Is this a good buy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Parker

Reaction score
Just bought this guitar off Ebay and wondered if its a decent purchase or not.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3731959617

2e_3.JPG

Well only you can decide if it was a good buy, it was good bye to $369!! If you're in the UK that's about ?200. I bought a tokai tele of similar vintage many years ago for about the same, I am more than happy, so you should be OK. I have also bought 2 Fender Japan Strats over the years, if you ask me Japan makes better guitars than the USA. When I lived in ENgland it seemed to me that Tokai's are more plentiful in England than the US, some protectionist thing going on over here. The problem buying direct from Japan is the shipping cost.

Hi Russ,

Very cool vintage looks & a good price, from reliable dealer :-? . Looks like a nice early model (7okai & S/N 101xxxx) but my knowledge of Silver Stars is scant....the 70?s styling with big headstock, bullet truss rod & 3-bolt neck is generally less popular, but that?s purely fashion & individual preference. Looks like the usual finish crack at neck pocket, did you ask if that was superficial? I think you probably bought a very nice & very classy looking guitar 8) .

Ian.

Thanks guys, indeed it was good bye nearly ?300!!! as for the 70's styling yeah i really prefer the looks of it as apposed to the more popular pre CBS stylee and having read the guys feedback he seems ok but you always take a risk getting a guitar shipped halfway round the world. as for the finish cracks, the description stated that all blemishes were superficial so fingers crossed i havent bought a lemon!!! :D:D:D:D

Cheers for the replies
Russ

Hey Russ,
I'm a Brit living in Nashville where guitar shops have to be seen to be believed!!! Where do you live? My experience with Tokai and Jap guitars in general has been nothing but good, being 42 I think a Strat should look as your new one does, ie 70's style. I have tried new Les Pauls and would still like to find an old Loves Rock Tokai, if you see one back home.......
Anyway good luck with the new guitar, shipping costs suck!!!!

Hi Russ ? quote ?....fingers crossed...",.....yeah I know the feeling, it?s a nervous wait for the guitar coming half way around the world. But one thing I found ? I live near the main London delivery centre, so it?s tempting for me to collect the guitar before the post van turns up on the doorstep...., but doing that means it's certain they'll hand me the bill for Vat & Duty,....whereas if you?re patient & let them deliver to the door then they don?t always bother with the tax bill :-? .

Ian.

Juliang, Nashville eh!!! i would ask what made you move out there but i guess its pretty obvious. Yeah i dont know what it is about those 70's big headstocks but its definately the way to go in my opinion. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Love Rock for you although i dont seem to ever see old tokais in any shops over here hence buying from ebay. I'm living in Croydon at the mo although soon to be moving to Canterbury and setting up a studio.

Ian, so you have experience of shipping guitars its definatley a nervy wait but i have faith that it will arrive intact and hopefully that tax bill will be forgotten as i've been stung with that before!!!

Hi Russ,
Very nice guitar.

A 1981 SS38 OWR SilverStar, made around March (Piscean, i'd say)possibly on a Thursday, could be near 2:30 in the afternoon.
I love the way the Olympic White gets that creamy colouring after so many years - very Hendrix.

regards
Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi Russ,
Very nice guitar.

A 1981 SS38 OWR SilverStar, made around March (Piscean, i'd say)possibly on a Thursday, could be near 2:30 in the afternoon.
I love the way the Olympic White gets that creamy colouring after so many years - very Hendrix.

regards
Peter Mac

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

:D :D

Latest posts

Back