Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Champion 600 mod... advice needed..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
labbi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Fender Champion 600 mod... advice needed.. Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I have spent the last couple of weeks (in my sparetime) searching www.
trying to get an picture of which modifications is available for my fender
champion 600. I am inexperienced in ampdesign as such, so I am confused about where to start and where to stop..
So I am asking if someone could please help and give me a hint about which direction I should go..
I have looked at the Mercury Magnetics mod, but it?s not available for europe. But in my inexperienced ears changing the powersupply is a good point to start to get a better responding amp. And a larger speaker as well.
I don?t wan?t a screaming amp, but better tone and a more "organic.."
distortion I would very much appreciate.
Thank you in advance..

Best,
Labbi
labbi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go check it out for yourself and stop wasting our time !
labbi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok !
labbi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok !
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWW modded his, not quite sure what he did, but it was quite extensive including adding Powerscaling. He's a regular poster so I'm sure he'll be along with some words of wisdom soon
labbi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for your reply
I have read that thread on powerscaling including the links provided,
but I could also see that he did some other modifications.. lots of small switches.. To be honast I got even more confused.. I have even started contemplating buying books on the subject.. and then I started thinking.. hmm.. if I spend that much time on something like that.. wouldn?t it be more clever in a way to work some more and buy the stuff instead..!?

Hmm.. maybe.

DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The mod's I did on mine are mostly shown here

Jensen Speaker and valves - recommended

http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1916

Various voicing mod's and a pentode triode swith etc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alnicomagnet-Mod-Kit-AA764-Champion-600-Gretsch-G5222_W0QQitemZ360129629498QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item360129629498&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Plus a JohnA home made attenuator followed by the Power Scaling mod which is covered already in a thread on this site.

I'd definitely recommend the first 2 if you want to do them. If you want a bigger speaker I'd suiggest using a seperate Cab. The amp itself is not easy to modify due to space limitations. I did the mod's I did for fun really and agree that you'd be better off buying another amp. The power scaling mod although I did get it to work is not easy and does sound good but also does some strange things.

Dave
labbi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for your reply, it?s very kind of you to share your knowledge on the subject.
It looks exciting, and I also have this "stupid" attraction towards diy- projects bcause it?s fun (when it works)
I will spent some time looking into the different articles and threads you have provided, and if I decide to move on with the project, maybe get back to you fora bit of hands on experience/ knowledge ?
I would like a beefier transformers, maybe from a fender champ, since I understand from reading different articles on the subject that transformers do a lot to the way an amp responds to your playing in terms of dynamics and responce..
Another thing.. I just happened to look at the scematics for a badcat minicat.. it looks almost too simple.. damn.
http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/badcat_minicat.pdf

best,
Labbi
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article that got me going was this one
http://www.300guitars.com/diy/diy-hot-rodding-the-new-fender-champion-600/
I just like to try out new things. Today I've fitted Lindy Fralin Pafs in my LS125SEB. They sound really great but now I'm tempted to try these as well
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200326944231&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching
Or maybe these
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=47_61&products_id=393
Shear madness really considering I only play at home but great fun (when it all works that is).

Dave
labbi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It was that same article that made me aware of the different mods available.
I am looking into fitting a larger output trafo as well. Hammond 125DSE.
I read different things about this trafo, some good some bad..
Anyway I think it will take some time before I am ready to do the mods.
You said the power scaling acted funny.. is that the issues you allready adressed concerning overheating of the mosfet?s ?
cheers
Labbi
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

labbi wrote:

You said the power scaling acted funny.. is that the issues you allready adressed concerning overheating of the mosfet?s ?
cheers
Labbi

Yeh, it does work very effectively but cuts out if you turn both the master volume and power scaling down too low. Part of this is I guess just a delay while the adjustment settles the rest is I guess if you turn it too low it just doesn't work. So the controls do work but behave a little strangely:-?

Dave
t.olsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Gretsch 5222 with the same board layout.In fact it's the same amp.Sounded terrific before.I changed the speaker to a weber signature 6" and found a guy named alnicomagnet in ebay uk dealing with mod kits .I contacted him and got the complete parts and a cd with all important instructions and a lot of useful information,wiring diagrams and so on.Mod kit includes a standby function I missed before and reduction of the bloody hum that started already when turning the volume poti at 9.
Last step was to bring the sound more to a vintage Fender.You can choose between several vintage amps depending what parts you change.I bought 2 better tubes and was very impressed about the result
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: