Nitro/lacquer finish

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tompski

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone could clear this up? I am waiting on a new LS150 from Japan and someone on the gear page said that nitro is not legal in Japan, so what exactly is it that I will get on my guitar, and is this the reason they call it lacquer rather than Nitro?

There are a couple of different types of lacquer but i can absolutely guarantee that my Tokai has a nitrocelluose lacquer finish on it and i can still order guitars with it as a finish . Jacaranda is a banned product as well but it is still available also. Just remember, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one...... :wink:

Mick

Trust me.... when you open the case of your guitar for the first time, take a big whiff of it.... it's nitro. The smell is very distinct from other lacquer types.

marcusnieman said:
Trust me.... when you open the case of your guitar for the first time, take a big whiff of it.... it's nitro. The smell is very distinct from other lacquer types.

I really don't get this smell thing. I have a few nitro finished guitars, old & new, & I have never noticed them smelling different to poly finished guitars. Mind you, they don't live in cases - what's the point of having a great guitar and shutting it away in a case?

Mike

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:

I really don't get this smell thing. I have a few nitro finished guitars, old & new, & I have never noticed them smelling different to poly finished guitars. Mind you, they don't live in cases - what's the point of having a great guitar and shutting it away in a case?

Mike

I meant to say on a newly built guitar.....obviously the smell dissipates over time. My Edwards 335 and my recent LS150 were on backorder when I purchased them.... had to wait for them to be built. So when they arrived, so too did the vapor.

Tompski said:
nitro is not legal in Japan

What is not legal in a lot of countries is some of the components that nitro lacquers had in the 50s decade.

Current nitro lacquers are not exactly the same mixture than in early electric guitars but I'm pretty sure that no body can tell the difference :lol:

ganzua said:
Tompski said:
nitro is not legal in Japan

What is not legal in a lot of countries is some of the components that nitro lacquers had in the 50s decade.

Current nitro lacquers are not exactly the same mixture than in early electric guitars but I'm pretty sure that no body can tell the difference :lol:

I think we're sniffing the cork too much here.... it's still lacquer and not poly. Nitro has just become a generic name for lacquer

marcusnieman said:
I think we're sniffing the cork too much here.... it's still lacquer and not poly. Nitro has just become a generic name for lacquer

Yes, right, but that thing called nitro that are using the current guitar builders is not exactly the same nitro that was applied in the fifties.

That's why you can read in some forums that "nitro is forbidden". It is not that the nitro is forbidden, it is that some of the old components that it used to have are not allowed anymore for ambiental reasons.

Obviously, if use the nitro for sniffing, you will probably notice some differences :lol: For painting guitars it is practically the same.

Well said....

I think alot of things have changed since the fifties in terms of products now found to be harmful to humans or the environment (leaded gasoline, leaded paint, asbestos in flooring, insulation, mercury in thermometers, etc)

marcusnieman said:
Well said....

I think alot of things have changed since the fifties in terms of products now found to be harmful to humans or the environment (leaded gasoline, leaded paint, asbestos in flooring, insulation, mercury in thermometers, etc)

Lead is definitely bad for you; nerve damage, developmental issues, etc. However, that isn't why lead was removed from gasoline. That was done from a tuning and emissions standpoint. If tetraethyl lead was still in gasoline, it would foul the catalytic converter within a relatively short time. In any event, reducing the lead content of just about eveything is a good idea. Except maybe pencils.. 8)

Mick51 said:
marcusnieman said:
Well said....

Lead is definitely bad for you; nerve damage, developmental issues, etc. However, that isn't why lead was removed from gasoline. That was done from a tuning and emissions standpoint. If tetraethyl lead was still in gasoline, it would foul the catalytic converter within a relatively short time. In any event, reducing the lead content of just about eveything is a good idea. Except maybe pencils.. 8)

Sorry, my bad.... you're right.

Mick51 said:
In any event, reducing the lead content of just about eveything is a good idea. Except maybe pencils.. 8)

Well actually, no. The "lead" in pencils isn't lead, it's graphite. That's why it makes such an effective lubricant when rubbed in the slots of a guitar nut.

Not to throw cold water on the whole nitro thing, but to my ears (that have played, performed and recorded for nearly 30 years now), I can't really hear a distinct difference between poly and nitro. Now I know that there are different types of poly, some really thick and hideous, some very light...and I suppose that most of the poly instruments I have owned have been good quality poly. But again, I've tested my really expensive Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls against both Edwards and Tokai's with the same pickup configuration, and there just isn't an appreciable tone difference at all...go figure.... :roll:

clay49 said:
Not to throw cold water on the whole nitro thing, but to my ears (that have played, performed and recorded for nearly 30 years now), I can't really hear a distinct difference between poly and nitro. Now I know that there are different types of poly, some really thick and hideous, some very light...and I suppose that most of the poly instruments I have owned have been good quality poly. But again, I've tested my really expensive Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls against both Edwards and Tokai's with the same pickup configuration, and there just isn't an appreciable tone difference at all...go figure.... :roll:

While I agree with you in regards to tone, I think there is a difference in feel, historical
accuracy and the way the instrument will age over time. These are all reasons why I prefer
nitro personally. :D

RyanC said:
While I agree with you in regards to tone, I think there is a difference in feel, historical
accuracy and the way the instrument will age over time. These are all reasons why I prefer
nitro personally. :D

+1. The problem is that you usually have to pay a lot more for a nitro finished guitar (compare ST80 prices with ST50 prices), & the guitar will be a little better.

Back