First Time buyer .... did I get taken??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tokaiguy, if you buy the Epi elite new the are a bit costly :eek: But i had them priced to me new for as low $700 w/ a case. And found them for $550 used so they are not that bad :) You are lucky to live in Dallas, used Tokais and the older Japan made Tokais are like trying to find the Holy Grail here in Ohio. I can go and find any flavor Gibson lp or Epi lp i want anytime, So when i found my 84 Love Rock w/original case for $450 in the beautful condition it is i snapped it up before the guy had a chance to talk to anyone else about it. I guess it matters where you live. Back to the Epi Elite, still a great japan made guitar with premium electronics and hardware and if you look you can find a good deal. 8)

:lol: That's what I'm talkin about!! The 84 LR for $450!! Thay's the real thrill of collecting Tokai. Back in the early 80's Tokai was all over the DFW area stores. Rep's for IMC would show up at local clubs and offer the players the use of one of thier guitars. I saw Anson Funderburgh on a Monday night in a club playing the most beautiful Shorline Gold Springy with gold hardware and the sound he got sent me to Whittle Music Store the next morning to buy my first Springy, a Candy Apple Red 62' for $399 w/case!! The deals I've made over the last 20+years on Tokai's have been the most fun a guy could ever have ! I've told it before but for all the new members this is the Best! A widow lady at my church had heard that I had started and worked with a couple of bands in the youth group. She asked if I would be interested in her late husbands guitar. {I have seen every thing from a 65'Fender Jag to a Airline Stratotone come through the Church doors} The next Wednesday there is a black tolex Les Paul style case in the office waiting for me. Inside was a 1984 LS80F in untouched/unplayed condition . With it was a note..."If you would like this guitar for your own, would a $200 dollar donation to the church in my husbands name be too much?" I went to the ATM across the street and the rest is Love Rock bliss! I love to tell that story! Happy Hunting where ever you are! 8) When on vacation check the pawn shops, I 've had some great luck there! 8) TG

Don't go by M.F. or Music123 pricing on the Epi Elitists.
You can find them new for less.
I've seen the LP Plus go for anywhere from $850 to $950 new.

They are a very well built guitar.
The solid bodies are made in the Fuji Gen Gakki plant.
The semi- hollowbodies are made in the Tarada (?) palnt.

They are just basically the 3rd version of Gibson Japan guitars.
Orville and Orville by Gibson being the first.
Then Epiphone Japan being second.
Now Epiphone Elite (Elitist). Being the 3rd.

But, this is the first time the Japan models are being offered in the States.
Orville and Epi Japan were not.

People seem to praise the Orvilles but dis the Elitists. I don't get it.
They are the same guitar from the same factory. And actually the Elitist has many improvements over the Orville models.

Also, a model like the Epi Elitist LP Plus with it's features is designed to be an alternative to the Gibby usa LP Standard. Not the Studio or Classic.

As for prices. If I ordered a Tokai LS85 new, by the time all is said and done, I'd be paying about $900 + or - .
Price of guitar + case + shipping + duties, etc..)

So in your logic Tokaiguy why would I not buy a Gibson over the Tokai?
A LP studio is only $200 more. Used for around $700.
Or better yet, A Heritage H150 or Hamer Studio. Those can be found
Used (sometimes even new) anywhere from $600 to $1200 depending on model,looks, and overall condition.
Or heck, even save some bucks and go Dean EVO Premium (Czech made).

Those great bargains on Tokais just arent out there anymore.
People have caught on to how well made many of these Japan replicas are. Whether it be Tokai, Burny, Orville, Edwards, Greco, and so on.
Your not picking them up for $200 or $300 anymore used. Within the last few years that price has doubled. On some of the Tokai and Orville, even tripled.

But, they are still a better deal than paying $1600 to $2500 for production Gibsons. Or Upwards of $4500 for Historics.

By the way I bought my Diodati (Hamamatsu factory made) for $900.
Why? I felt it was still an all around better deal. The quality of construction is top notch (as we all know with Hamamatsu products). Has many features found only on more expensive guitars. Such as body and neck binding, trap MOP inlays, Quilt top (though just a veneer over east maple , common japan practice), Dark indian rosewood fretboard (almost ebony dark. Not dyed), Honduran mahogany instead of African, and most of all Acrylic laqcuer instead of Nitro laqcuer. other features as well.

I hate Nitro. Too darn sticky. Don't care how good a guitar sounds, if the feel is crappy, I won't be inspired to play it.

My point being it's great to have alternatives. Even if it's only saving a few bucks. That $200 can go towards some other gear.

Don't look at the Elitist as just a lower end Gibson product, and say "why not just buy the real thing". It has many features that others may prefer over the so called real thing.

I also, think Gibson knows they can't hold off the Japan imports for ever.
Even though they are trying their darnedest with the lawsuits of late.
Eventually Tokai and others will have models that don't infringe, but do compete with the Gibson products.
So, I feel the Elitists weren't only made as an alternative to the higher priced Gibsons, but also were made to get a jump on the competition thats coming.
There are many guitars that are starting to come out in that $700 to $1100 range now. People seem to be more willing to buy guitars in that range now. Where in the past they would either go with the Sub $600 instead or just save longer and buy above $1200.

Kent

Hey Tokaiguy, Im and old 60's rocker from College Station, Tx and just got interested in MIJ guitars. This is my first post on this site. I recently became disabled and have a lot of time on my hands. I love old Gibsons and have a 69 SG Standard I bought new as a kid. Now I want a Les Paul as I really like the Allman Brothers and Billy Gibbons sound. Sounds like the Tokai might be what I could afford and come close to this sound. Where could I go looking in Dallas to find some of these? Help me please.

Thanks
Tom

:eek: Whoa! Kherman don't pop a rod! Didn"t mean to offend ya! I"m just not a fan of a LP with an Epi tag and a goofy headstock. The reason I would buy an Orville or a O by G is that it's something different, not hanging on the wall of every Guitar Center from here to ... There are still deals out there on MIJ Tokais, buy what you like... they may be great guitars , just not something I would drop the dime on. And to my friend in College Station start with E Bay, when in Dallas check the pawn shops and the local Mom and Pop music stores { Zoo Music, Arnold and Morgan etc...} I bought a Springy Sound {Blackie} for $450 on E Bay this year and traded for a Love Rock Gold Top. Kherman is right , the great deals are harder to come by and I'm sure the Epi E's are good guitars. Like Ian , I'm not buying anything new, I prefer an old guitar, at fiftyyears old I too am a relic! Maybe it's a comfort thing! :wink: TG

8) Forgot one last thing ...I did drop a dime on a Mojotone 335 today, $650 with caseand it has a "goofy headstock" but I've played one, and for the money it's real nice! Let ya know what it's like when I get back from vacation! 8) TG

Oh, I'm not upset at all.
As usual, post can't display emotion, so things can be taken wrong.

I was just trying to give a headsup what the Elitist are about.

I know because of the last few decades Epiphone has been revered as garbage.
But, I truelly feel Jim Rosenberg trying to turn the company into respected products again.
Even the Korean models have seen much improvement the last year or so.

If the Epi name bothers you, just think of the Elitist line as a Fuji product instead. No different than thier Greco brand.

Kent

Back