Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1980's Tokai 'U' stamped pickups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdemw
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: 1980's Tokai 'U' stamped pickups Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here, I foudn this website as it appears to be thte only knowledgable place on the internet concerning Tokai. I recently purchased a TFL-1 Flanger, which is excellent, but I'm now looking at some p/u's for a guitar project. What kind of soudn quality will I be getting out of these pickups?
They're described as "an early 80's Tokai "U" series vintage style Strat pickup".

Cheers,
cdemw
Nik Lloyd
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The "U" marked single coil pick up is a very good pick up, it was fitted to most of the mid-range ST's in the '80s. Tokai used about 4 different types of single coils, a cheaper bar magnet based one on the cheapest ST-40 Strats (much underated), and then "U", "V1" & "E", all staggered pole alnico pick ups. I think the "E" were the high end Dimarzio units which I have personally never tried. The "V1" pick ups are superb, that real Stratty Sound, but they do feed back quite a bit at high gain settings. The "U" however slightly lack the clarity of the "V1" pick up but dont feedback, I have found them pretty similar in sound to Texas Specials.
If any of the other guys could clarify the makers of the various pick ups it would be very useful, e.g: were the "E" pick ups Dimarzio ?
Good Luck if you buy those pups, you will not be dissapointed.
Nik
cdemw
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot

I may well go for them then....
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a TFL-1 as well. Fantastic little pedals. I'm not really an FX person, otherwise I'd probably own a few of tokai's others, but that flanger rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: