"Ochanomizu"........ tokyo super guitar street !!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArKay said:
Mr.Mow said:
Big Willie Style said:
If you don't like heat, don't go in the summer. And yes, Taxis are fricking EXPENSIVE!!! But it's quite easy to get where you need to go by subway.

The only thing that disappointed me about Tokya was how early everything closes. Here in Korea, shops are open from 10 am to 10 pm mostly), 7 days/week. But in Tokyo, everything shuts down at 8. And I mean SHUTS DOWN! Since I was only there for a few days, the last thing I wanted to do ws sit in my hotel room.

Jason

^&*( man, don't come to Australia then, everything shuts by 5pm!!

Yeah Taxis are expensive in Tokyo, but the metro system is brilliant once you get the hang of reading the map.

The Meguro district we stayed in is nice, its very hip but laid back, lots of nice cafes, tiny bars, very quiet.. its a 20-300 min walk through back streets to the nearest metro but its nice cos you get to see the real tokyo suburbs and people just going about their daily stuff, theres no way known I'd want to stay in Shibuya, Shinjuku etc.. horrible, unless you really like the touristy nightlife.

Right now is a really nice time to go, its usually 20-25'c most days.. pretty much perfect.

Thanks guys! Yeah, taxis are expensive in Germany as well so I'm used to it, they drive Mercedes here.

Is what I've seen about Japanese train stations true? Do they really have to push people into those trains?

True indeed. But not at all stations. Normally Sobu, Chuo and Yamanote-line are like that. 06:00-08:00 and again from 16:00 to 19:00
Travel whenever people don't commute to work.

Koubayashi said:
ArKay said:
Is what I've seen about Japanese train stations true? Do they really have to push people into those trains?

True indeed. But not at all stations. Normally Sobu, Chuo and Yamanote-line are like that. 06:00-08:00 and again from 16:00 to 19:00
Travel whenever people don't commute to work.

That's OK then, I tend to get up late. :) Thanks for the info!

Hey Mow...

49er_honey_01.jpg

49er_honey_02.jpg

http://arkay.de/guitars/duesenberg/index.html

You got it eh?! Nice man, very very nice..
I'd love to get another duesenberg (if they made the starplayer bass in a 34" scale I'd be all over it), I really dig what they do with their guitars, nods towards certain designers but still do their own thing.

How you liking it?

Mr.Mow said:
You got it eh?! Nice man, very very nice..
I'd love to get another duesenberg (if they made the starplayer bass in a 34" scale I'd be all over it), I really dig what they do with their guitars, nods towards certain designers but still do their own thing.

How you liking it?

I love the pickup configuration, the middle position was a total surprise since it gives you the P90 combined with the inner coil of the bridge humbucker. Fat, but not as muddy as I'm used to from my LP clones... very usable. It's a nice and well made guitar, no doubt it. The neck is perfect for my hands as well, not too skinny, but no baseball bat either.

However, I'm not happy with the weight. It clocks in at nearly 5kg (~11lbs) which I find too heavy. The one they reviewed was 3,6 so I was hoping to get a light guitar. I emailed Duesenberg to ask if they are all like that or if I have gotten a heavy one. If the latter is true I will try to get a replacement.

The body--if I compare the edges--seems thinner than my LP Standard, but it has a fat maple top.

http://www.taniguchi-gakki.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=137_144

@ the left hand gtr special store in ochanomizu.......

8)

Oh, some shopping advice.. As a westerner you may find at times the sales guys don't want to deal with you.. quickest way to get service in a Japanese guitar store.. Pull down a guitar and start playing it!! :wink:

They REALLY hate that.. but, hey presto.. 3 guys suddenly want to help you!

It's risky but a cool idea Mr.Mow! Just don't damage nothing on the gtrs coz you don't wanna end up paying for it!

8)

It's good to know that the Japanese guitar shop guys can be just as rude & ignorant as so many of the guys in London. :eek:

The reason why they aren't too keen on helping westers is that they simply don't speak English (in general) and even if they do a bit, they don't have the confidence to approach a "professional" English speaker.

Same everywhere in Japan!!

Koubayashi said:
The reason why they aren't too keen on helping westers is that they simply don't speak English (in general) and even if they do a bit, they don't have the confidence to approach a "professional" English speaker.

Thats why I try my terrible Japanese on em!! Great way to break the ice.. especially with chix! Couple of times I had shop girls in hysterics with my VERY limited VERY bad japanese.. laugh along with em, its all fun! Oh and drawing out their english is fun too, they get all shy and blush, give em compliments.. end up with free drinks and a great night out!

I found the staff at Ishibashi to be the most friendly..

We did have some bad experiences though (usually from older folk) who just flat out did not want to deal with us (ie refused to let us into their restaurant or just made it clear that we should go to another store)

Having said all that.. I'd move there tomorrow if I could, I've loved every moment I've spent there.

I have a chefs certificate and would love to come to Japan to learn Yakitori.. One day I'd love to open a Yakitori bar here in Australia, but PROPER Yakitori, not the godawful stuff they sell here :evil:

Koubayashi said:

8) this is so true and you just have to understand it for them......

Mr.Mow said:
Koubayashi said:

Thats why I try my terrible Japanese on em!! Great way to break the ice.. especially with chix! Couple of times I had shop girls in hysterics with my VERY limited VERY bad japanese.. laugh along with em, its all fun! Oh and drawing out their english is fun too, they get all shy and blush, give em compliments.. end up with free drinks and a great night out!

We did have some bad experiences though (usually from older folk) who just flat out did not want to deal with us (ie refused to let us into their restaurant or just made it clear that we should go to another store)

Having said all that.. I'd move there tomorrow if I could, I've loved every moment I've spent there.

I have a chefs certificate and would love to come to Japan to learn Yakitori.. One day I'd love to open a Yakitori bar here in Australia, but PROPER Yakitori, not the godawful stuff they sell here :evil:

Chances that you get a chefs job in Japan are pretty low (if you mean a Japanese style resturant) because you are a "gaijin" and because your Japanese isn't fluent.

To get a working permit you need a Bachelor degree or higher.

Koubayashi said:

Wow, that must be one of the most restrictive immigration policies in the world. :eek:

There was a show on Palladiem about Weezer playing in Japan and they filmed them going thru one of the Ishibashi stores. Very cool to see.

stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:

Wow, that must be one of the most restrictive immigration policies in the world. :eek:

Rather normal outside Europe actually.
I live in a country which is one of the most generous immigran countries and the result makes me appreciate the system Japan has.
Of course, the Japanese way has its negative aspect as well but still better than Sweden.

Koubayashi said:
Mr.Mow said:
Koubayashi said:

Chances that you get a chefs job in Japan are pretty low (if you mean a Japanese style resturant) because you are a "gaijin" and because your Japanese isn't fluent.

Oh I don't even want a paid job, just a chance to STUDY! even for a couple of weeks!

Latest posts

Back