Fresher Les Paul - Infos needed!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fresher Les Paul-Model - Need all available informations

• Fresher Les Paul-models are underrated Guitars

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Fresher Les Pauls are average MIJ-Guitars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A real windfall! Yesterday I received a BURNY LP-model (BTW:hey Oli, great guitar!) to do some fine-tunings, new setup, some repair-jobs and on. I opened the case and found this great faded honeyburst/(s)unburst Flametop! Could be the twin of my FRESHER Les Paul FL-800 (you surely have noticed 1-2 images of that guitar in this thread :wink: ), so please enjoy the following pics:
BURNYFRESHER-s-unburstFlametops1.jpg

BURNYFRESHER-s-unburstFlametops5.jpg

BURNYFRESHER-s-unburstFlametops3.jpg

BURNYFRESHER-s-unburstFlametops.jpg

The awesome GRECO Super Real EGF-850 refin-top, owned by BigEd came visiting my place. Next to my Fresher FL-800 the other visitor, a Burny 'GR-75'. A great slight?burst flametop-trio!
Some images (please enjoy):
GRECOEGF-850-FRESHERFL-800-BURNY-6.jpg

GRECOEGF-850-FRESHERFL-800-BURNY-5.jpg

GRECOEGF-850-FRESHERFL-800-BURNY-4.jpg

GRECOEGF-850-FRESHERFL-800-BURNY-1.jpg

I found some detailed pics I?d like to share. The ?50s top hat knobs are from FATBOY RE-VIBE L/P SHOP. Really great stuff there!
Please enjoy:
FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-10.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-9.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-8.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-7.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-6.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-5.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-4.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-3.jpg

Nice, very much like the aged parts. Might just get some of thos knobs myself :D The new onesI've got on my Navigator look plain wrong.

Looks like you bought the knurled nut, switch knob and jack plate too :wink: Nice!

Dave

Only the knobs are FATBOY-replacements. Nut & jack-plate are original ?78 Fresher-parts. Real MOJO! The switch-tip is a std.-aftermarket amber tip. I polished the molding-marks off, that?s it.

Yes, you?re right. That?s a very unusual sight. I?m a cabinetmaker and had some doubts, but the Fresher catalog says 'Mahogany'. It?s an early Gibson 'Norlin'-construction: Pancake-body with maple-layer, maple-top, 1pc-mahogany neck (with heel-cap).
FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-11.jpg

Through a magnifier the color and texture of the body-wood in the finish-chips looks the same as the neck-wood, wich definitively is mahogany.
FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-13.jpg

Yesterday I installed a set of CRAZYPARTS aged nickel single-line single-ring green tulips (?59 Kluson tuner replicas). To log them by digi-cam I took a few new detail-pics again to practise on a newer camera. The results:
CRAZYPARTS green tulips:
FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-1.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotchFla.jpg

Some distinguished viewing angles:
FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-19.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-18.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-16.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-15.jpg

FresherLesPaulFL-800butterscotch-14.jpg

The former owner of the posted FRESHER Les Paul, Big Ed, showed his awesome GRECO 'Top'-restoration some days ago ( http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13557 ). Meanwhile I bought 2 guitars from this very nice guy, we stayed in contact and became 'guitar-buddys'. The FRESHER LP was originally equipped with some really 'cheap' inlays. Crazyparts offered a very cool celluloid-set, recommended by Big Ed. Ed, who installed the same inlay-set in his GRECO EGF-850 offered me to do the 'job', wich I could not refuse. The following pics will show you exactly a step by step photo-documentary of Big Ed?s excellent work:

The Crazyparts real celluloid inlay-set:

Crazyparts-InlaysforFRESHERLP-ta-2.jpg

1:1 compared to the originals:

01_fresher_0001.jpg

The FRESHER Les Paul with original inlays:

01_fresher_0002.jpg

01_fresher_002.jpg

01_fresher_003.jpg

01_fresher_001.jpg

The following post will show you Big Ed?s first Step, cutting/milling out the original inlays.

