3 screw truss rod cover on a duke?.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoonbadger

Reaction score
Hi all, saw this on hisahi's a few days ago. It's a black oil bacchus duke, but the truss rod cover has 3 screws!. I thought dukes were MIJ, has something suddenly changed? :).

I don't want to say ALL Dukes have the 3 screw TRC, but I haven't seen one that doesn't. My own Duke has a 3 screw, but it also has "Made in Japan" stamped on it under the clear coat.

Bacchus have stopped making the Vintage Series Clones now but they have the Handmade Series, of which the Duke is part of. FWIW I suspect the Handmade Series is better made than the Vintage series, at least in some cases, the spec is certainly higher in many cases.

The rule about 2 screw = Japan, 3 screw = Korean applies to another brand entirely. Was this what you were thinking of?

JVsearch said:
Bacchus have stopped making the Vintage Series Clones now but they have the Handmade Series, of which the Duke is part of.

It?s a shame Bacchus no longer makes the Vintage Series guitars ????

As good as the post Vintage Series Bacchus examples likely are, I really can't get into the non vintage features they possess.

JVsearch said:
FWIW I suspect the Handmade Series is better made than the Vintage series, at least in some cases, the spec is certainly higher in many cases.

Don?t know why you would suspect that.

I have owned right at 20 Bacchus guitars, and all but four were Vintage Series.
Even the four Universe Series examples demonstrated the typical obsessive Bacchus attention to detail.
IMO, I don?t see why the post Vintage Series examples would be better made.
Only thing I could see being better may be a Brazilian 'board, and that isn't really needed, IMO.
I would be willing to bet that the Vintage Series guitars were just as well made as the post Vintage Series examples.

My BLS-59 goes toe to toe with my 2000 LS-320, any day, and the BLS-59 is one third the price 8)
Of course my LS-320 isn't a Bacchus; it only wishes it could be :lol: .............

I agree with you Rich, every example of the earlier models i have seen are built to the highest standards, that makes it pretty hard to make anything any better, construction wise at least.... You can still order "correct" speced LP's and strats from Bacchus, they just don't put their name on them.

Mick

MIJvintage said:
As good as the post Vintage Series Bacchus examples likely are, I really can't get into the non vintage features they possess.

There's no real difference with the LPs - just the headstock shape and the inlays really. Of course there's no fret edge nibs but those are useless anyway, and once you've felt the fret work on the Dukes you wouldn't care! I have to say it is better than on my vintage series SG.

JVsearch said:
FWIW I suspect the Handmade Series is better made than the Vintage series, at least in some cases, the spec is certainly higher in many cases.

MIJvintage said:
Don?t know why you would suspect that.

I would be willing to bet that the Vintage Series guitars were just as well made as the post Vintage Series examples.

Well the handmade Japanese series is obviously made in the same or similar workshop with the same craftsmen as the Vintage Series so I expect you're right. I was thinking more of the short tenon Vintage series guitars. It's just a suspicion I have really and only based on a small sample which also included a Surf and a couple of Dukes with a BCT-67 and my SG. To be fair, now that I think about it there could have been an unfair advantage to the Handmades - they were all new, or maybe it's just me - they feel better to me... :)

You wouldn't be disappointed in a Duke, I assure you, and there's even a rare Honduran Mahogany version. I, for one, am pretty happy to be able to get Bacchus Dukes that have some differences from the guitars that inspired them, as I really like the oil finish for example (good playability). The other little differences don't bother me as I had the official burst replica from Gibby and those features really don't make the guitar, it's other more fundamental things, and Bacchus have that.

I have no doubt the post Vintage Series guitars are every bit as good as the previous examples that put Bacchus on the map, so to speak.

I'll stick with the Vintage Series ones myself :)

The true Les Paul head stock shape is a big thing to me.
I really don?t desire the non vintage style head stock shape of the post Vintage Series & I also like the two screw TRC of the Vintage Series too.

Same for the Strats; I want a true Strat shape head stock, not what Bacchus offers now.
Two things I have seen on some post Vintage Series Strat types:
(1) a hole on the head stock face for a TR adjustment
(2) a huge metal thingy full of holes at the heel of the neck for a TR adjustment
For me, Both of those items take away from the visual appeal.

I still have the six Vintage Series examples pictured below, and I am fortunate to have such wonderful guitars from Bacchus :D
BLSP9022-1.jpg

BLS-59sideways.jpg

BST-64V002---.jpg

BST-64Vrelicbdfrt.jpg

When it comes to the Fender types, I'm undecided about the looks of the new Handmade series, but they are very good guitars, and there's more than one person who will jump for joy at not having to remove the neck to adjust the rod.

