Burny headstocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcusnieman said:
It's obviously being sold as something it isn't.

If so my dealer, a quite experienced one, has been ripped off...

Strange...

Without knowing anything about Burnys those pics immediately looked fake to me!
Shouldn?t one be able to tell, if dealing with MIJ guitars extensively?

I find it hard to beleive that HE was trying to rip ME off :eek:

(Been doing some thinking and: NO, he would not try to rip me off.)

januz said:
marcusnieman said:
It's obviously being sold as something it isn't.

If so my dealer, a quite experienced one, has been ripped off...

Strange...

Without knowing anything about Burnys those pics immediately looked fake to me!
Shouldn?t one be able to tell, if dealing with MIJ guitars extensively?

I find it hard to beleive that HE was trying to rip ME off :eek:

(Been doing some thinking and: NO, he would not try to rip me off.)

Sounds to me like he is trying to sell it as what he thought he bought.

If this Burny 335 is made in China I can ensure you all that I will never buy a Japanese Burny again.

It is a kick *** super duper 335.

I am also confused about the lack of the "flower" on the head.

It says RSA100 on the emblem, it has a serial number, VH1 pickups, large japanese pots and is a hell of a guitar. It doesn't have screwholes from those weird bell plates that Chinese Burnys have.

But let's investigate further. I for sure wants to know.

However, dead honest: if this is a chinese Burny then Japanese Burnys can go and fxxk themselves.

Koubayashi said:
IF this Burny 335 is made in China I can ensure you all that I will never buy a Japanese Burny again.

I am also confused about the lack of the "flowe" on the head.

It says RSA100 on the emblem, it has a serial number, VH1 pickups, large japanese pots and is a hell of a guitar.

Dead honest: if this is a chinese Burny then they are better than all Japanese Burnys I have ever owned or played (and that is maaaaany).

You?ve sold me great guitars before so I?ve got no reason not to believe what you?re saying.

If the guitar is nitro, the PUs are VH-1 and that there?s no doubt that the origin is Japanese, I?ll buy it according to our deal.

What about the headstock, is the logo inlayed?
Which year?

Let?s talk over the phone tomorrow!

januz said:
Koubayashi said:
IF this Burny 335 is made in China I can ensure you all that I will never buy a Japanese Burny again.

I am also confused about the lack of the "flowe" on the head.

It says RSA100 on the emblem, it has a serial number, VH1 pickups, large japanese pots and is a hell of a guitar.

Dead honest: if this is a chinese Burny then they are better than all Japanese Burnys I have ever owned or played (and that is maaaaany).

You?ve sold me great guitars before so I?ve got no reason not to believe what you?re saying.

If the guitar is nitro, the PUs are VH-1 and that there?s no doubt that the origin is Japanese, I?ll buy it according to our deal.

What about the headstock, is the logo inlayed?
Which year?

Let?s talk over the phone tomorrow!

I will have a closer look att the headstock tomorrow.

Also, I will check the finish with acetone.

As we say in another discussion, there some early 80's RSA without anything on the headstock.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14452

The one of Yoga64 is a late 80's/early 90's RSA model, mine is a mid 80's model (RSA-80 or RSA-100 model I hope, because there is no sticker in the F-hole, or it has been lost).
Both guitars have fret edge binding.

On the 1981 catalogue, there is a RSA model without flower.
http://fernandes.co.jp/others/catalog/1981_01/12.html

The guitar shown by Januz seems to be "like new".
There are some early 2000's Burny made in Japan with a 2 screw truss rod cover (I've seen some LP but never seen RSA), so it could be one on these with a new truss rod cover (the serial number start with 02XXXX).

le juge said:
As we say in another discussion, there some early 80's RSA without anything on the headstock.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14452

The one of Yoga64 is a late 80's/early 90's RSA model, mine is a mid 80's model (RSA-80 or RSA-100 model I hope, because there is no sticker in the F-hole, or it has been lost).
Both guitars have fret edge binding.

On the 1981 catalogue, there is a RSA model without flower.
http://fernandes.co.jp/others/catalog/1981_01/12.html

The guitar shown by Januz seems to be "like new".
There are some early 2000's Burny made in Japan with a 2 screw truss rod cover (I've seen some LP but never seen RSA), so it could be one on these with a new truss rod cover (the serial number start with 02XXXX).

All seems OK apart from it having Vh1 pickups.
If it was made that early it shouldnt have VH1.

However, the serialnumber 02XXXX matches this 335!

I think it is a early 2000 if anything.

And I must emphasize that I will never buy a Japanese (crap??) Burny if this is Chinese...Never ever...Ha ha, Burny Japan can go to hell in that case :D

Koubayashi said:
But let's investigate further. I for sure wants to know.

The best thing would be if you can upload pics here so that people can help out. (Seems to be a lot of knowledge gathered here!)

I?d like to see close ups of:

- The headstock
- The PUs (VH-1 stickers? Are these the ones with alnico or ceramic magnets )
- The back of the guitar (It looks brand new...)
+ pics in general in order to give an overwiev of the actual instrument.

How does the quality of these early 2000 Burnys compare to the ones of the 80s? I?ve always had the impression that the older ones are the ones of real interest and that the new stuff can?t compete on any level.
Right/Wrong?

I trust that it?s a good guitar, but if there?s any doubt about its origin beeing Japanese (plus the fact that it is a guitar not from the 80?s but from 2000...) this will of course affect the price.
(I?ve got a 2000 Chineese Epiphone Les Paul that actually is a really good instrument, but I?ll never be able to get much money if selling it, due to the general opinion of these guitars...)

