Newbie needs help ID'ing a neck

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lusn

Reaction score
I just picked up a Tokai strat type neck, that I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

It is rosewood fretboard, 7 1/4 radius, headstock is Tokai shape, not exact Fender, heel marking is 8-9. Headstock says Tokai Goldstar Sound, The Quality Musical Instruments of the World, & oldies but goodies (on the end).

Very nice neck, small vintage sized frets, excellent quality.

If anyone can tell me the age and or anything else, such as where this neck ranks in the quality chain of Tokai,, I would appreciate it.

I am almost certain the body is not Tokai- it has simply 1300 imprinted into the wood in the neck pocket, no othe markings.

Hi,
I think with the 8-9 marking and the "post lawsuit" head stock shape, it would make it around the 1985-86 era. The type of tuners also helps to identify it, if they are plain chrome tuners with non-split posts it is probably a ST-40 model (the entry level), if it has Kluson replicas marked "Deluxe" it is an ST-50 or higher. If the body is Tokai, it should also have the same code in the pick up or electrics cavity plus the colour code, something like 8-9=BB V (BB is code for Black for instance)
Take a look at the Tokai registry pages to see pics of the headstock and compare with yours.
Regards
Nik

Back