Restored 1980 Greco Super Real EGF850

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Ed said:
greco_furnier.jpg

Is that the finish jagged edge beneath the veneer? It looks very thick!

I also noticed that you have amber pickups in it!!! How do you like them?

I have Amber Vintage Plus Pickups in my Tokai ST 80 Springy Sound 1979 hehe :D :D

Step by step the Greco is now finished :p

I still accomplished the following modifications:
- Crazyparts celluloid inlays
- Fake58 shrunken tuners
- New 2009 Faber ABR-I Bridge with brass saddles
- Amber 59 PAF Pickups

Optics and sound are now perfect for me!

The Amber 59 PAF sounds simply awesome! Particularly the Neckpickup convinced me!

greco_egf850_029.jpg

greco_egf850_031.jpg

greco_egf850_032.jpg

greco_egf850_041.jpg

Now a A/B comparison with a '59 Gibson Les Paul would interest me. As near the sound of the Greco approaches now to the original.

Ed

Excellent work Ed, i wouldn't worry too much about a comparison as i have heard reports that the early LP's had good and bad guitars just like all the rest, sometimes the hype drowns out the fact that there were good ones and bad ones.. If it sounds as good as it looks then you have a winner... :)

Mick

That is one beautiful guitar Ed, feel free to post a million pics, I will never get tired of looking at them!!

Any chance you might make it to the UK Tokai convention? I would love to get my hands on that beauty!!

Sorry John!
Unfortunately I do not see a possibility. You must be content with the pictures.

Except, you bring me the Burny GoldTop personally to me :wink:

Big Ed, let me start my post by saying that I think the work you have done on this guitar is incredible. If the flame veneer on my Burny ever started to lift off, you would be the first person I would get in contact with. That looks like a real keeper of a guitar.

However, tThe one thing I would like to point out is the alignment of the pickups. To me, the bridge pickup does not look to be parallel with the neck pickup, this picture is the best demonstration of what I mean....

greco_egf850_032.jpg

Is it just a trick of the eye? Maybe I am wrong. I would like to know what you think though. Again, I am not having a go at your work, I just want to know if I am going crazy or not :eek:

Madness, how exactly the pictures are regarded! Correctly, with this photo series the bridge pickup was diagonally installed around 0.5 mm.
I disassemled and again assembled the Greco several times. For these photographs I had surveyed it simple. This fault is however for a long time repaired, as following picture proves. Now the distance on both sides is correct 60mm!

greco_egf850_052.jpg

Back