Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tops ??? Sycamore vs Maple
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve250SWB wrote:
"Don't be daft, ..............."

But the whole thing is daft. Glue = bad? So what does a nice smooth coat of lacquer equal?

Yup, that's bad too. A tech I know used to work at Patrick Eggle before they went down the drain and he told me about an experiment that PE did. They took 4 guitars and tried different finishes on them - unfinished, nitro, poly and polyester. They sounded best in that order, but unfinished guitars are uncommon for obvious reasons.

So a veneer + glue is going to make that restrictive layer even thicker, and glue probably has worse tone properties than polyester.

The question here is does that extra layer of glue make a difference in tone. My answer was that if it does (it may not, given everythig else that's going on) then the effect of adding the veneer would be bad. Does that sound reasonable?
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth pointing out that the LS60 (plain maple cap) guitars have 3 peice mahogany body whereas the LS70 (veneer types) have a two peice
mahogany body.

So does the extra glue in the mahogany back have as big an effect as the extra glue for the veneer ???

Given that the mahogany is the major contributor to the tone (being much thicker) I would prefer fewer glued peices on the back. I think there is a fair case for arguing that the veneer is no different tonally to say a gold paint finish.

Blimey!

GB
ArthurS
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novosel wrote:
Scott Lentz, the well known and highly respected luthier from California, has refinished early fifties Les Paul Goltops with bookmatched flame maple veneer, converting them to late fifties specs. I'd say if it's OK with him, knowing his reputation, it should be acceptable for us.
That's right. I read someone on the Les Paul Forum who had a similar thing done to (I think) a 1953 Les Paul Goldtop. It was redone to 59 specs and was fitted with a thin flamed veneer. According to both the guy that made it (might have been Lentz) and the guy who owned the guitar, the veneer was completely 'sonically transparent'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
quilt top
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are starting to sound like the LPF..lol.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we're into flame wars over different brands of capacitor yet.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1978 LS 60 Les Paul Reborn has a 2 piece body.
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but I think we'd all agree that a '78 LS60 reborn is a very different beast to an 80's onward love rock LS60 which is what I was talking about.

From somewhere in the eighties the LS60 was specced with 3 peice backs whereas the LS70's have two.

Capacitors!!!!! don't even go there

GB
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old LS60?s typically have 2-piece, or sometimes 1-piece, body, I?ve never seen one with 3-piece . Incidentally, early Fenders sometimes have 6-piece bodies (eg 1950 Broadcaster, 51 No Caster & early 50?s Tele?s) . And of course, later Gibbo?s are shot full of holes .

Ian.
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a MIK LE 2001, which allegedely had a solid two piece Sycamore top. Sounded like a Les Paul. However, it did sound far more restrained and had a bit less bite than my LS 200. But then again the differences between the 2001 and the LS-200 are fairly great so... As was previously stated, Sycamore is part of the Maple family and is in high supply in Asia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: