Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Time buyer .... did I get taken??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sun526
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the double post, My bad
Steve250SWB
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old 2000 catalogue

http://www.tokairegistry.com/catalogs.html#Cat00

the ALS 48 is listed as alder body, although some ALS48 'variants' are listed as plywood.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m pretty sure we all know what plywood looks like . The Epi story may or may not be fabricated, you could go to the thread and post that point of view and see what others think... you may even get a reply from the owner of the guitar.
sun526

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SneakyJapan, not everyone knows what plywood looks like in guitar construction, as it can be hard to tell, ie... some see three pieces of mahogany glued up for the body and think its a plywood body when its not! Thats why i posted the description. As for the busted Epi i seen the photos from the thread it looks like a fake to me. I have had necks off set neck Epi Les Pauls for neck resets, broken necks, heel breaks,and even to install a new truss rod and a new fingerboard, not to mention changing p'ups and even regluing a broken into two pieces body. I never run across anything that remotely looks like that cocked up mess in those photos. Her story indicates that she bought a forgery from a crooked seller! Besides if she bought a Epi from a authorized Epi dealer, they would have fixed it or most likely given her a new guitar. Epiphone have a lifetime warranty and are extremely good about standing behind their product!
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh
you are relatively new here but if you stick around you`ll find there are some extremely knowledgable folks on this site and many have helped me out when I asked for it. The Epi story is all specualtion... could be true may not be, not that I plan on buying an Epiphone anyway, so it makes no nevermind to me.
sun526

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SneakyJapan, Yes i'm fairly new to this site, and yes there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, and yes there have been several people that have helped me, but the person that started this thread did not know how to check to see if his guitar had a plywood body. He's the one i was giving the info to. Hoping to help him. (much like the help i've been given at this forum)Other than that all i'm saying is there is not a hairs difference between Korean Epi's and Korean Tokais, and that i think they are both made at the Samick plant in Korea. Anyway, To each there own, as i do like set neck Epi Les Pauls and own a couple of them.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well key point is Steve250 ? he?s right;?..the 2000 Catalogue DOES specify some Korean models as ?Plywood?. So I?m happy to apologise for my initial scepticism ? sorry Oakley, but it does now appear that MIK Tokai did/does use plywood bodies on some models . Maybe you should return to the shop and get it changed for an MIJ?.or better still get your money back ?

Ian.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right I`d wager they are made in the same factory along with countless other brands. They probably just swap the decals on the headstocks. Had a MIK DeArmond for a while but it was heavy so got rid of it... now I`m looking for a used one to get the pups out to put into another guitar.

Yeah my Tokai catalogs say plywood too... no point in beating around the bush or using euphemisms eh. Don`t know why but every time I read the word plywood I think of the ping pong table we had when I was a teen. Should put strings on it.
sun526

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected I looked at the 2000 catalog and found the ALS48bb model which is what oakley describes his guitar as, and it certainly says "plywood" body and the standard ALS48 model that has the transparent finish top listed as alder body. My apologies for not checking this first before offering my thoughts on this sublect
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just did the obvious thing, & did a search for ?Plywood? ? 17 hits (should have looked right away lol). Funny enough this exact same issue came up for an MIK ALS48 in June 2003, and Javelin actually replied saying ?tops seem to be plywood? . James and Augustin noted cat. refs. to plywood as early as March 2002 and Jan 2001 respectively. Moral ? check the cats, & use Search lol! Oakley, you still there mate, or have you fainted ?

Ian.
Ps, Sun ? those 17 hits show that almost nobody on this forum had any clear idea about plywood Tokais, but at least we all know better now .
sun526

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, but i still feel like a total moron for searching not the info before i gave an opinion. Your right at least we know better now. Oakley, i'm truly sorry for steering you wrong ! Maybe the store you bought it at will let you trade up?
OakleyVisor
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still here... hate to read the last few developments.

Thanks to all that have taken the time to reply. I am going to be calling the guitar shop today to have a discussion on this matter.

I may just end up keeping the rig tho, because it looks so nice, and it does sound very Les Paulish...

Does Plywood adversely affect the tones?
sun526

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Oakley i hate to use cliche's but tone is in the ear of the beholder. Every one hears something diffrent. If you like the sound thats all that matters really. I like solid body guitars, but thats me. I've actully seen Stevie Ray Vaughan play a cheap Fender Squire and guess what? He sounded Like SRV . So i would say a large part of your tone is you and your pick ups as well. If you like this axe just play it and enjoy it and dont sweat the plywood or not issue. Worrying will only take away from the pleasure you'll get from playing it
OakleyVisor
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ... I just pulled my pickups out and checked, and what from what I could tell the wood had a reddish brown tint and didn't look like plywood...

I have noticed that there are now a few surface scratches on the finish. What is the best way to get rid of the scratches? Jim Dunlop Formula 65 didn't seem to help.

Thanks again for all the replies.
OakleyVisor
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talked to the salesman at the guitar shop and he insists that it is an alder body with a maple top. Who knows... I am probably making too much of nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: