Bacchus Vintage series BTE-67 BG

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratman323 said:
JVsearch said:
.....main reason it's good is because it makes the string break angle shallower (like a top loading Tele bridge does also) and you will get a more musical tone in my opinion.

That is a very contentious statement! Top loading Tele bridges are generally the preserve of cheapo Teles. Fender gave them up after less than a year.

I don't actually know why Fender gave up on them, maybe it was for some other reason (don't want two different lines of construction for one model) rather than that they sounded no good or were cheap. They did away with the single pickup Esquire as well - too costly to make two different pick guards! Ha ha :D

People just don't like them because they look a bit like they could be pulled off, whereas the string through body method looks rock solid. To be fair a top loader probably should not be used on softer woods, so maybe that was the problem, longevity fears meant you had to use the harder timber.

Top loaders are making a bit of a comeback here and there, and a top loader was good enough for Jimmy Page before he became immortalised as a LP player. He even used his top loader Tele to record the solo to Stairway, and nobody would say that was a bad tone? Yeah, I know, unfair - Pagey would have sounded good on whatever it was.

When it comes down to it, I just can't stand bright no sustain chickin pickin Tele sounds, and the top loader seems to allow notes to bloom a bit more. I put it down to the string break angle, but I could be wrong.

Well you may be right, I guess I don't know because all the good or very good Teles I've ever played have been string through body, the only toploaders were cheap ones. I can't think of any toploaded Teles that I like the look of.

But whatever you think of Bigsbys, they must alter the tone of a Tele quite significantly?

This guy seems to like 'em

http://www.xs4all.nl/~msengers/htm/home.htm

Check out his links and old tele sketches etc

Dave

IMG_0204.jpg

Arrived today :p

Dave

Plays great, sounds just like it should. :D Lot's of tele twang. Gonna have to learn some country licks. :lol:

Nice feel to the neck and still nice and light even with the bigsby.

These yuta pickups are nice :D

More pic's later for those interested.

Dave

DaveWW said:
Plays great, sounds just like it should. :D Lot's of tele twang. Gonna have to learn some country licks. :lol:

Nice feel to the neck and still nice and light even with the bigsby.

These yuta pickups are nice :D

More pic's later for those interested.

Dave

very wonderful looking guitar; I imagine it is a real joy to play :)

More pics? YES 8)

MIJvintage said:
More pics? YES 8)

Allrighty then :D

Yep, it plays great. Just needed a little bit of neck relief to get the action right.

Changing strings is a bit of a swine though. I should have checked first - Bigsby say to use a wedge shaped piece of foam to stop the strings slipping off. I used to be a toolmaker so I should have thought of that! :lol:

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

I'll contact Deviser to see if they can give me any more info on the guitar but I doubt if I'll be able to find more than Hisashi had on his ebay listing.

Dave :D

Now that is a tele I could fall in love with!!! :oops:

Congrats Dave

:D :D :D

Nah, I'll stick with the one guitar & one photo rule - anything else should mean disqualification :wink: Oy - ref :lol:

Dave

Latest posts

Back