I'm fortunate where I live as truss rods don't need much adjustment, but for people that have to do seasonal adjustments the non-vintage style adjuster is a real plus. My initial feeling is that the new Strats/Teles look a bit shredder like to me, although the STs are pretty much the same as Vintage but with a changed head stock, the body is as normal.

Generally I'm ok with the changes, definitely on the Dukes, and I feel that it says Bacchus are great even if they don't look exactly as we would expect them to. My R8 broke me out of worrying about all those burst details, I will never own a burst!

Your collection looks pretty sweet, and is maybe appreciating now that the series has been discontinued! :D

Did you decide not paint the relic Strat gold? There are a few gold Strats around, but most are pretty expensive.

These are made by Bacchus, right? Just listed on j-guitar this week, correct headstocks and all:

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail/s13630292.html

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail/s13630293.html

Love the red one.

That's a nice collection MIJ, but you really shouldn't spend so much time polishing the knobs on your Strats.

:eek:

Mike

stratman323 said:
That's a nice collection MIJ, but you really shouldn't spend so much time polishing the knobs on your Strats.

:eek:

Mike

Yes, it is a very nice collection; the BLS-59 & the OTM BST-64V are my faves

Never thought of the knob thing Mike, and since you brought it up you must be quite good at it :wink: ................

youami said:
These are made by Bacchus, right? Just listed on j-guitar this week, correct headstocks and all:

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail/s13630292.html

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail/s13630293.html

Love the red one.

Not sure what the real connection Sonix has with Bacchus.
I know they (Sonic Systems) used to have some used Bacchus Vintage Series guitars on their web site.

The ones in the links look nice but no Bacchus head stock decals there; Sonix tho'

When folks around here see my Bacchus guitars, they wonder what the Hell is that on the head stock? :lol: 8) :D

AFAIK Sonix is made by the same people who make Bacchus.

Seems to be pretty small runs for the Japanese market (they're always sold when you find them on the web), and they have a higher range that uses Honduran Mahogany. Strong on the vintage correct specs as well. All in all, very tasty!

Sonix are made by Bacchus/momose/deviser. They are very nice guitars and yes they are ordered by Sonix. Bacchus will still make "correct" guitars for anyone but not with their name on them..

Mick

heyyy kinda new member here ,..ive been lurking for wayyy to long,....

anyhow i LOVE bacchus gtr's i have a few and love every one of them ,....folks on here from mlp forum will recognize my gtr's i think ,...lol,...theres just not much excitment over bacchus gtrs over there,.... though the ones that have them def 'know the deal with bacchus quality '
imho the dukes and vintage series gtr's are on the same level but have just different ways to them ,....like neck profiles ,....

heres a list of my bacchus gtrs ,.....

BACCHUS BFT-58V NA FUTURA EXPLORER
BLC-95 'WINE RED' BACCHUS VINTAGE SERIES CUSTOM
BLC-140 'BLACK' BACCHUS VINTAGE SERIES CUSTOM
2008 BACCHUS DUKE

25hzmrp.jpg

n3nnle.jpg

2qc48b9.jpg

117gxo2.jpg

these are all the pics from theyre original listings ,....one of these days i'll take a group pic ,.....(theyre just all in different locations for the time being)

finally a place where bacchus gtr's have theyre own category
should everyone find out how amazing they are ,...or keep them a secret ?[/img]

MIJvintage said:
nice collection of Bacchus fiddles there bacchusnut :D

that wine red Custom is giving me some serious GAS; love that thing 8) ...........

hey thanks Mijvintage,...
that red wine bacchus is the blc 95,....it has the neck tennon like the tokai reborn's seem to have (not extended into the pup cavity and offset closer to the pup control switch ),....but plays just as well as the black blc 140,.....though the pups on the blc 140 seem to be better.
i put in the rs guitarworks pio vintage kit ,.....it helped out a bit in tone on the blc 95,.... &
i put vintage copper pios (i bought them on ebay) in the blc 140 that i feel sound better,....but not much ,.....ever so slightly.
i did the rs vintage kit on the explorer/futura too,.....
lovem allll.

hey by the way MIJvintage ,...you have an absolute awesome collection there,....cool to see you dig bacchus as much as i do,......i feel lucky to have such gtr's imho

love those bacchus strats!!,...one of these days i'll pick one up,....i just have to ,.....
regards
Leo

Latest posts

Back