Worth Renovating? - Turns out I gotta sell it, but how?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japscot

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who helped with my previous post about renovations, but things have changed. To put it simply, my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy last Monday and I'm over the moon. His feet are kinda mashed up though and it looks like he needs some long term treatment to straighten them out. If I was back home in the U.K. this wouldn't be too big a problem, but cos I'm in Japan treatment is NOT cheap - and I'm skint.
I gotta sell everything I don't need. This includes the '81 love rock.
Cos I'm desperate I can't afford to hold out for the highest price, so how do you suggest I try to sell it?
Of course I've heard of Ebay but I've never used it; would you buy a guitar from someone in a foreign country with zero feedback?
And yes, I know I could take it to any second hand shop and get maybe 50 quid for it.
Sorry for the hard luck story guys but any suggestions?

Sadly my japanese is pretty bad (worse than my english) so I wouldn't have the first clue.
I've left a message with a guitar collector I know (more than 120 guitars) but I know he'd just be looking to make money on the deal. I'd much rather find someone who would actually play the thing.

If you're willing to ship internationally, the early love rocks are commanding some pretty high prices on ebay. The feedback thing may put some off but get some decent pics and a thorough description and you're bound to generate some interest. People would probably be willing to buy a japanese guitar from a japan-based ebayer.

Or maybe someone here with a good ebay profile would be willing to act as a middleman.

I'm sure there may be one or two people here interested and willing to give you a good price. TBH I'm quite tempted - a love rock as old as I am. 8)

Great idea!
Any middlemen around?
'Course it would be easier if there were any takers here in japan...

And as for decent pics...I'm on it! I'll post the links when finished. Is it ok to show the whole serial no.? I notice most people don't.

OK new pics at:
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cojomo2002/album?.dir=/9f48&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cojomo2002/my_photos

I don't wanna rip anyone off so I'll tell you the problems....
The pic of the knobs didn't turn out too well but the second tone knob needs replacing. Kinda weird but the tob of the knob is still there so you can still use it.
I've been playing it only for the last coupla days since I cleaned it up. Sounds great but both volume controls have a slight crackling when u turn them. No problem for normal use (doesn't cut out or nothing) but "violin" effects might be a problem.
Frets are fine too (though I'm not a pro) no fret buzz anywhere. To be honest I don't think it's been played for a long long time.
As for the bodywork, there are a few minor dings but nothing big or unexpected from a 23 year old guitar.
An ebay middleman would be great, but direct offers or requests for more info would be fine too. (Is it ok to post my email address? Guess so)
[email protected]

Back