John Sykes Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grrr

Reaction score
I'm after a John Sykes model and there appears to be 4 to choose from, Greco, Burny, Tokai and Edwards all have a version. The edwards one being the only still in production, i think.

My question is, are there many differences between them. I believe the Edwards has plastic Pic guard and Pick-up surrounds. Do they all have plastic Pic guards and Pick-up surrounds or do some have metal ones? What are the differences between the different brands versions?

Is there a clear order to the quality between marques? 1, Tokai - 2, Greco etc

Has anyone owned or played an Edwards one?

Any help would be great.

Andy

Burny currently do an MIC Sykes model:

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/burny_guitar/img/rlc/rlc50js_blk.html

The advantage of the Edwards Customs is that they have ebony fretboards, which look cooler to me.

Following on from the initial question, is ?450 delivered a fair price for an Edwards John Sykes E-LP-92CD/JS ?

Has anyone played this guitar and comment on it?

Many thanks
Andy

Seems like a reasonable deal to me, presuming the guitar is in new or near-new condition. I've seen them fairly regurlarly second-hand on www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box for about 50,000 Yen. Add 15,000 Yen to that for shipping and you are looking at about 425 quid, then you'd have to add import duty and VAT, so you're getting a better deal than that for sure. For a new one to your door from Japan, you're looking at well over 600 quid.

I haven't played a Sykes model, but I own an Edwards Les Paul Standard equivalent to the Sykes model. It is an excellent guitar, as good as the lower-level Tokai Les Pauls that are similarly priced.

Sam

Oh yeah, thought I should add the standard disclaimer that Edwards bodies are made and painted in China, final assembly with hardware and setup is done in Japan. So if you are after a fully MIJ guitar, then steer clear of the Edwards. If you are after an awesome guitar for a good price, then Edwards is the way to go (IMHO).

Thanks for the reply, its kinda difficult as I can't see it before I buy it, I have a Tokai LS65 from 2000 (I think) but I've always liked the black customs. Looking at the ones on ebay it seems a pretty good price. I just don't want to buy something thats equal to or not as good as what I already have.

Andy

The Edwards will be equivalent in quality to your Tokai, I'd be pretty wary of buying a guitar without seeing pics first though.

I've seen pics of it, the guy says its 2 weeks old but as he's bought 5 guitars this month he needs to sell. He also said he has another exactly the same that he's keeping.

Andy

So I went ahead and bought it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300346497925&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It was up for $770 + $30 shipping, I managed to get it for $700 delivered. So a saving of $100. Its the second time he's listed it, the first time he wanted $900 shipped, that line is still in the revised ad after he relisted it at a cheaper price.

Pretty pleased about that. Worked out at ?430

Can't wait to get it now.

Andy

3japs.JPG

One of my main guitars, it's awesome - I've replaced the pickups though, I'm not a fan of Duncan ceramics . . .

Gorgeous guitars you have there Duesentrieb, what pup's did you replace them with?
Mine should be here before the end of the week, can't wait.

Andy

Hi Andy
FYI
I did own a Greco JS-55 from 1984, it had screamin 82 pickups, poly finish, Greco Grover tuners, fret edge binding (which I could never understand why), but jeez, it was a nice rock guitar.
regards,

I had been looking for a JS-65 / 55 for several months but nothing was coming up and the Edwards seems like a good deal.
There has been nothing but good things said about them so I decided to give up on the Greco hunt and get the Edwards.

Ebay will be full of them now I have the Edwards.

Andy

Latest posts

Back