Step 1 is done! The original inlays are 'history' now. Comin?up are the pictures of cutting/milling out the orig. inlays:

01_fresher_004.jpg

01_fresher_005.jpg

01_fresher_006.jpg

01_fresher_007.jpg

After cleaning the inlay-carvings from old glue-remnants:

01_fresher_009.jpg

Here you can see the removed orig. plastic-inlays next to the Crazyparts real celluloid-inlays:

01_fresher_008.jpg

The new inlays and their new place of destination. Some of the carvings are minimally smaller than the inlays, so some carvings need to be tight-fitted.

01_fresher_012.jpg

01_fresher_011.jpg

01_fresher_010.jpg

01_fresher_013.jpg

Coming next is step 2, the tight-fitting of the carvings. Eagerly I?m awaiting the next lot of images from Big Ed. I?ll show ?em immediately.

See ya,
Ralf

Arrived a few days ago and minus a nice bash in the back edge of it from something hitting it during transport :( it is **** nice! Weighs in at about 10 lbs, BEEFY neck and a gorgeous 2 piece solid top (nice flame on one side that catches the light)and 1 piece back (veneered perhaps?). The neck is mahogany for sure but it has flame in it? The grain is definitely not maple but the flame is there and legit which boggles me. Also has the Burny style short tenon and similar looking pup cavities.

It is a pancake 70's style body and the pups are built onto a circuit board LOL however they sound surprisingly good and have a nice Page tone/growl to them.
It was such a good deal that I bit on the sale and it is always nice to have some info and pics up for others who may stumble upon Fresher. They make a nice guitar!

img1628nx.jpg

img1629t.jpg

img1633fh.jpg

img1634s.jpg

img1635hs.jpg

And the ding from shipping :( - check out how they used strips of mahogany for the waist?
img1638w.jpg

Oh Ralf...man you should see the aged inlays in my Fresher....gorgeous & on par + with my 78 Tokai. Will send you and post more pics tomorrow during the daylight. Cheers mate.

Hi Chris,

I still have the orig. DiMarzio PU?s of my FRESHER (somewhere in a cabinet...), but I haven?t heard them with this guitar. When I bought that Lester former owner Big Ed had replaced them with the fantastic DAVID BARFUSS 'Greeny Blues-Set'. Your FRESHER Leo Nine seems to have a different pancake-construction, made of small/lathy mahogany-bars, a maple-layer and a veneer on the back. The flamed mahogany-neck looks killer! Eagerly I expect your newer images.

Gotta bring the old A4 for a balance, rotation, and alignment and then once back home I will take some shots for you mate. It is sunny today so it seems like a perfect time to take more. Stay tuned. :D

Udonitron said:
Hey Ralf

Did you get all the photos I sent to you this afternoon/middle of the night your time lol?

YEP! Thanx-a-lot!!

You can post some details here, if you like. Interesting images.

What?s about the 'DONG'?

Greetings,
Ralf

Hi- My leo nine has a 2 pc soild mahg. back ( no pancake ) a soild 2 piece maple plain top. It also has a neck heal, - it looks to be made the same as my 1975 burny l.p. . the word les paul on the headstock - the older fresher's looks to be the same as the les paul on the older burnys (1975-1978)

Hey benrod,

Can you please show some PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS!!!!!!!!

...OF BOTH GUITARS !!!

I also have a 1976 BURNY-Fernandes 'Les Paul' FLG-70

Burny-FernandesLesPaulFLG-70toba-8.jpg

(click here for detail & more images http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=99979&highlight=#99979 )

FresherLesPaulstdFL-800buttersco-11.jpg

mojoburst said:
Udonitron said:
Hey Ralf

Did you get all the photos I sent to you this afternoon/middle of the night your time lol?

YEP! Thanx-a-lot!!

You can post some details here, if you like. Interesting images.

What?s about the 'DONG'?

Greetings,
Ralf

The dong? Did I get one of my girlfriend's toys in one of the photos or? LOL :lol:

Latest posts

Back