• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

My 67 Yamaha SB-5/7a.. Thinking of movin' it on..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Mow

Reaction score
I guess I'm just seeing there is any interest as I know this forum is a fairly knowledgeable bunch!

Ok, theres no way of knowing if its a 5a or a 7a, the specs listed on the Yamaha site are very similar, it mentions a 'movable' bridge and 'cell padding' on the 7a, I'm not sure if this means 'adjustable' bridge and cell padding? Is this the string mute? Did the 5a NOT have these? It could be this is a 7a.. I really don't know, even trawling the Japanese sites, they seem to be somewhat confused.

Its a tricky one this one.. I guess its a bit of a collectors piece.
I sort of went through a bit of vintage japan burst and.. well.. Ended up with my 79 Heerby Ric copy (I'm seriously thinking of moving this too), my Greco Fretless and this Yammie.. end of the day I'm not really into this whole vintage thing, I'm worried about playing them at gigs cos they tend to be a little 'fragile' (hey, they're older than me!).

I'm gigging twice a week at the moment and really I could do with a new amp and some other bits n pieces rather than a nice vintage bass that doesn't get any love!

I'm really not sure price wise, I see them sell in japan from 80,000 to 180,000 yen.. I guess if someone wants it lets talk.

Mine is in pretty decent condition, has a few parts which tend to not come with them (bridge cover and mute plate), but has had the electrics redone as the originals were shot.. and someone at some stage had converted it (I'm sure there were 2 original pots) to V,V,T Its back to V,T, Balance as it should be).. Aside from that, its all original, the tuners are **** near as new (most of them by now had crumbled and fallen apart), the finish is really good with a few bumps here and there and some belt 'worming' on the back, the neck is straight, the frets are a pretty worn (but still plays nice).

Its a 32" scale, medium scale is how you would describe it, two single coil pickups, gives it a fairly honky sound.

There was a black plastic 'cap' that went on the back of the bridge cover for these, most people chucked em out or lost them, this still has one, but it got a chunk cracked off..

It has a hard case as well.. its old, dirty and smells! Its the proper shape for it.. but.. There is no Yamaha branding on it.. I'm not sure if it was custom made or supplied by Yamaha locally (as Fender did in the UK in the 60's).

Oh, the other catch.. I'm in Australia!

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

You can see all the pics at http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Mowchai/Yamaha%20SB5a/

I'm interested. :p But I'm in France. depends how much shipping would cost. Most I've seen are in the 70 000 /90 000? fork depending on the condition.

Mr. Mow, just try to check for Yamaha recent catalogs(2000s) when they reissue this guitars,you could find a key there.....I guess I had any around but don?t know where I put them....

Don't sell it mate! It's an absolute beaut. Would love to buy an SGV one day. It's one of the only radically alternative guitar shapes that really works imo.

20 century boy said:
finally, I've found one for 4500? ( 65000?), original knobs are missing but it was a good deal! :)
Waoo, I don't know what is your exchange rate, but it's a good swindle... :p

Latest posts

Back