SHEPTONE Pickups Are IN!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastRedPonyCar

Reaction score
And they're glorious!

Put the sheptone's in the LS150 today. They're the BK signature set. Along with the RS guitar works superpots and 500k tone pots and after doing a capacitor shootout with about a dozen different caps, for the neck pickup, a .015uf NOS Russian military PIO cap sounded the best at various tone/volume knob positions and for the bridge, a NOS Vitamin Q cap (.027 uf) sounded best to my ears. Those and several others found on ebay for dirt cheap.

Oddly enough, I hated the RS guitar works caps that came with the vintage wiring upgrade kit...

I was surprised that the singlecoil.com bumblebee work a like caps sounded as good as they did but they didn't retain as much clarity as the tone knob was rolled back as the old PIO's did.

Hilariously enough I also tested a pair of .022 NOS bumblebee caps that the cork sniffers worship and I liked the vitamin q's better and I got the Q's and the old Russian caps for like $10... as opposed to the $115 bumblebees :eek:

Anyways, as far as the sheptones, they're freaking gorgeous. very well balanced. hotter than the pearlygates/alnico II pro in my parker, they clean up VERY well and have the perfect amount of bite but yet are still so smooth. And the neck pickup retains amazing clarity at high gain but still has this open airy zero compression that the stock tokai neck pickup couldn't match.

And apparently slash is using em in a couple of his LP's as well.

Blah blah blah, here's the vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz61E2b6q5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M-oafm_MJA
________
Colorado medical marijuana

HI!! Very nice sound!! One question: why did you decide by BK signature set instead of AB Custom Set? Was it for some specific reason? I discovered those mics because of you and I agree that they sound very well!! Much better than stock MKII PUs.

Second question. I have the Tokai LS135F model. I have removed the original caps by bumblebees 0.022 uf. When I tested the original ones, the tester showed 0.010 uf. (that surprised me). The LS135F model does not come with orange drop as LS150 does. Have you tested the size of stock orange drop? are them 0.010 uf too?

Thank you very much!!

Best regards,
Rodrigo.

It was a coin toss for me on the AB's vs the BK's. Ultimately the BK's won because I wanted a slightly less hot set of pickups. I wasn't worried about not getting a powerful enough sound because I'm plugged into a splawn.

I didn't test the orange caps that came with the guitar. I just listened to how they all sounded during testing. Whatever value they may have is inconsequential to me. The tone is what I was listening for.
________
VAPIR OXYGEN

FastRed

Your tones are ridiculously good...and your playing skills are excellent.

It seems you've nailed the perfect mic'd amp recording environment in that room of yours, I've heard recordings from million $$$ studios that don't sound nearly as good as yours.

Thanks Diamond. (and for the youtube compliments!) I've been hacking away at this recording stuff for about 4 years now so with as much time as I've put into it, I'm glad to see it finally starting to pay off (unfortunately not pay ME though!) :oops:

Once I get better at mixing my full band recordings with drums and all that I may entertain doing demos for local bands on tight budgets. A few guys I know have already come by to do guitar tracks with my stuff and then taken the wav files across town to the expensive studios and had them dropped into their mixes :lol:
________
Marijuana bubbler

Zach's 2 channel titans start at around $1200 and then he has several options you can add on to the base model. It's an absolute steal of an amp. It's kinda like a mix between a soldano SLO and an uberschall.

His 3 channel model though is $2500 as he said it's a lot more time consuming to build and requires much more parts.

I don't actually own a titan though. I've already put my name on a 3 channel version when I get the $$ though. It's definately my next amp purchase. It can't replace the splawn's tone but it does offer a very good contrasting tone.
________
Piero Ferrari History

Back