pickup change advise for supergrade

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesowden

Reaction score
thinking about changing the neck pup in my early 80s supergrade. love the guitar but find the neck position a bit dark and murky at times. just wondering if any forum members have had success with a similar swap-i,m thinking of a humbucker sized p-90 style pup as a possible replacement. any suggestions guys???

Foe a humbucker sized P90 I would definetely recommend the Iron Gear Alchemists, cheap but sound great, got a set in my LS80 and love em!!

How early 80's? Is it a stock Burny pup... braided L8001 or VH1? want to sell it ? :D

sorry 3pup i think i,ll hang on to the neck pup if i swap it. i would want to be able to return the guitar to its original state in the future.
i like the idea of an iron gear alchemist-i had never heard of them before but i have subsequently read some good things about them on the net. for the price of them i probably couldn,t go far wrong! anyone else out there tried them?

Phat Cats are very nice in a Love Rock,I like these a lot and recomend them.

i like the idea of a phat cat. i,ve thought about using them in the past. what do they sound like compared to a p-90?

my 92 les paul has now got 2 Bare Knuckle Crawler pickups in - a vast improvement on the original Gibson ones. So if you are going to swap I dont think you will get much better than these for classic rock sounds (if thats the sound you are after that is!) Check out Harmony Central for Bare Knuckle reviews - pretty much every one is a 10/10 - downside? pricey - but they hold their value very well secondhand and seem bombproof.

thanks for the advice guys-think i,ve settled on trying a phat cat. if anyone has one for sale let me know

davesowden said:
thanks for the advice guys-think i,ve settled on trying a phat cat. if anyone has one for sale let me know

actually, I do as I am not using mine currently. Do you want the set or just one? You can PM me if you like.

Latest posts

Back