Are ALL ObG's nitro?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gasp100

Reaction score
I've been eyeing up a few ObG's on ebay, but I don't trust that the sellers would know for sure if the finish on a guitar is nitro or light poly. I know that I would have a tough time telling the finish type in many cases.
So, is EVERY ObG nitro?
If so, that would usually explain the price difference between a standard Orville and ObG right? I know that ObG's usually come with USA pickups, but in my case I usually would replace the pups (and guts) anyway so that is not a huge selling point between Orville vs. ObG.
So, nitro or not? Anyone know how to test on a guitar without damaging the finish?

Here is the link you need:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/AcetoneFinishTest/acetonetest.html

All the best!

Ralf

Gasp100 said:
I've been eyeing up a few ObG's on ebay, but I don't trust that the sellers would know for sure if the finish on a guitar is nitro or light poly. I know that I would have a tough time telling the finish type in many cases.
So, is EVERY ObG nitro?
If so, that would usually explain the price difference between a standard Orville and ObG right? I know that ObG's usually come with USA pickups, but in my case I usually would replace the pups (and guts) anyway so that is not a huge selling point between Orville vs. ObG.
So, nitro or not? Anyone know how to test on a guitar without damaging the finish?
Some kind of catalyzer is used in the nitro that's applied to the OBGs. Seems to make it more durable than the nitro cellulose lacquer used on my JVs.

OBGs are excellent guitars. My 'own' experience is that there is a world of difference between regular Orvilles and OBGs but the quality difference between OBG Reissues (fret-edge binding, fatter necks, aged-body binding, solid tops, PAFs) and OBG Standards is minimal although, given the choice, I would always prefer a Reissue because they are more desirable and fewer of them out there.

I love OBGs and have a "ton" of them (click on the 'signature' at the bottom of this post) that I've been collecting for a number of years but I did get an "Orville" (just 'Orville' not OBG) from a guy in Japan several years ago. It was a tobacco-burst LPS that looked like Slash's signature model. Looks-wise and play-ability, it was a very nice guitar but sound and build-wise, materials and hardware it was not even in the same league as an OBG. I knew from the very first time I played the Orville, I was going to sell it--I've never felt that way about any of my OBGs.

Like I said, that Orville was a very nice guitar and if I'd never had an OBG before, I probably would've kept it but there are very valid reasons why the OBGs cost more and they're a bargain at that compared with current U.S. Gibsons and especially ones from the same period.

this obg was not nitro.
It is now, same stuff gibson used in the 50's, waiting for the checking to start :D

obg.jpg

Latest posts

Back