A little help please. :)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormeh

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm looking for a good Les Paul copy and came across Tokai. I live in the United Kingdom and have only seen models going from the LS60 to LC70. Basicaly, i want something that ressembles a gibson les paul custom. I've also spotted a les paul in white and black, is this a LC70S ?

Any help is greately appreciated. :oops:

Oh yeah, and what are these LC80 models i've been hearing about on here? :eek:

The lc70/80 thing: the numbers are list price in 000's yen. The 80 is a more recent model and has a higher list price, that's all.

If you want a Custom, that's the LC series but I'm not sure if the white one is a 70 or 70S. The S has a maple top and the 70 is made of all mahogany according to my 2000 catalogue.

The LC70 only comes in wine red and is all mahogany. :cry: Are you the same Paladin from the regent guitars forum? you get around abit. :lol:

Stormeh said:
The LC70 only comes in wine red and is all mahogany. :cry: Are you the same Paladin from the regent guitars forum? you get around abit. :lol:

Caught. :lol:

I visit a couple of other well known music boards too :wink:

Paladin2019 said:
Stormeh said:

Caught. :lol:

I visit a couple of other well known music boards too :wink:

What price did you pay for your Tokai and where did you buy it? :) Do you know anywhere in the uk that sells others than what regent guitars do? :wink:

I got mine from GS Universe in Japan - check the links page on the registry. I bought it there because the model I wanted wasn't available outside japan, otherwise I'd have bought domestic; it costs the same as importing when you add up shipping and tax and it's less risky.

RG have the best range I've seen in the UK. Wizard Guitars have a good range and they put the occasional 'vintage' piece on thier site but they tend to be expensive. Gamlins in Cardiff do a few models, in fact they used to have one of the limited edition relics.

You may want to check the UK distributor site for a few more.

Paladin2019 said:
I got mine from GS Universe in Japan - check the links page on the registry. I bought it there because the model I wanted wasn't available outside japan, otherwise I'd have bought domestic; it costs the same as importing when you add up shipping and tax and it's less risky.

RG have the best range I've seen in the UK. Wizard Guitars have a good range and they put the occasional 'vintage' piece on thier site but they tend to be expensive. Gamlins in Cardiff do a few models, in fact they used to have one of the limited edition relics.

You may want to check the UK distributor site for a few more.

Don't you have to pay tax to get it into England? how much does that cost? :cry:

Yup. The tax formula is as follows:

Guitar + case + shipping = X

X * 3.7% duty = Y

Y * 17.5% VAT = Z

Z + final fees (?20 or so) = total.

So you're paying VAT on shipping and the duty tax. It's stupid, but we all know UK customs are evil goits who'd eat their own children if there was a shiny penny in it for them.

www.reidys.com has Tokais at very nice prices indeed, the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

I'm about to go through the VAT + duty stinger sometime this week. I ordered a Reverend guitar from the US. I have heard that it is a bit hit and miss as to whether you get charged duty and VAT, although obviously I am assuming a "hit".

I got mine, an LS85Q (Quilt top), in the UK from Guitar Peddlar, who have an Ebay shop. They only seem to have a Korean model at the moment, but on average their prices are about ?100 cheaper than high street for a Japanese model, and last week they had a Gold Top for about ?580 or so, I think???

less than half of my imports get taxed, i bring in maybe 10 per month. i have found that i rarely get charged the duty even if they sting me for vat.

i have gotten to know the delivery driver from parcelforce and he told me that each morning there are a few parcels at the depot that have been collared but on one particular morning when i got stung there were something like 120 parcels that had been taxed that day.

it does seem to go like that, they couldn't possibly inspect everything fully so they are pretty cool for say a week and then they'll spend a whole night just nailing everything.

God bless em

I'm getting it from www.machinehead.co.uk they're like www.regentguitars.co.uk but smaller and don't seem so busy. I phoned them up asking if i could get a Tokai LC70S in black and they said it would be no problem. Very nice people and you get a nice free setup too! :wink:

Back