PRS Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axchisler

Reaction score
Would anyone here know about their quality control? and are they any good? I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but I see a lot of these for sale in the US for $350 to $600 range. This PRS copy looks very nice in the pics, does anyone know more about these? Is this forum strictly for the real Tokai's?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-PRS-COPY-RED-QUILTED-TOP-AWESOME_W0QQitemZ250490209557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3a52614515&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Sorry, didn't mean to double post, if it's already been discussed, anyone that could direct me to other threads about these I'd greatly appreciate it.

Are there any Japanese equivalents?

The perfect place to post, these are 'real' Tokais just as much as the Strat & LP style ones :D Yes there are Japanese versions of these guitars never played one but would assume they are just as good quality as other guitars from Tokai Japan. The Chinese Tokais I've played have been OK, but the step in quality up to the Japanese models is huge!

Edid: Just checked the link again and that on is a fake, but Tokai do produce both Chinese & Japanese PRS style guitars

Thanks JohnA. Yes I thought it was a fake, I was wondering if they are any good and made in Korea? Korea has made some really nice guitars recently and was wondering if this is no exception, even though it's a fake Tokai... So who is it? Samick?

Yep...it's a Fakai.
That one's actually built by Dillion...here's a pic of a Dillion...
dillion1.jpg

673e3.jpg

fak2.jpg

ALL of these guitars are starring over at AlmostTokaii.com...lol

I don't see why they shouldn't be...Dillion are a pretty good brand...not up to any of the MiJ quality...but pretty decent from what I've heard.
But in all honesty....I'd buy a Dillion rather than a fake Tokai any day.

Hey, that red one with the Seymour's and adjustable wrap-around bridge seems really cool...

A friend of mine has a PRS SE, he only bought it cuz he's in a Creed Tribute, I think he uses it for the open D songs. He doesn't really like it and prefers his Jackson DK. I haven't seen any carved tops or neck binding like these Tokai/Dillion have, which is what I like about them. Know where I can get a Japanese Tokai PRS?

I had a MIK one with the dot neck and the whammy bar. It was pretty awful. I would like to try one with the stop tailpiece.

I have one of those PRS Fakais. They are decent guitars. I had some (fixable) issues with mine.
I'd say that without the Fakai stigma it's a $350 guitar.

It was listed by L.A. Music, which is a Canadian Store, in Mississauga just west of Toronto. It is a Fakai. Proof is in the pictures - the back and front of the the head stock - "Make in Korea" and the one screw truss rod cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRS-Tokai-McCarty-Quilted-Top-Super-Guitar-slight-use_W0QQitemZ130335427246QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item1e5898caae

how bout this one? is it a tokai? i haven't seen a review for it on HC and it has the same inlays as the dillion copy posted above

Here is one I used to own, I thought it was a very well made guitar, made in Japan and I think I got it from ebay for about ?350. Bob from Tokai UK said that they have to be ordered from the custom shop now if you want a new one.

TOKAIPR80QFORSALE005.jpg

TOKAIPR80QFORSALE003.jpg

TOKAIPR80QFORSALE002.jpg

That's what I was asking about! So they do exist (MIJ). Very nice, great looking quilt top! Are the knobs dished out like PRS? Hard to tell from the pics. 24...even better, nice case too. Is that purple or root beer? Year it was made?

Mucho thanks!

Hi Dave, in answer to your questions the colour is called Black Shade, the body is dished for the knobs, this one was made in 2004 and it is a Hiscox case. Heres a few more detailed pics.
Cheers and good luck finding one!
Pete.

TOKAIPR80Q018.jpg

TOKAIPR80Q012.jpg

TOKAIPR80Q007.jpg

TOKAIPR80Q004.jpg

TOKAIPR80Q015.jpg

Back