Fender Frontman Reverb

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I need a small amp for one song I'm going to be playing next weekend, so I dug out this little Frontman Reverb I've had knocking around for ages. Has anyone else got one of these?

IMG_0659.jpg

I'm trying to work out which model it is, & I think it might be the earlier version of what is now the 15R, though there's no model number on it.

Bearing in mind how cheap it was, I'm quite impressed with it. The gain is quite fierce, but it makes the amp really loud for what I assume is just a 15 watt tranny amp. Not exactly subtle, but since we're doing a Neil Young song, it doesn't have to be!

Anybody got any views on the amp?

Mike

It's going to be left lying around the place unattended for quite a bit of the weekend - I'm not giving anybody the chance to pinch my Cornell - it wasn't cheap!

Just watch me........ I've played there before with a similar amp (a Peavey), and it did quite a good Neil Young sound, nearly flat out & miked through the PA!

Anyway, could we get back to the topic please?

:evil:

Hi stratman
I have a 15R, I'm quite pleased with it, using only the clear chanel, and just a drop of reverb.
The drive channel is ugly, but I'm going to mod it to replace this chanel electronics with a TS9 one.
I use it just at home, or to add some treble to my tweed deluxe clone when playing with one of of my humbuckers MIJ guitar, from the low level tweed input to the Frontman input.
I intend to replace the speaker with a Celestion one too
But I just bought it ?25 from ebay, the power transformer and the power IC were broken. 20? of parts, and alive again

Thanks dombat. Yeah mine only cost me around ?25 too. Can't be bad for ?25!

I think I have come up with the ideal solution - I have had a 1 x 12 8 ohm extension speaker cabinet lying around for years - I can't even remember why I bought it or what speaker is in it! I tried using the little Fender with the extension speaker yesterday, & it transforms the sound completely - it has real guts now with plenty of bottom end. So that's all I need for the one song I'm doing this weekend - no need to drag a valve amp all the way to darkest Wales.

8)

Well it wasn't really a gig, but it went quite well, despite the minimal rehearsals. The extension cab transformed the amp in terms of tone & volume. We did two numbers (without a drummer :( ), one using the clean channel set on about 4, & the other using the overdrive channel set on 1 with the gain over half way up. It ain't the best amp in the world, but for anyone looking for a budget rig, the 15w Frontline with an extra speaker is well worth considering.

AGM2009_1c.jpg

Back