Roland Cube 60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevcaster

Reaction score
Hi Anyone out there using Roland Cube 60 or 80X?

I am thinking of getting one as a rehearsal amp. I sold my Blues Junior as it just was costing a bundle to keep in valves! I also thought this could double up as a vox monitor. Who has some experience and what do you think?

Best
Kevcaster

i've only tried them in the shops, and don't have any experience of using them for what you want, but when i've tried them i've thought the cubes in general (except for the 15x and 20x, which don't have the amp models, which are kind of the point of the amps in the first place :lol: ) were pretty good for higher gain stuff on a budget- say, 80s metal and heavier.

Thanks Dave, I'm really trying to kill a lot of birds here with the monitoring idea (one less box to carry), practice - no pedals needed - but also having something that takes up a little less room - fits under a fitted bench that the Junior would not etc. and can be used without getting a pedal board involved. 80's and metal etc are probably not where we are working, more soul. motown and country rock and so on but it would be for rehearsal and only for backup at gigs.
The Junior was good for rehearsing but every couple of years cost between ?30 and ?100 in valves and I just had to replace a couple of failures and repair the reverb so I had it fixed and sold it! I have a really reliable Rivera as a main amp so still have good sound for gigs but I don't want to cart it to rehearsals every week
Cheers

the vox valvetronixes might be worth a look for that type of stuff... as i said, i have no idea whether it'll work for your monitoring idea, but for the tones you're after, that's probably where i'd be looking (unless you were willing to fork out quite a lot more money for one of the more expensive modellers). i know on the other forums i go to, the consensus used to be to go for the cubes for high gain, and the voxes for lower gain stuff, but vox since released newer, updated valvetronix models (one of which was aimed at high gain), and peavey released the vypyr, neither of which I've tried yet, so that's kinda muddied the waters a bit.

i guess the captain obvious advice is the best, try them all and see which does the tones you want best, and which will cover your monitoring etc. needs too... :)

Thanks Dave, very useful. I will take your suggestion. I have played through a Cube 30 but not the Vox. Andertons have both so I'll go down and check them out.

no problem. if they have the vypyrs and line 6s as well they'd be worth a try too, though i suspect they're like the cube, and more aimed at metal.

Latest posts

Back