Tokai SG's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meanpeoplesuck1

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here.

I found out about Tokai and its great copies a while ago, and heard they are gonna be sued by Gibson.

Can anyone give me a quick run down on Tokai's different SG models, which are the higher end ones, which are the more budget line models etc?

I'm looking at the USG60, is that a good model?

Thanks a million!

They only do a couple, the SG60 being the best (or it may be SG70 by now, the number is an indicator of list price). I don't know about a USG model, but I'd guess it's a US compliant line with altered features such as a different headstock or control layout.

The contravertial tokais are the domestic japanese and european models which are near exact replicas of the gibsons. You used to be able to order them from Canada but I'm not sure if you can anymore with Gibson getting shirty. You can still get them from Japan though - at least for a while, as gibson are trying to shut them down at the source (legally they may not have a claim overseas, but we'll see). The SG60 is probably the one you want.

I found a site in the UK which will deliver to Ireland for me, all their pics are of the Japanese models (not US compliant).

Are the Tokai USG60's based on the Gibson Standard SG, or the Gibson 1961 reissue SG?

How do Tokai succeed in copying this guitar? Is it accurate? Same quality as Gibson etc?

Thanks a million

I'm no expert on SG's but I think the tokai is a '61 going by looks alone. Someone else can confirm that.

I'd take a tokai over an SG special or faded, but I'd probably take the Standard over a tokai.

I've owned a Tokai SG 60 (laterly called USG 60 I believe) for just over 2 years from new. It is basically a clone of the SG 61 re-issue and in my opinion is far better quality/construction thatn the Giggo offering, as well as approx half UK price. My has the original Gibbo headstock shape although the later ones now sport the additional 'pip' at the top of the headstock like most of the curent Love Rocks etc. It is overall an excellent axe.

Bobw

Thanks BobW,

but about the headstock, the USG is the US compliant model of the guitar, the SG60 is still available in its Japanese format. This means they don't all have that pip on the top, although I'm a bit confused as to what you mean, because the US compliant models all had flat tops to the headstock, as opposed to the usual sorta flowey curve of a Gibson..

for example, this is an SG60..
http://members.lycos.co.uk/tokaiguitars/SG.htm

note the unaltered headstock

The headstock on mine is as shown in the picture you posted, but in the UK the later ones have this additional 'pip' of protrusion at the centre top instead if the 'v' shape. I have a recent UK catalogue where they are now referred to as USG60 and there is also an SG Custom clone ie three pickups in antique white/cream. Follow the link below for the SG Custom and look closeley at the headstock. (Goto solids / Tokai)

www.guitarvillage.co.uk/index1.htm

Sorry if this sounds confusing but I can't find another picture at present.

Bob

Also have a look at the UK Tokai distributor website:
www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/main.htm
You will find the SG models under the Loverock option??? as USG60 and USG 100. If you select the USG 60 you can just about make out the more open shape at the top of the headstock.

Bobw

Hey,

I checked out the links and I can see what you mean now, they have filled in the small kind of indent usually found in the middle of the headstock of the original models/gibsons.

It's a very small and hard thing to notice, but I am sure it represents other differences which might not be cosmetic. Should you ever want to get your hands on another original Japanese model I highly recommend Ishibashi Music. I am researching on them now and they seem cheap, helpful, and reliable straight from Japan.

Would you agree, based on your Tokais, that they can be compared to any of the Gibson models being produced today? Obviously not the custom lines, but the Standard series and the reissues. I've heard many people say Tokai blow away the modern made Gibson guitars with their matched quality and cheaper prices. Though I'm sure Gibsons older models are a different story. I am paticularly interested in your 61 reissue copy...pics? :D

meanpeoplesuck1 said:
It's a very small and hard thing to notice, but I am sure it represents other differences which might not be cosmetic.

I wouldn't think so. It's a small, lip service concession not a major shift in production philosophy.

Don't be so hung up on relative quality with all this "is it better than gibson" etc, you have to be careful not to lionise them and set yourself up for a disappointment. Play a few tokais and a few gibsons and see how good they are for yourself.

Hi,

I'm close to purchasing one - can anyone tell me what neck profile the USG60 has, I'm hoping as it's a '61 clone it's of the slimmer variety than my Gibson SG Special ("rounded" 59 I think) or Standard (slightly slimmer than the SG Special profile??

The last one I bought was a USG80. White, small guard. Pretty chunky neck profile. Didn't much care for it. It was nothing like any of the Gibson SG's I've owned. I bought it because Gibson was not making a small guard SG in white at that time. By the time I paid the shipping from Japan, bought a case for it and changed the pups I had almost as much in it as I did my SG standard. I wound up selling it at a huge loss on ebay.

Hi!
I?m playing SG?s since 1981! Had all kind of SG?s over the years. Also had a 61 RI, but sold it because of that "skinny" neck, always moving "to where ever"! You could see me standing on stage, working on my trussrod in the middle of the gig! So I didn?t like it and sold it. Still having a standard and a couple of specials, but their sound?s not very impressing.
Got two SG75?s, and they sound really great. Very good sustain (for a SG), and very fine tone. They sound way different than the specials, more sounding like older SG?s, or good RI?s or standards. They are one level to good standards and RI?s. Their neck profile is about the same as a standard, but it is rounder. It is not a RI?s profile, and that?s been one of the reasons for me, buying these guitars. It is more like a Gibsons 50?s Neck on a Les Paul. And that?s what I like! - I changed the pickups, gave em an Alu. STP, and the red one has brass saddles on the bridge.

"I like these guitars!"

good on ya, "ACY"

tokai_sgs_01.jpg

tokai_sgs_02.jpg

tokai_sgs_03.jpg

Hey GF!
Been drinking the two bottles of yeast beer you gave me, and may be the bottles not been that clean! Anyhow: These Rock?n`Roll "..tches" wonna be touched by dirty fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey ACY, come on and touch me, please, ............. give it to me, .......give it to me.............. - I like your dirty smelling fingers....................!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good on ya babes: :evil: "ACY" :evil:

Hey GF!
Have one of those good yeast beers on me! I?m going to have one on you!
nice weekend, bye: "ACY"
P.S.: Did you notice the aged pickup covers?

ACY,

I've said it before. I've never been a fan of SG's. But that red one of yours looks irresistible, especially with a 50's neck.

I just bought a Gibbo LP Custom, which is a lovely guitar, but it's left me short of funds. When I recover I think an Tokai SG has to be on the cards.

Good morning to everybody!
Yep, as I wrote I like that 50?s style necks, Tokai?s making. Never had a guitar with a thin neck, sounding good. They always been thin sounding, and not really punching. Had a customer here with a 66 SG (that model with just one P90) and that guitar just sounded very very middy. No bass, no treble, just very much middle!

I think it is like always up to personal taste, and I can understand guitar players, that do not like SG?s. Very many SG?s arround do not sound good.

The two Tokai babies are very very loud, and are very fast responding. The bass is also very good, and well defined! The mahogany used is very lightweight, so you?ll never get any problems with your back! :wink:

nice sunday, "ACY"

Back