The logo on the headstock is inlay just at it should be.

I am now 99% sure it is a early 2000 Japanese built 335.

Koubayashi said:
The logo on the headstock is inlay just at it should be.

I am now 99% sure it is a early 2000 Japanese built 335.

Sounds promising!

Anyone that has some toughts about the quality of wood, hardware and electronics used in these early 2000 Japanese Burnys when compared to the guitars from the 80?s?

In general my experience is that guitars made "today" usually look really good (even the cheap ones) but that MIJ instruments from the 80?s sound and feel better. (Or maybe it?s just the "mojo factor"...)

Hopefully this new 335 is an exeption from this "rule"!

Just found this: http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/
(At the end of the page. Edit: New stuff is added all the time so the ad will move further back continously.)

A cherry Burny RSA100

CherryRSA-1.jpg

No "flower" on the headstock but the TRC is different from the one in my pic and looks a bit like the chineese ones, but there seems to be only 2 screws.

47,800 JPY - and a gig bag... - really doesn?t suggest a Japanese high end model with nitro? (Or someone isn?t aware of what they?re selling.)

Mystifying all this...

marcusnieman said:
Do the Chinese versions have orange labels inside too?

No idea...
There MIGHT be one lurking in the upper f-hole... or maybe not...

burny_rsa55bs.jpg

januz said:
(At the end of the page. Edit: New stuff is added all the time so the ad will move further back continously.)

A cherry Burny RSA100

CherryRSA-1.jpg

No "flower" on the headstock but the TRC is different from the one in my pic and looks a bit like the chineese ones, but there seems to be only 2 screws.

47,800 JPY - and a gig bag... - really doesn?t suggest a Japanese high end model with nitro? (Or someone isn?t aware of what they?re selling.)

Mystifying all this...

That was exactly what I was talking about in my previous message, this have a two screws TRC, probably replaced by a bell-shape one.

It would be interesting to know if they are evenly made by Tokai (with the shape of the square in the pickup cavities per exemple). Early 2000, there were ES-110 model so it's approxymatly the same price at this time.

I think that for this price they are urethane finish.

le juge said:
januz said:

A cherry Burny RSA100

CherryRSA-1.jpg

Mystifying all this...

That was exactly what I was talking about in my previous message, this have a two screws TRC, probably replaced by a bell-shape one.

It would be interesting to know if they are evenly made by Tokai (with the shape of the square in the pickup cavities per exemple). Early 2000, there were ES-110 model so it's approxymatly the same price at this time.

It would be impossible to sell a Japanese made 335 for 50000yen new even in Japan. The salaries and everything are too high for that.

Those on Ishibashi are Made in China.

If you look carefully you can see that the bellplate is attached with two screws, however, look even more carefully and you'll notice that the lower screw is decentralized. Basically, one screw (out of three) has been removed or fallen off.

Koubayashi said:
le juge said:
januz said:

A cherry Burny RSA100

CherryRSA-1.jpg

Mystifying all this...

It would be impossible to sell a Japanese made 335 for 50000yen new even in Japan. The salaries and everything are too high for that.

If you look carefully you can see that the bellplate is attached with two screws, however, look even more carefully and you'll notice that the lower screw is decentralized. Basically, one screw (out of three) has been removed or fallen off.
No, I'm shure...I've seen Burny LPs mij from the early 2000's with this two screw TRC.
If the model is RSA100, so the price was 100000Yen !?... No ?!

le juge said:
Koubayashi said:
le juge said:
januz said:

A cherry Burny RSA100

CherryRSA-1.jpg

Mystifying all this...

No, I'm shure...I've seen Burny LPs mij from the early 2000's with this two screw TRC.
If the model is RSA100, so the price was 100000Yen !?... No ?!

I am absolutely sure it is just de-centered (well, 90% sure :D ).

le juge said:

The Tokais in the 2005 catalog where:

ES155 (flamed maple top, sides & back, Honduras mahogany neck, brass saddles, aluminum tailpiece, CTS pots, sprague orange drop caps, Switchcraft jack, lacquer finish)

ES135 (flamed maple top, sides & back, mahogany neck with block inlays, shorter pickguard, lacquer finish)

ES130 (flamed maple top, sides & back, mahogany neck, lacquer finish)

ES120L (left-handed, maple top, sides & back, mahogany neck)

ES110 (maple top, sides & back, mahogany neck)

ES60 (MIK, maple top, sides & back, maple neck)

Here?s a ES100

TokaiES100.jpg

Not totally unlike the Burny in my pic.

IF this Burny is more or less the same guitar as a Tokai ES100/ES110 it is made in Japan but it?s not nitro as it is a lower model instrument.

I'm pretty sure a Tokai built Burny wouldn't have VH1-pickups.

I checked the solder joints with a mirror today and everything on the inside is factory installed (impossible to make it that neat and nice unless the top is of).

Oh well...Some things are supposed to be mysterious...

Did you find time to check the finish with acetone?
By the way, when you looked at the bottom of the pickups, do you remember if the routing had this shape of the square in the pickup cavities like in a Tokai?

The guitar doesn?t need to have nitro finish as far as I?m concerned.
I would love to own an early 80?s MIJ 335, but as long as this isn?t some Chinese fake and the price is right I?m interested.

Let me know if you decide not to keep the guitar!

Latest posts

Back