• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

new member looking for a Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepacifist

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm a new guy on these forums and this is my first post. So a big HI to you all !

In my quest for a decent LP, I've been recently introduced to Tokai through my all-day "endeavors" on the internet :)
I am looking to buy a MIJ Tokai, and right now am looking at the LS95F and/or the LS150. I do not wish to purchase a higher end model than this because of budgetary constraints.

I'd prefer to buy it new. So if someone can help me get a new model to US from Japan, hit me on [email protected]
I'd also be interested in used (but not more than 3-4yrs old manufacture) so if someone has it up for sale, my mail id is above. I know the early 80's are the real deal, but I've not yet matured to fully appreciate the vintage stuff. I'm looking more for a player's grade LP which I can use and abuse.

I'll try to be more active in the other forums also. I've still a lot to learn from all you guys. I've read quite a lot on this forum and it's super. I never thought I could find so much information on a brand of guitar which I thought was "obscure" just a couple of weeks back.

Cheers to you guys....
pacifist

Take a look at http://www.kurosawagakki.com/ , they have a huge selection of Tokais and ship internationally from Japan.

Hey youami,
Thanks for that suggestion. I was also looking for references from people who have bought their guitars from Japan. If they can chime in with how easy the process was, what to lookout for, whether they can recommend some particular shop/individual etc, it will be great.

Well, I've bought many times from these guys in the past:

www.ishibashi.co.jp

I don't think they stock Tokais any more, but they are really easy to deal with. They sometimes have second-hand Tokais on their used lisings www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box .

www.guitar-shelter.com are awesome, the quickest service from Japan I've ever had, plus they charged about 30% less for shipping than Ishibashi. They seem to only stock second-hand stuff, no Tokai's in stock at the moment, but a few old Greco's and Burny's.

Marcus just recently dealt with Kurosawagakki, check his post in the main Tokai forum.

You're kind of limited if you want a new Tokai, Kurosawa or www.real-standard.com in Japan, Richtone or http://www.tokaiguitar.de/ in Europe.

Sam

You can now buy direct from Tokai Japan....

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.theguitarshop.jp/index.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=Shift_JIS

Mick

Thanks guys !

I will get in touch with them and see how we proceed. In the meantime, if some people can post in some recommendations or can direct me to a thread which lists validated dealers, it'd be great. I tried searching but could not come up with anything.

cheers!
pacifist

thepacifist said:
Hey youami,
Thanks for that suggestion. I was also looking for references from people who have bought their guitars from Japan. If they can chime in with how easy the process was, what to lookout for, whether they can recommend some particular shop/individual etc, it will be great.

Helps to know where you are located with respect to duties, shipping, etc.

I just bought a new LS150 from Kurosawa and dealt with Miuko. Flawless transaction..... although I did get hit with duties due of $114. Be prepared to wait a few weeks on the LS150..... they sell as quickly as they come in.

marcusnieman said:

I just bought a new LS150 from Kurosawa and dealt with Miuko. Flawless transaction..... although I did get hit with duties due of $114. Be prepared to wait a few weeks on the LS150..... they sell as quickly as they come in.
I'll be getting the guitar shipped to Pittsburgh, US.
How much time did it take for the guitar to ship to you? Are the Japanese shops fixed about their pricing or is it negotiable?

thepacifist said:
marcusnieman said:

I'll be getting the guitar shipped to Pittsburgh, US.
How much time did it take for the guitar to ship to you? Are the Japanese shops fixed about their pricing or is it negotiable?

Forum member togps is a Tokai dealer in Germany. He can also hook you up with an LS150.... send him a PM to discuss.

The Japanese shops will work with you on price to an extent.... high demand models like the LS150 don't have alot of haggle room but on the heels of my recent purchase, they might help out on an additional sale.

Time wise, first I had to wait for mine to be made and arrive at the shop..... approx 6 weeks. Shipping from Japan to Dallas via EMS was like 3 days.

Add your location to your profile - it saves the rest of us from having to ask where you are every time you post.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13896

Mike

8)

stratman323 said:
Add your location to your profile - it saves the rest of us from having to ask where you are every time you post.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13896

Mike

8)
Did that ! Thanks.

@marcus : Will get in touch with them. Thanks for the update.

Hi. I have no experience with TheGuitarShop, I did deal with Tokai directly earlier this year, this was before they initiated this TheGuitarShop. European dealers regrettably weren't able to help me out finding the lefthanded guitar I wanted to buy. The people on this forum provided me with an email address and the rest was smooth sailing, really nice people at Tokai, easy to do business with. There were some minor difficulties with communication due to neither me nor the person I dealt with at TokaiGakki being a native english speaker, nothing serious though. Mind you, I did pay a bundle for shipping and ensurance, money easily saved when dealing with a dealer who is able to make a better deal with Tokai (through his importer or otherwise). I would highly reccomend dealing with Tokai directly, provided you don't find the guitar you want with any official dealer or seller off this board. Good hunting!

JuniorEnthousiast said:
Hi. I have no experience with TheGuitarShop, I did deal with Tokai directly earlier this year, this was before they initiated this TheGuitarShop. European dealers regrettably weren't able to help me out finding the lefthanded guitar I wanted to buy. The people on this forum provided me with an email address and the rest was smooth sailing, really nice people at Tokai, easy to do business with. There were some minor difficulties with communication due to neither me nor the person I dealt with at TokaiGakki being a native english speaker, nothing serious though. Mind you, I did pay a bundle for shipping and ensurance, money easily saved when dealing with a dealer who is able to make a better deal with Tokai (through his importer or otherwise). I would highly reccomend dealing with Tokai directly, provided you don't find the guitar you want with any official dealer or seller off this board. Good hunting!

You will probably find that the person you dealt with at Tokai is the same person that you will deal with at the "guitar shop".. :wink:

Mick

stratman323 said:
India? Cool, I don't recall seeing any other forum members from India.

8)

:)
Tokais are as yet relatively unknown here. TBH, me being an LP owner for more than a year now, had no idea of this particular manufacturer.

thepacifist said:
Tokais are as yet relatively unknown here. TBH, me being an LP owner for more than a year now, had no idea of this particular manufacturer.

Well keep it to yourself! There are already too many people who know our "little secret" - we don't want the whole Indian market to suddenly start buying Tokais & pushing the prices up. That's a lot of people......

:wink:

stratman323 said:
Well keep it to yourself! There are already too many people who know our "little secret" - we don't want the whole Indian market to suddenly start buying Tokais & pushing the prices up. That's a lot of people......

:wink:

I will I will !
Actually we're safe till Ibanez keeps putting out pieces of wood with buckers strapped on !
Not to say that Ibanez are inferior but the concept of "metchul-shred-axe" is so popular here, it's still time when people start moving towards concepts like PAF tones, vintage, historically correct etc. It's a sin here to have "vintage output" pickups on your guitars. Again I speak for the majority. We do have some pretty nice bands. eg. TAAQ - who have an amazing rock/funk/carnatic thing going on......not to mention popular bands like Indian Ocean, Parikrama etc.

leadguitar_323 said:
You will probably find that the person you dealt with at Tokai is the same person that you will deal with at the "guitar shop".. :wink:

Mick

Hej Mick,
At first the emailmessages I received were signed simply; Tokai Gakki.
After a few messages they were signed; Shohei Adachi.
Later they were signed; Misako Furuhashi for Shohei Adachi.
Misako Furuhashi is the person you were referring to I believe?

Latest posts

Back