Almost Tokai.com update

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the DLX-2004s I've seen until this one (and I own one like the one in the links at
http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-models.html#dlx)
have been bursts.

Also, the tokairegistry.com link above seems to state that the DLX-2004 is not a Fakai, as opposed to the "5 digit wonders" brought into Canada.

Actually there is a bit of misinformation in the registry section of this forum, there are even links to shops in Canada selling fakes. I sent a picture of one of those guitars to Tokai and they said it "wasn't one of there's". Now i am not too sure if i got the whole story on those guitars because they only made references to the truss rod cover but they also said that they made no Mahogany guitars in Korea. All Korean Tokai LP's in that era were made of
Alder and the very cheap ones were plywood.
How are you Geo, long time no hear..... :wink:

Mick

Mick, things are well. Guitar count up to 19. I pickup up the DLX-2004 off fleabay about a year ago for USD 400 in part because of the squib on registry.com (it's not a Fakai, I thought), and in part because it was a STUNNING guitar. I was relieved to find that it had a great neck ... but terrible pickups. I swapped out the pups several times and was ended up with StewMac Golden Age overwounds. Great sustain, weaker bite compared to Burstbuckers or Classic '57s (but I've got that covered w/ other axes), and simply wonderful tone from combined pups, it's my fav solid body jazz axe now. Also picked up a mint Tokai "Jazz Sound" bass for USD 400. Both had OHSC.

Looking in the control cavity on the DLX, the wood certainly looks like 'hog. I'll try to get some pix.

When are you going to visit Hawaii?

When are you going to visit Hawaii?

I wish..!! No plans in the near future although i have another New Zealand trip in the works. Good to hear you are well. My collection has stalled at 9 guitars for the time being, our dollar still isn't strong enough to justify buying any more at the moment.

Mick

Just thought i'd say that Tokai DLX has a resembelance to a Schecter with that binding. The whole Wayne's World, "we're not worthy" comes into my head everytime I visit this forum, so many wise people :D

Latest posts

Back