First Time buyer .... did I get taken??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SneakyJapan, Yes i'm fairly new to this site, and yes there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, and yes there have been several people that have helped me, but the person that started this thread did not know how to check to see if his guitar had a plywood body. He's the one i was giving the info to. Hoping to help him. (much like the help i've been given at this forum)Other than that all i'm saying is there is not a hairs difference between Korean Epi's and Korean Tokais, and that i think they are both made at the Samick plant in Korea. Anyway, To each there own, as i do like set neck Epi Les Pauls and own a couple of them. 8)

Well key point is Steve250 ? he?s right;?..the 2000 Catalogue DOES specify some Korean models as ?Plywood?. So I?m happy to apologise for my initial scepticism ? sorry Oakley, but it does now appear that MIK Tokai did/does use plywood bodies on some models :oops: . Maybe you should return to the shop and get it changed for an MIJ?.or better still get your money back :eek: ?

Ian.

right I`d wager they are made in the same factory along with countless other brands. They probably just swap the decals on the headstocks. Had a MIK DeArmond for a while but it was heavy so got rid of it... now I`m looking for a used one to get the pups out to put into another guitar.

Yeah my Tokai catalogs say plywood too... no point in beating around the bush or using euphemisms eh. Don`t know why but every time I read the word plywood I think of the ping pong table we had when I was a teen. Should put strings on it.

:oops: I stand corrected I looked at the 2000 catalog and found the ALS48bb model which is what oakley describes his guitar as, and it certainly says "plywood" body and the standard ALS48 model that has the transparent finish top listed as alder body. My apologies for not checking this first before offering my thoughts on this sublect :oops: :oops:

Well I just did the obvious thing, & did a search for ?Plywood? ? 17 hits (should have looked right away :) lol). Funny enough this exact same issue came up for an MIK ALS48 in June 2003, and Javelin actually replied saying ?tops seem to be plywood? :eek: . James and Augustin noted cat. refs. to plywood as early as March 2002 and Jan 2001 respectively. Moral ? check the cats, & use Search lol! Oakley, you still there mate, or have you fainted :roll: ?

Ian.
Ps, Sun ? those 17 hits show that almost nobody on this forum had any clear idea about plywood Tokais, but at least we all know better now :-? .

Thanks Ian, but i still feel like a total moron for searching not the info before i gave an opinion. Your right at least we know better now. Oakley, i'm truly sorry for steering you wrong :oops: ! Maybe the store you bought it at will let you trade up?

still here... hate to read the last few developments.

Thanks to all that have taken the time to reply. I am going to be calling the guitar shop today to have a discussion on this matter.

I may just end up keeping the rig tho, because it looks so nice, and it does sound very Les Paulish...

Does Plywood adversely affect the tones?

You know Oakley i hate to use cliche's but tone is in the ear of the beholder. Every one hears something diffrent. If you like the sound thats all that matters really. I like solid body guitars, but thats me. I've actully seen Stevie Ray Vaughan play a cheap Fender Squire and guess what? He sounded Like SRV :eek: . So i would say a large part of your tone is you and your pick ups as well. If you like this axe just play it and enjoy it and dont sweat the plywood or not issue. Worrying will only take away from the pleasure you'll get from playing it 8)

ok ... I just pulled my pickups out and checked, and what from what I could tell the wood had a reddish brown tint and didn't look like plywood...

I have noticed that there are now a few surface scratches on the finish. What is the best way to get rid of the scratches? Jim Dunlop Formula 65 didn't seem to help.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Just talked to the salesman at the guitar shop and he insists that it is an alder body with a maple top. Who knows... I am probably making too much of nothing.

Thats great i'm glad to hear that. As for the scratches there are two methods i use first one is a VERY fine rubbing compound follow directions on the label. Then a good car wax such as meguires or mothers car wax and sealer, Gently rub out the scratch wih a SMALL amount of compound, then go over with the wax/sealer buff to a high gloss. Your local auto parts store can point you in the right direction in the wax aisle. The second is Novus plastic polish steps 1 and 2 use step 2 to remove the scratch and step 1 to polish afterwards. the novus system works so well because it was developed for using on clear plastic. This is also carried in auto parts stores and motorcycle shops and some hobbie shops as well. Give it a try its easy. 8)

Hey Oakely where are you exactly? You mentioned your guitar had the Gibson style headstock, and lately all i've seen has been love rocks with a gumby looking headstock and a cut away thay looks like the guild bluesbird. In fact i saw in last months issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine a whole page add of the new love rocks. I was under the impression the Gibson style headstock was for the European and Asian markets. Due to the fact Gibson loves to use its legal department for anything that can be remotely interpeted as a copy right infringement :roll: , in fact i think Les Paul had to pay them royalties eveytime he signs his name....lol hahaha :lol:

Agree with Sun526 ? I think guys often worry far too much about so called ?tone wood? & fancy fittings etc., but then again ? I was pretty sure your guitar would have a maple top, ? so what do I know? Eh, ...don?t answer that lol :roll: .

Best wishes, & keep us posted on what you decide to do :-? .

Ian.

Oakley, not sure if thats good or bad? Saskatchewan.....hum?..... that name dont really roll of the tongue now does it? :lol: Just kidding Canada one of the most Beautiful places i've seen :D In fact next month I'm going to peterborough for a two week fishing trip. Did you try my suggestions for removing those scratches on your guitar? 8)

Sneaky.. how in the heck do yo know about the Riders?????? Sadly, I must report that the Riders are off to a 1-4 start and are severely underachieving.

Sun.. I haven't been able to try the scratch removal techniques you told me about due to work.. but on my days off I will be fixing it up.

I will say that I never expected the Tokai guitar community to be as supportive as I have found this forum to be. Thanks all for replying...actually started playing my guitar this morning rather than worry too much about its construction and I know I am really going to enjoy using it!

I know because... I`m from Montreal. In Japan now but I won`t be forever, we are still thinking about where we will relocate once we decide to go back. Japan is beautiful.... but man it`s small.

:eek: The Epi Elite...? I don't get it. Why not get a Gibo if thats what you really want? They want more for these Epi's than what I paid for a my LP Classic 60! I remember the first Epi LP's from the 90's and they were plain awful, poorly routed, necks off center and butt ugly. I know they are much improved but at the price of a MIJ LR why not search for a good deal? There are still many knowledgable people who have no clue about a MIJ Tok and so thats to our advantage! Here in Dallas there are a lot of "Pre-owned" Tokais floating around {Dallas/Ft.Worth was the home of IMC, Tokai Distribution} so I'm in a great location for my hobby, stick with the MIJ and you'll know what you've got. Happy Hunting!TG 8)

Back