1980 LS200 $4000+ and growing!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. That must be the high price record for a Tokai. The seller must be very happy.

You don't see many 200's, and I guess some of the bidders weren't willing to wait for another to come along!

My god that's over three and half grand in UK money...
That would buy me one hell of a custom made guitar :)

Derby Ant said:

I would rather have the 'old wood' 1980 LS-200 in the listing, than a new custom made guitar, if I were gonna spend that kind of $ on a Les Paul ...

The guitar really is a rare gem, and goes to show the interest that is with these guitars, and in Japan.
Over priced? I don't think so, but you will always pay for what you get? as for me, if I was in that money bracket market, it would be the 1980 Tokai LS-200 or a Gibson Custom Shop Aged Murphy 1959 Burst.

Mick

greco_burst said:
The guitar really is a rare gem, and goes to show the interest that is with these guitars, and in Japan.
Over priced? I don't think so ..........

Mick

agreed :wink:

it's rare as Hell, it's ~30 year old wood, they aint makin' any more, and the market dictates price; congrats to the seller & to the buyer ...........

I remember when original 'burst were ~25/30 years old & you couldn't give them away for $5K at the GSWGS in Dallas, and look at the prices now.

Looks like it's happening all over again, with Tokai :lol: ..................

It may be 20 years younger but I'm thinkin' my 2000 LS-320 aint goin' no where; who knows how in demand those could be in 20 years :p ..........

MIJvintage said:
Derby Ant said:

I would rather have the 'old wood' 1980 LS-200 in the listing, than a new custom made guitar, if I were gonna spend that kind of $ on a Les Paul ...

The point about a new custom made guitar is you can specify what wood you want, or even find your own wood. I would go this route for a burst clone because I know someone who has the old mahogany and braz ready and waiting (just need the money).

This LS-200 price seems a lot, but they are extremely rare - how many LS-200s were made? There's probably more original Gibson bursts around?! :D The price is due to the rarity mainly, and it seems that these high LS guitars are only for collectors, too expensive for players now. :cry:

MIJvintage said:

200% agree with you there man!!
Think about it...in 1980 that guitar was 200,000 yen...that was and still is a shitload of cash! In 1980 I would assume that is the equivalent to well over $6000 now if you consider inflation and the ever increasing cost of living over the past 30 years. It was so worth it

Udonitron said:
MIJvintage said:

200% agree with you there man!!
Think about it...in 1980 that guitar was 200,000 yen...that was and still is a shitload of cash! In 1980 I would assume that is the equivalent to well over $6000 now if you consider inflation and the ever increasing cost of living over the past 30 years. It was so worth it

So you won the auction then!? :D

Think you might find this table interesting:
Back in 1980 the yen to the dollar was worth more than 88yen=$1.00 now!
In the first month of 1980 the yen was 237.88 yen =$1.00,so a 200.000 yen guitar would have only cost $840.00, factoring in and adding inflation at say 3% per year
=$1714.00 in todays money.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/EXJPUS.txt

MOJO HOBO

I will admit that I'm not the worlds biggest fan of old guitars, mainly due to the prices they command.
That said a top notch 1980 LS200 for $6100 probably better value than you'd pay for a similar vintage Gibson, if old is your thing.
It is allot of money, but it's kinda mid range PRS cash so I wouldn't say it's outside of the pocket of a player rather than a collector, just a rich player :)

I think Tokais can be valuable guitars, but the price of this one might be a case of auction fever adding an extra 20-25% to the price. There can't be too many people in the world willing to pay over $6000 for such a guitar, no matter how rare or how great the quality.

Derby Ant said:
That said a top notch 1980 LS200 for $6100 probably better value than you'd pay for a similar vintage Gibson, if old is your thing.

Anyone paying $6100 for a 1980 Gibson needs help. Seriously though, do you think this could ever happen/will happen? I don't think so personally because there were too many built, and it would always be an option to go for a Historic for less money and a far better guitar.

Derby Ant said:
It is allot of money, but it's kinda mid range PRS cash so I wouldn't say it's outside of the pocket of a player rather than a collector, just a rich player :)

Yes, that's why PRS are known as guitars for Doctors and Lawyers! :lol:

Back