I need some help please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Mark, have you looked into Rivera amps,they have some real beauties that have great cleans and devastating high gain, point to point as well...

Mick

i thought they were pcb?

I was referring to the Rivera K tre and as far as i know it is point to point, i was told this by a guy that owns one although what most people refer to as point to point isn't really true. They are a thunderous amp....

Mick

i was under the impression that they were all pcb (or most of them, anyway). the k-tre is top of the range, though, so maybe it's different, I don't know. :)

here you can find picures of lots known /unknown amps - inside the amps
http://spinoo.free.fr/projetG5/Images%20Amplis/

btw - talking about point to point
read this on pcb board ;)

vht_deliverance6.jpg

Thats funny. I was reading about point to point amps a couple of months ago and it was notable how many different opinions there were as to what constituted Point to point construction, i think the VHT boys may be trying to clear that up.... :p

Mick

For the sake of avoiding a debate, i prefer "hand wired" amps to circuit board amps, when done well they look amazing inside the cabinet, and i suspect, easier to repair and work on.

Mick

ok, VHT SIg X is repaired, it was just one resistor ;)
3 channels, clean is very nice, gain can go till really high gain. 40w/100w switch, lots of switches on every channel, totally independent channels. nice footswitch, you can switch btw channels, add extra gain on each channel and switch in/off effect loop. maybe this is what you've looking for.
villager: I can make some samples if you want, just say what kind of guitar do you want I use for record.

villager said:
I am now narrowed down to a diezel einstein or a cornford MK50 mk2... I like the look of both those amps....

I like the sounds of these two amps but I don't like the fact that they have a lot of knobs and switches, the einstein even more. Too many options when all you need is a good sounding amp and maybe a three knobs eq. I like to have a master control and a presence knob too.

I know that you have already narrowed but if I was in your position :lol: I'd put a vintage Fender Showman head -> tons of clean headroom, over a vintage JTM45 head, over a custom cabinet divided in two sections; a couple of Greenbacks speakers for the Marshall and a couple of Celestions or similar for the cleans.

If you don't like them, you'll always keep the value in a future sale but if I couldn't get good cleans and good drive with that, I'd simply change my guitar for an accordion and I'd get started with some polka. :lol: Do you like polka?

A JTM-45 is a very clean amp with tons of headroom, gets in to AC-DC territory at full volume which is very loud indeed, not the high-gain machine Villager is looking for, in fact it's very similar to the showman in sound and design.

A fantastic amp for sure though!

JohnA said:
A JTM-45 is a very clean amp with tons of headroom, gets in to AC-DC territory at full volume which is very loud indeed, not the high-gain machine Villager is looking for, in fact it's very similar to the showman in sound and design.

I think Showman is winner in clean headroom. It is widely used by surf bands that need tons of clean headroom, both, the Showman and the dual Showman.

If JTM45 is not enough high gain... mmmmh what about my favourite Marshall, a JCM800?

A Showman head over a a JCM800 head and a switch like this one to swap between them;

clip0001.jpg

...you can't go heavier than that!

Have you considered Axe-fx?
My friends bring their amps over sometimes, and when we do blindfold tests, they cannot tell my Axe patch from their amps. I can get all sounds I want from Fender to Marshall to Mesa, all in 1 box. Plus effects.
Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back