LP Standard

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Polifemo

Reaction score
10 months ago I bougt this wonderful Les Paul Standard

P1010001-5.jpg

P1010002-3.jpg

P1010003-4.jpg

P1010004-3.jpg

P1010006-2.jpg

P1010005-3.jpg

The quality of the guitar is great in every respect but as I wasn?t quite happy with the look of it, I installed a pair of DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs.

P1010003-6.jpg

Looks quite nice now :D

What year and model yours is do you know?
Where did you get it from? Japan?
The flame top is veneer or photoflame or real?

Yours looks the coolest I have seen around here.
You must be very happy and lucky to get it.
Congratulations!

So true even if it's just a photoflame.....
Was the photoflame very popular back then or something?
My 1994 40th anniversary F/J Strat had it for the flamed neck I remember.

8)

Hi,

El Polifemo here, back under a new nick :D (Forgot my password and my old email adress "is no more"...

The guitar in question is mine and yes it is a photo flame top made in 1996. (Looks quite nice in pics but rather horrible IRL :x

The guitar is GREAT though 8) especially with the new DiMarzio 36:th PAFs installed.

The guitar is so good that I might try to remove that "photo flame thing" and turn it into a plain top lemon drop or something.
If it would look like something like this when I?m done, I?d be really happy:

RLG1out1.jpg

(This guitar is a wonderful looking Burny that belongs to MIJvintage)

Ok, back to my guitar.
The question is: How bad looking are these tops underneath the photo flame?
I suppose that there?s a reason for putting this horrible photo flame crap on top of a guitar!

The reason is that some think flame tops look better, i don't think this is the case, certainly not for some of us here. Look at the top at different angles and see if you can tell how many pieces the top is made out of. The foto flame could be hiding a multi piece top, but if its 2 piece just remove the foto flame. In my experience there are no 2 plain tops the same at the same time i have seen hundreds of pretty flame tops that look very similar.
I suppose its up to you but if it were me and i liked the guitar tone wise, i would remove the foto flame and if its a multi piece top then its a good candidate for a Gold top..... :D

Mick

The top turns out to consist of three pieces :evil: so it?ll have to be a Gold Top, IF I go ahead and do this refin.
The guitar sounds and feels great already and removing the poly and refinishing it with thin nitro will make it even better, BUT I?ll be lot?s of work...

We?ll see.

Forgive my ignorance, but how are photo tops made? Is it basically a picture on paper?

In case you're wondering why I'm here, I just bought myself an OGB Goldtop, due to arrive Thursday. I have always loved natural wood too, but couldn't resist this one. A Goldtop is suddenly more appealing to me! :D :D :D

Axchisler said:
Forgive my ignorance, but how are photo tops made? Is it basically a picture on paper?

It is often the thickness of a sheet of paper and is lacquered- or poly'ed right on to the wood

It is also a pain in the bottom to find the right gold lacquer.
Took me ages to find when I refinished another Orville LP Std.
That one however was a two piece :D

However, how hard it is to find the correct gold laqcuer it is actually harder to make a burst. Takes some serious practise to achieve the skills to apply a good looking burst on a guitar.

Koubayashi said:
It is also a pain in the bottom to find the right gold lacquer.
Took me ages to find when I refinished another Orville LP Std.
That one however was a two piece :D

However, how hard it is to find the correct gold laqcuer it is actually harder to make a burst. Takes some serious practise to achieve the skills to apply a good looking burst on a guitar.

I?ll leave the guitar as it is.

It feels and sounds great. It also looks quite good on stage when the lights go on 8)

marcusnieman said:
januz said:
I?ll leave the guitar as it is.

It feels and sounds great. It also looks quite good on stage when the lights go on 8)

THAT, is what is important after all, isn't it?

How an instrument sounds and feels is of course THE most important thing, BUT if I had a guitar as beautiful as MIJ vintage?s Burny in the pic above, I somehow would be an even happier man :wink:

The guitar is nowadays a Gold Top.

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Removing the photoflame "thingey" with its glue + the poly finish has improved the sound of the instrument.
It now sounds extremely "vintage" with a Tele-like tone that I dig a lot.

IMG_1894.jpg

Latest posts

Back