrote:
Ozeshin wrote:
I think that the way this thread is shaping up is that quite a few of us have actually owned Gibsons in the past so we have had the opportunity for comparison.

not me. I'm thankful i found out about tokai and the other japanese brands before i ended up forking out for a gibbo or fender.

Well I've owned a 1978 Standard in Tobacco Burst that had an extremely rough existence before I got it... it was achingly heavy..original uncovered Burstbuckers...played ok...sounded ok...but never felt a part of me.
I've also owned a very rare late sixties prototype model SG...it had no serial but DID have the dated swingtags in the case.
It was a dark walnut with a Bigsby,black mini humbuckers and dot inlays...and aside from the fact that it was a rare Gibson...it played like ^&*(....would NOT stay in tune and the feedback was uncontrollable.
So of the Gibsons that I have owned...NOTHING comes close to the quality or playability of my Tokai.
LuBee
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to be a little different from the crowd and generally don't care what others think - so I buy Tokai. I have 3 and on the look out for a fourth!

Also I value what my ??? can buy and I can get much more Tokai for my dosh.

I have a Fender Strat but its a Squier, most people laugh and say what are you doing playing that heap of junk.

But I know its a MIJ 80's Squier, loaded with Seymour Duncans and is a stonking guitar that only cost me ?100 - so who's laughing now?
Jay Low
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one reason - quality of Tokai guitars is simply superior to those of large American brands.

Let me tell you a story:
A couple of years ago I went into the local music store to buy a nice strat. I had just received some bonus to my account, so I had ability and will to pay what's needed for a good one. The store is actually the local importer of Fender guitars, so they had a whole punch of F-strats - I tried pretty much all the Fenders from MIM to Signature series EJ strat (i.e. price range of 500-2200euros), but ended up walking out of the store with a used 2005 Tokai AST-50. It was barely used at all, so if someone had said that it's brand new I'd have believed it. The quality and finishing were absolutely great and, not to forget, the acoustic qualities and resonance (which is naturally the basis for a great electric sound, as well) were far better than those of Fenders.

This year more or less the same happened w/ a Les Paul...so, after that I came up with my motto (see my signature below).

So, who cares about the text in the headstock - or even the shape of the headstock - if you're getting what you're wanting. Plus you're getting it w/ lower price...
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozeshin wrote:

Well I've owned a 1978 Standard in Tobacco Burst that had an extremely rough existence before I got it... it was achingly heavy..original uncovered Burstbuckers...played ok...sounded ok...but never felt a part of me.
I've also owned a very rare late sixties prototype model SG...it had no serial but DID have the dated swingtags in the case.
It was a dark walnut with a Bigsby,black mini humbuckers and dot inlays...and aside from the fact that it was a rare Gibson...it played like ^&*(....would NOT stay in tune and the feedback was uncontrollable.
So of the Gibsons that I have owned...NOTHING comes close to the quality or playability of my Tokai.

hehe. I mean i've tried gibsons in shops, obviously that doesn't let me know them as well as having owned them, but it's enough to let me know they're not worth it (at UK prices, anyway).
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson & Fender make some great guitars, but the good Japanese ones, Tokai etc are definetely more consistent and far better value. I actually think the name Tokai get's you a lot of respect with other musos, Joe Public might not be impressed, but having Tokai on your headstock is always a talking point with other guitarists.
Si Pie
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si Pie wrote:
I actually thought I'd bought a Gibson. It turned out I needed new glasses.

On the plus side, I was able to buy new glasses with the money I saved
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm not a snob about guitars?

JohnA makes a good point too - Tokais provoke comments when you gig with them.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

Because I'm not a snob about guitars?

JohnA makes a good point too - Tokais provoke comments when you gig with them.

I'm more about the sound - not who makes them.
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no difference in sound/tone between a Love Rock and a GLP.

This weekend we had a GLP Standard with stock pups, a GLP Studio with stock pups, and an LS85 GT.
The Studio sounded terrible compared to either the Standard or 85.
We put a set of MK2 in the Studio, now all three guitars sound identical...and I mean really identical.

So there's no difference in tone, the Tokai manufacturing quality is definitely more consistent, and Tokai have a far more extensive range of models and colours than the GLP range.

Gig with a GLP, after the gig you'll get no comments, gig with a Tokai and you cause a stir, lots of questions and compliments after the gig.

I guess it's boils down to wisdom, the wise choose Tokai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: