Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just bought a real Gibson Les Paul Standard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a point, but we are also entertainers who play music for people to enjoy. The people that come to gigs only know two names and they love to see a 'real' strat or LP reproducing the songs they love.

I have both Tokai and Gibson - the Tokai is much sweeter and is used for everything but for the people that come up at the end of the gig it's the Gibson that gets the admiration, they love the music and they like to let you know that they know their intruments.

So you nod and agree - that's the heritage thing.......

Gibson deserve their rep because they gave the musicians the tool to write those great songs and solos

GB
Joe
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarboy wrote:
To a point, but we are also entertainers who play music for people to enjoy. The people that come to gigs only know two names and they love to see a 'real' strat or LP reproducing the songs they love.

I have both Tokai and Gibson - the Tokai is much sweeter and is used for everything but for the people that come up at the end of the gig it's the Gibson that gets the admiration, they love the music and they like to let you know that they know their intruments.

Hi guitarboy,

sorry, but I do not believe this completely. First: yes, we are entertainers, but i believe that the normal guest (or the girl in the first row *g*) at a gig does not know if it's a Gibson, a Tokai, a Epiphone, Burny, Greco or whatever. Perhaps they know that one guitar is a Les Paul, "that thing which Slash plays" or a Strat, which is played by Clapton.

Other are those guys who stand still, are not moving an inch, standing there with folded arms and long faces just criticising the musicians, but often or mostly they are musicians for themselves. We have a term in german, they are called: "Musikerpolizei" I do not know if there is an english expression for it, translated it would be: "musician police".

I'm not playing for the Musikerpolizei anymore, I play for the normal visitors. the Musikerpolizei is always better and would do this and that, rather play a hyperpentaphrygiandiminishedlocrian scale at that bridge . And how could anybody use THIS Amp? Everybody should know that a triplemegablablabla would do better and so on.

I don't care anymore.

On stage I try to entertain the people, and want to do this with a smile on my face. The logo on the headstock is second to me and I believe it's second to 99% in the audience.

Remember Billy Gibbons and his Tokai, with the Questionmark on the headstock, where normally the Tokailogo would be? Only musicians notice that.

Have mercy

Joe
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the guys with the long faces and the folded arms...How many lead guitarist's doe's it take to change a light bulb? 6, one to change it and 5 to stand around saying "I can do that" How can you tell if a banjo has a great tone? That depends on how far you can throw it and what end hits the ground!
Joe
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotfl

What do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft?

A flat Minor

Have mercy

Joe
lasher
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, i sold my fancy gibson r8, bought 2 ls80's,,,i prefer the ls80's. they sound better, and play better, both are 1980 guitars. that said, i just recently bought a cs336, it also kicks the r8's ass.
guitar_man
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Paladin2019 about this "real thing" stigma attached to Gibson.

Just because Gibson made the first Les Pauls doesn't mean they are the best Les Pauls!

The Japanese have a undisputed reputation for "copying" and perfecting on original designs.

JUST BECAUSE YOU MADE IT FIRST DOESN'T MEAN YOU MADE IT RIGHT.
Novosel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I can't wait till I can "officially" get in on this arguement. I used to own a '59 burst way back in the seventies - great guitar, but my '84 Love Rock LS60 has a nicer neck, is lighter, and I seem to get the sounds I want from it. Now, that being said, I have currently got the hots real bad for a Gibson R9. When I find the one I want, I'll let you know if the $4000 credit card bill was worth it.
firebird65
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that my '75 Gold top Deluxe is the most wonderful guitar in the world, it's everything that Gibson should be. I love my Tokai strat and tele but I've never thought that Fenders had 'personality' in the way that Gibsons had.
So I think that Tokai copies of Fenders are great but I've not played a Tokai copy of a Gibson that did anything for me.
I had wanted a Gibson since I was 12 in the early '70s and a real gibson still makes me tingle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: