New (to me) Seymour Duncan DS-100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soundcreation said:
Hey no problem...I always love and excuse to show them off!..lol..

The strat

SDstrat.jpg

Hey, what is the neck profile on your DS-250? V shaped?

Hey JV...

I'm not really good with these things but yeah I'm pretty sure it's a hard v style. Doesn't feel quite as rounded as my aria pro II strat. It's really nice. Not too big, not too small. Really the whole **** guitar is just about the nicest guitar I've ever played.

youami said:
Wow, cool tele:

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00676688

Now, that is a PRO mod! The routing they've done there is unbelievable for an after market job.

villager said:
i just got a DS-200, they are very nice strats, the neck profile is a slightly fatter C than the fender standard neck.. and the wood is really nice..

Cool, thanks.

This adds a little more weight to the possibility that the burnt one on Yahoo is a DS-250 because it has a V neck and a nice looking ash body. Although I don't know if the ash looks any better than what you see on some DS-100s... but maybe it's lighter/more resonant or hand selected, I don't know.

I did ask some questions of the seller but got no answers, and given what little I know about the Japanese way (they prefer to say nothing) then I will have to assume the worst about the guitar. It has been listed again so I'll retry some communications.

beg my pardon I just went and compared it directly to a fender JV and a tokai st-80 its more like the tokai than the fender actually, its starts off as a fuller rounded C then tapers to a tokai-ish V at the nut..

so its more of a V than a C but heh a bit of both..

also mine doesn't have the word traditional on the headstock, just a little seymour duncan logo, just like that burnt one...

I haven't disassembled it yet to look for any markings or to see what PU are in her.. will do soon and report..

the yahoo burnt one looks nice, apart from the burn... but its very similar graining to my 200 so i would think its a 200 also..

JVsearch said:
villager said:
i just got a DS-200, they are very nice strats, the neck profile is a slightly fatter C than the fender standard neck.. and the wood is really nice..

Cool, thanks.

This adds a little more weight to the possibility that the burnt one on Yahoo is a DS-250 because it has a V neck and a nice looking ash body. Although I don't know if the ash looks any better than what you see on some DS-100s... but maybe it's lighter/more resonant or hand selected, I don't know.

I did ask some questions of the seller but got no answers, and given what little I know about the Japanese way (they prefer to say nothing) then I will have to assume the worst about the guitar. It has been listed again so I'll retry some communications.

Yeah but what's the worst? It's a 200 and you're still getting a great deal. I'm not positive for the older models (except the 250) but if you check out the catalog link that youami posted in his first post, only the 280 pro's came with the Alico "beefed up" pick ups that seem to be made specially for the pro model. The 200 came with APS-1n, and APS-1b. I didn't look but I'll assume these are regular SD pickups that you could obtain easily if you wanted to restore it to original 200 status.

Now we can probably assume that it worked the same for the 250 pro and the 185. 250 pro has beefed up and in all likely hood the 185's had regular seymour duncans.

So from my perspective either way it's a sweet deal. If it's a 200 then you can make it stock easy and if it's a 250 then it sucks you don't have the original pickups (they are amazing), but hell, you have a 250!

Or you could always wait like I did with my Greco EG 1000 and see if they drop the price even more!

Ahh the fun of buying japanese guitars...

youami said:
OMG, I just found this on Digimart...

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00669602

What a kick-*** looking Strat! Very reasonable price too (though out of my league . :cry: ).

That is very cool 8) a gold Strat with a round laminated rose' board; just what I want :)

I just picked up this very early (serial # 0017**) Bacchus BST-64V (relic) in white, and I'm gonna refinish it in a (nitro) gold metalic :D
Always wanted a BST-64V in gold metalic, and with a serial # under 003000; even tho' the color won't be original, who cares :lol:
White is the perfect base coat color for a refin too 8)
BSTrelic1.jpg

BSTrelic5.jpg

villager said:
beg my pardon I just went and compared it directly to a fender JV and a tokai st-80 its more like the tokai than the fender actually, its starts off as a fuller rounded C then tapers to a tokai-ish V at the nut..

so its more of a V than a C but heh a bit of both...

the yahoo burnt one looks nice, apart from the burn... but its very similar graining to my 200 so i would think its a 200 also..

Looking at the pics again of the burnt one I would say you have described the profile I see there - pretty rounded near the body and going to a V at the nut. Of course my eyes may be deceiving me, but I agree that it is a DS-200.

soundcreation said:
Yeah but what's the worst? It's a 200 and you're still getting a great deal...

