I wanna high-end plain-top

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jackspack said:
That is gorgeous. What is a 'turnaround marking'?

See the holes in the upper corners of the inlay? "Turnarounds" are just my very unscientific term for those. It's basically a function of a router being used versus a hand-held chisel.

turnaround.jpg

Oh yeah, I see. And now I see them on mine, though only just noticeable. They match the fret board...but you have sparked a whole new discussion....

jackspack said:
Oh yeah, I see. And now I see them on mine, though only just noticeable. They match the fret board...but you have sparked a whole new discussion....

It's a shame what those do to the tone :roll: :wink:

Since I noticed its messed with everything! Did I mention I just got a deja-vibe...? Now thats fun. I need a new band in the Nottingham area...anyone know anyone?

jackspack said:
Yup, that's what I'm talking about...I have no idea how many pounds 368,000 yen is. And I wish I spoke Japanese...theres a lovely 'wood comparison' on the musicland page you posted there Sushi...
?2576.94
J

368,000 yen = 2,597.38 GBP

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

RyanC said:
This lemon drop LS1 just sold a couple weeks ago for 248,000 yen. It is the actual LD guitar
pictured in the Tokai materials, as well as on the pacifix site that Joe's link goes to.

I came soooooo close to pulling the trigger on it a couple times. One thing that turned me off
about it was the little "turnarounds" in the inlay carvings. But oh what a top!

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k111385274

really like the color on that one; reminds me of this one :)
RLGlemonsun.jpg

Yes they are,and as far as flamed top are not what used to be why paying such amount for price asked nowadays.I love Old Sunbust finish it?s a shame it?s not offered in recent Tokai catalog.
I prefer highly flamed 5A top with 3D still however but not so eay to find....

These LS-1 are very tempting sweet guitars,I guess they are full (real) long tenon am I right?

I ordered a plain two peace maple top LS150 in tobbacoburst via Wunjo in London as Bob at Tokai in Sheffield doesn't take direct orders it's going to arrive from Japan in around 3-4 months and as I understand it Bob has ordered around 12 simlar LS150s plain top in violin finish for the same shipment, so it might be worth ringing BO to see about getting one of those to come your way?

T

villager said:
or an 79-81 LS-80, high end and old wood..no turnarounds there...

That would be my choice too, the newer guitars, while great instruments are definetely missing the magic that you find with an old Reborn. Probably a better investment too!

JohnA said:
villager said:
or an 79-81 LS-80, high end and old wood..no turnarounds there...

That would be my choice too, the newer guitars, while great instruments are definetely missing the magic that you find with an old Reborn. Probably a better investment too!

My new LS150VF has alot more "magic" than my LS60 Reborn plaintop.

but LS-60 is 14 deg headstock, and that really changes the feel for me, does anyone have a reborn 80+ and a newer 150 to compare?.. would be interesting to hear thoughts..

I've got a Reborn Old LS80, and used to own a new LS135, I've also played quite a few other newish Tokais, and would take my LS80 over any of them! That's not to say the newer ones were bad guitars though.

I agree its a personal thing, even the very best of the newer navigators, historics, and tokais are not the same as the older guitars, beautiful instruments, just different..plus i love the fact that guitars have some ''previous''..

villager said:
but LS-60 is 14 deg headstock, and that really changes the feel for me, does anyone have a reborn 80+ and a newer 150 to compare?.. would be interesting to hear thoughts..

Good point but for myself only, I can't feel the difference between 14 and 18 degree headstocks. Honestly, that's never been a purchasing criteria for me.

Sure it's more authentic to Gibson spec but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not that good of a player or an Eric Johnson tone freak (no reference to you Village) to pick up the subtle nuances between the angles (while on the other hand, I see a much greater difference between brass and steel saddles, alum locking tailpieces and stock hardware).....

I just want the guitar to feel good and sound good. If not, I'm done with it regardless of the pedigree.

That's only my two cent's worth.... maybe I should pay more attention but for now, I'm cool.

I don?t agree Villager, my LS-320 sounds and feels better than my LS-80 which feel old and I like it.

Agree Marcus, feel great and sound great are the only two really important criteria (well, maybe look great too) for me the older ones just sound and feel better. Like Villager I like a guitar with a bit of 'previous' too, I used to chase after mint examples, but whether it's coincedence or not, the guitars I play most are the ones that have already had a great deal of playing.

JohnA said:
I used to chase after mint examples, but whether it's coincedence or not, the guitars I play most are the ones that have already had a great deal of playing.

My same dating strategy :wink:

I like the old worn in thing myself but AFA a "high end plain top" I have found "it" in my Bacchus BLS-59 :D

I cannot describe how good this guitar really is except to say it is nothing short of phenomenal.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13671

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14206

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14459

BLS-59sideways.jpg

Latest posts

Back