What pickups to choose to replace my LS75Q Stock ones???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar_man

Reaction score
Hi there I have a LS75Q and I want to replace the stock pickups.
I want to play in a metal band but am unsure what pickups to choose i have a list of a few and was wodering if anyone has any advice on which is best? I will probably replace my bridge pickup first.

Here's my list:

Seymour Duncan Custom
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
Seymour Duncan Distortion
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (too vintage?)
Seymour Duncan JB

Any other suggestions welcome. I want to play with high game in the band but at home I still want to play some mellow stuff.

I've used a JB in the bridge of a number of guitars (currently in a Gibson SG Standard), I really like the full tone and ease with which it'll overdrive amps. I'm also mightily impressed with the tone of the DiMarzio PAF's. You can get a bit hooked up on one pickup over another, the best way to do it is to hit ebay, buy a few well used pickups from the States as they tend to be a LOT cheaper even with shipping added. You'll find the tone you like eventually, it's a bit like buying a big Line 6 amp and trying all the tones and then settling for a proper JCM900 on top of a 4 x 10 cab. Trial and error, but don't go spending a fortune on new pickups at first, get 'em from ebay and if you don't like them resell 'em on ebay. Also check out old (1970's) DiMarzio Distortion pups, they may look a bit knackered but by God do they deliver the output!

Hope this helps a bit?

Anyway, what's wrong with the stock pickups?

lee

Thanks for the help much appreceiated.

I was thinking about the JB!

I will hit ebay tonight aand have a look Thanks again.

Steve

I only have experience of the SD '59 & JB, as well as the stock Gotoh's and Gibson 490R/498T's.

I'd certainly recommend the JB for the bridge, it does have that certain something about it that sounds really nice, but there again, so do the stock Gotoh's. The 59 in the neck position though, I'm not so sure about, seems a touch bass-y to me. I'd prefer something with a little more mid bias. Again, the stock Gotoh's are pretty darn good to these ears.

The Gibson 490/498 sound too processed to me, in comparison with the SD's and the Gotoh's, maybe it's just me, but to pay goodness knows how much for a guitar loaded with pickup's that sound awful, and then pay again to change them, seems a tad daft.

The Gotoh's do have a tendency to be a little microphonic when shown some gain, and so would really be a bad idea if you were playing OTT distorted metal all the time, whereas the Seymour's should take that in their stride. You could always try and find somewhere that wax pots pickups, and get the Gotoh's dipped, this in turn will reduce the chances of them being microphonic.

Assess what sort of sound you want, then talk it over with a repairer/luthier/friendly sales guy at a shop, tell them what sort of sound you're after, and see what they say (EMG's aren't the ONLY pickups for metal). They go away and make a decision.

Jim Wagner pickups.

www.crcoils.com

The undisputed master of the humbucking pickup. Trust me, without buying PAF's this is as good as it gets.

Ask around on the Les Paul forum. Jim Wagner is to Les Paul's what Jim Rolph is to Tele's

Thanks for that they look like some excellent pickups. I quite fancy a set of the HERC ones they sound pretty good.

Once again thanks and I'll let you know if I go ahead.

Steve

no problem, do post your opinion if you buy them.

I've just ordered this neck pickup for my Tele, by all acounts they are amazing, lead time is four weeks though, can only get them to order.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/custom_shop.html#Anchor-11481

Latest posts

Back