Guitar & Bass LS85 2009 Review for your viewing pleasure

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond

Reaction score
copyofp11.jpg

94749439.jpg

96266019.jpg

84322505.jpg

83231429.jpg

96083334.jpg

So it takes a top of the range ?1619 ESP Eclipse to beat out a ?719 bottom of the range Tokai LS85 in the overall Verdict...and even then the LS85 ends up overall with the best LP tones.:)

Kind of strange review they did, why didn't they put a Tokai LS150 up against the ESP Eclipse in the over ?1000 category...I guess they didn't have an LS150 available...it would have been a no contest.

In any event it's a glowing review on the LS85.

Thanks for that, saved me looking for it. The best thing about it is that the Eclipse is basically the same as my Edwards Les Paul, except for the EMG pickups.

:p

Thanks for posting this.

I think the point it proves is that the bottom of the range MIJ LRs are the best value in the range. Sure the higher models are nicer, & if you have the spare cash it's worth getting one, but the base Japanese models are the best "bang for the buck".

And with one of the cheaper ones, you don't need to lie awake at night worrying about whether it has a solid top or a laminate top.

:wink:

Mike

If my recent LC95 is typical of the mij range of guitars it's no wonder it got the "Best LP tones" rating.

It was also the same Guitar & Bass magazine in December 06 that covered Mark Fletchers Vintage collection (Japanguitars.co.uk).

Guitar & Bass magazine seem to be the only UK magazine willing to admit to the existence of Tokai.

According to Guitarist Magazines CD review database it's over 7 years since they reviewed a Tokai - the June 2002 edition has a Love Rock II and a Tsunami(?) listed.

Talk about a well kept secret.

vikingblues said:
It was also the same Guitar & Bass magazine in December 06 that covered Mark Fletchers Vintage collection (Japanguitars.co.uk).

Guitar & Bass magazine seem to be the only UK magazine willing to admit to the existence of Tokai.

It was G & B mag that featured Andrew Munro's article on the vintage Tokai Strats last year as well. They seem like a decent bunch of people, judging by the guys I met at the photo shoot.

stratman323 said:
vikingblues said:

It was G & B mag that featured Andrew Munro's article on the vintage Tokai Strats last year as well. They seem like a decent bunch of people, judging by the guys I met at the photo shoot.

I am a very long time reader of G & B mag and it really is the only one worth bothering with (at least from a UK perspective). I read Guitarist Magazine since the very first issue waaay back in 1984 and I hardly ever bother to even pick it up now - it's just a bloated mess of a magazine and too expensive at ?5.00 or so. I also don't wish to pay for a bundled CD that I don't want. Guitarist Magazine are totally in the pockets of their advertisers and it's simply not in their interests to upset the apple cart by printing that a Tokai LS is a better all-round instrument than a Gibson LP when the majority of their trade advertisers have a wall of Gibsons to sell...

^ i agree, but i'd add that since mick taylor joined as editor, I think they've improved a little. He did a good job at guitar buyer, too (which is also a decent mag).

Latest posts

Back