Yep, totally right, and I'd be very happy if it was a DS-200 (pretty sure it is) but I was worried that it was a DS-110M with a replaced logo or something. I mean I couldn't be sure from the pics and there was nothing from the seller.

Also, to be fair Fender Tex Specials are ok, and probably more to my liking because I prefer hotter output pickups in a Strat. If I really wanted to later on, a few emails to Seymour might help me to get close to the original pickups, or I could just go for some Fralin overwounds or something.

MIJvintage said:
I just picked up this very early (serial # 0017**) Bacchus BST-64V (relic) in white, and I'm gonna refinish it in a (nitro) gold metalic :D
Always wanted a BST-64V in gold metalic, and with a serial # under 003000; even tho' the color won't be original, who cares :lol:
BSTrelic1.jpg

Did you recently get that off Yahoo Japan? If so, you outbid me!
Really nice looking Strat, does it sound good/play well? It's ok to rub it in!

JVsearch said:
MIJvintage said:
BSTrelic1.jpg

Did you recently get that off Yahoo Japan? If so, you outbid me!
Really nice looking Strat, does it sound good/play well? It's ok to rub it in!

I bought it on eBay from eBay member mijguitar aka John C.
Maybe he bought it from Yahoo Japan; don't know.

I haven't received it yet; should be here in a week or so :)

This will be my third BST-64V with a serial # under 003000.
I have two others with serial #s 0022** in VWH & 0025** in OTM 8)
BST-64V002---.jpg

Here's one in BGM (the gold one I wanted) but a nitro gold refin on the white BST-64V relic will have to do :D
BST-64VBGM.jpg

Hey Villager, pics of your Duncan when you get a chance please! Be cool to hear how you think it compares to the older MIJ guitars, jvs, tokais etc too.

Cheers.

JVsearch said:
villager said:

so its more of a V than a C but heh a bit of both...

Looking at the pics again of the burnt one I would say you have described the profile I see there - pretty rounded near the body and going to a V at the nut. Of course my eyes may be deceiving me, but I agree that it is a DS-200.

Okay so I pulled out my 250 and had a look at the back of the two necks. I have to say it's tough to tell. The only thing that seemed a little different was mine seemed slightly more rounded near the headstock...but looking again the kind of "ridge" I think I see is probably just the light reflecting. Seriously I don't know. That could be my neck.

And honestly I suppose people could be faking traditionals for higher end models but I don't see it happening. I hardly believe most of the stories of faked grecos let alone SD's. I think us westerners can get pretty paranoid about these things.

And looking at the way the burn has revealed the depth of the finish it really looks like the way mine has a couple of minor scratches. Very thin finish. Some how I think a traditional with poly would look different. Just speculation though.

Really the only way to know for sure is to get that neck off and check out the neck pocket, and pencil marks on the neck.

See if you can get Rinkya to offer the guy 55000 or something. I know they don't like to do that but I'd bet if you sent them an email saying it's been up there for like 3 or 4 cycles and can you forward the guy an offer they might go for it. In the end Rinkya's interested in commissions no matter how they get them. Christ even a traditional for 55000 is a respectable deal.

Yes full on nitro. Check out the catalog link on page one first post. The only difference between the description of the 200 and the 280 pro is the pro says "unsealed All lacquer" and the 200 says "All lacquer".

The pickups in the 200 are listed as APS-1n, APS-1b. But they don't have a listing for an Ash 200...only alder.

Dates will be in the neck pocket and but of the neck. Ink stamped or penciled in. Should also have the model number. The older series were 185 which became 200 and like mine 250 which became 280. It's my understanding nothing really changed except the price.

That's a gorgeous one by the way. The attention to detail on these things is just sick. Yours probably has like mine the little maple (or whatever they are) covers covering each fret end? It's just crazy. Enjoy it!

soundcreation said:
That's a gorgeous one by the way. The attention to detail on these things is just sick. Yours probably has like mine the little maple (or whatever they are) covers covering each fret end? It's just crazy. Enjoy it!

yes I have those..thats spectacular work!!

took her apart, no model number.. but somemarkings are there...

DSCF6542.jpg

DSCF6543.jpg

DSCF6548.jpg

DSCF6546.jpg

DSCF6545.jpg

DSCF6544.jpg

Latest posts

Back