Peter Green mod

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone else can give you the specifics on the proper mod, but you can achieve the same effect by reversing the ground and hot leads on one of your pickups. Takes five minutes, very few things to go wrong and has the advantage of being switcheable.

The 'original' Peter Green mod involves flipping the magnet in the pickup so the orientation changes. Supposedly he also reversed the pickup itself (put it in upside down), but according to most experts this has a negligible effect on tone. From what I gather, reversing the hot and ground leads like Paladin suggested, gives you near-identical results and has the added advantages of being easier, and being switchable (ie you could wire it so you could turn the mod 'on' and 'off').

You can read more here

This thin, nasel-sound from Greeny's old Les Paul (middle position only, I believe) is always associated with Peter, but I'd bet he never went in search of this particular sound; it was probably more of an accident. He said in an interview once - if you take his recollections as accurate - that when he watched the Bluesbreakers perform before he ever joined, he was intrigued that Clapton always used only the bridge pickup. When Peter finally got his LP, he took this one step further and actually removed the neck pickup for a time. This probably accounts for it being put back in upside down, although I don't know how the magnet ever got flipped!
I find the tone quite close to the hollow thin sound of B.B.'s ES models, and maybe that's why Peter liked it.

Allegedely, his repair man decided to fiddle around while the guitar was in for repairs. Peter Green liked the tone and kept it. I believe the pickup was put in backwards by Mr. Green himself, while cleaning the guitar. I've had the mod done to two guitars, but it took a while to find a tech that would even attempt it. There's a good chance the windings will get fried if the magnet makes contact with the windings during removal/re-installation. BTW, Peter Green does RULE!

how can moving the magnet around in a PASSIVE pickup possibly fry the copper windings? I'm curious .. :-? Smacking the sharp edge of the magnet into the winding might break it's continuity, but to the best of my knowledge you'd need to chuck some notable DC volts through the winding to cause it to fry, and the only way you'd acheive that with the original magnet (pretty weak force) from any pickup is to accelerate it through the coil at about light speed. Anyone??

Never done the mod myself, I have met Peter Green though. Nice man, but a good advert for the "just say no" campaign.

Piece of cake....

Loosen the four screws at the baseplate, pull the magnet out and flip long way. I've done this many times(hey...I'm Green's #1 fan). Remember, you won't hear a huge difference unless you work your volume controls when in the center position... :D

Latest posts

Back