John Lennon

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
8) Okay "it was 23 years ago today" what were you doing when you heard the news? How old were you , and what was the effect on your life? 8) TG "so long ago that it feels like yesterday"

TG,

I was 15 and had come down for breakfast just before heading off
to school. It was cold grey and I was just starting on me wheetabix
when the radio news came on.

I'd been into the Beatles from about 5 or 6 onwards, my folks weren't that bothered so I guess it was a radio thing - by the time I was 10 I'd already decided that the later 60's period was my favorite and songs like across the universe, wallrus, my guitar etc were on the played all day list.

By the time I was 15 I had to hide my beatles colours because punk was in full swing and I was listening to old fogeys music, I didn't care much though because music is not fashion.

Politics are for grown ups - I just loved the music.

I am genuinely surprised that all these years later I still love the music, so I guess they didn't do badly for four boys from Liverpool.

GB

:eek: I'm not suprised, the Beatles were the first thing to effect this country as a whole after the Kennedy affair of 63'. Sort of made us collectivly smile! The Beatles and rockn roll in general were my passion, I was 10yrs old in 64'. Had played guitar for 3 years, so I hit the ground running when the Invation started! The night of Lennons murder in 80' I was at a Police concert in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. When the concert let out the news was on the radio and I was Freaked out! Back then I was living in a Hi-rise condo on the beach with the future Mrs. TG, I had already purchased the nessasary items for the holidays {Christmas Coke,Hash and Ganja} so I went home and medicated and watched the television. The next day we bought our Christmas tree, an HO Race car set, a new copy of Beatles 65' and Rubber Soul. I wasn't a fan of the post Beatle music, but it did feel for a lot of the Baby Boomers that a part of who we all were was gone. We gave the world Motown , Muddy Waters etc...But it took the four guys from Liverpool to make us appreciate it! 8) TG

I really didn't want to be reminded of that fcuking pointles **** day event in 1980. :(

Still now that you've mentioned it, I still get goose bumps when I hear him sing "I wanna hold your hand".

Thanks for the memory John (wherever you are).

TK,

I was eight at the time of JL's untimely departure. I remember it being, for me personally, one of the first realisations that death is not only reserved for non-famous people. It also meant that any would be "Beatles Reunions" were finalized, something I remember at that time I had very much hoped for.

Fraser

I was 23, it was a Monday night if memory serves, and I had just come home from Bowling when it came across the TV news that he'd been shot. I went to bed and woke up the next morning to the news that he had died.
"There are places I remember..."
He was my favourite Beatle :cry:

tokaiguy said:
:eek: I'm not suprised, the Beatles were the first thing to effect this country as a whole after the Kennedy affair of 63'. Sort of made us collectivly smile! The Beatles and rockn roll in general were my passion, I was 10yrs old in 64'. Had played guitar for 3 years, so I hit the ground running when the Invation started! The night of Lennons murder in 80' I was at a Police concert in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. When the concert let out the news was on the radio and I was Freaked out! Back then I was living in a Hi-rise condo on the beach with the future Mrs. TG, I had already purchased the nessasary items for the holidays {Christmas Coke,Hash and Ganja} so I went home and medicated and watched the television. The next day we bought our Christmas tree, an HO Race car set, a new copy of Beatles 65' and Rubber Soul. I wasn't a fan of the post Beatle music, but it did feel for a lot of the Baby Boomers that a part of who we all were was gone. We gave the world Motown , Muddy Waters etc...But it took the four guys from Liverpool to make us appreciate it! 8) TG

jumpy said:
tokaiguy said:
simple song for simple poeple!!!!!!!!1

Latest posts

Back