How much better is the SD JB / 59 combination?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooncat

Reaction score
Hi there

I've got a 2003 LS70F with the standard Gotoh pickups. I had these pickups wax potted as soon as I bought it because they squealed terribly under high volume.

I get the impression the standard replacements for these pickups are a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck at the bridge and a Seymour Duncan 59 at the neck. Given that those two pickups would set me back about 140 GBP, would I get that much improvement for my money (other than the ability to coil tap - any comments on tapped sounds?)? I generally play classic rock sounds - nothing too high gain.

Cheers

My Diodati 59Q has the Gotoh pickups, and my Fernandes Ravelle deluxe has the Duncan Jazz/JB combo.

I definitely prefer the Duncans over the Gotoh pickups.
The JB cuts through very nicely.
The Jazz has great clarity.
Both sound great clean or with overdrive.
Both has very nice definition.

The Gotohs sound to even. Like setting a graphic EQ sliders all to the 0 position. No definition IMHO.

Plus, I agree, they don't work well with high gain settings. Squeel a lot unless you set you volume controls to 5 or under.

I haven't tried the Duncan 59.

I just picked up a Carvin H22n/C22b combo for the Diodati.
I'm installing them this week. This combo has gotten great reviews from users. I'll see how I like them compared to the Duncans.
They've often been compared to Duncans.

Kent

I have a '59 & JB in my LS70F, and they simply rock.

I managed to get a new JB, but the '59 was 2nd hand (read cheaper!) so I got the whole lot, plus fitting for about ?110.

The JB is great with any amount of gain, sounds clear etc. I go through phases of loving them then hating them. The downside IMO is that they sound a little too "perfect" in relation to the Gotoh PAF's, which sound a little "rawer" when shown some gain, the downside is that they're a bit microphinic. IMO of course. ;)

I have the JB/59 Combination one one of my LP's and a 59/59 Combination on the other. The standard pups on my Burny also squealed like hell at hi volume. The SD's are fantastic. I found an Ebay supplier in the USA, Guitarpartsresource, who sell them a lot cheaper than we can usually get them in UK, and their service is first class.
See:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41430&item=3736727561&tc=photo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41430&item=3733810136

You should get a pair from them for around the ?100 mark inc. shipping.
Good Luck
Nik

Back