54' Springy Sound with weird original tuners...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigil

Reaction score
Hi there, I found this beautiful Tokai Springy Sound Strat on a Norwegian internet site. It is suppose to be very resonant because of the light wood, and has a medium size C-shaped neck. It is suppose to be all original except for the pickups. The only thing bringing out my scepticism is the tuners. They look cheap, are more square in the peg head, and don't look like the old Klusons on my own Tokai 62' strat. Have a look at the picture. Can any of you people tell me from these pictures exactly what year this guitar was made, and what the label used to say? (ST-50, ST-55, ST-60, ST-70, ST-80, and so on...) :wink:

Should I give it a chance, or should I let it pass?
The owner is asking for $735 with original pickups, and $880 with the Fender Custom Shop 54' pickups he has installed.

Pictures can be found here:
http://www.nygaardsmoen.net/salg.htm[/url]

Hi Eigil,
I cant access your pics, is your url correct ?
Some early Springy's did have non-Kluson Type Tuners as did later ST-40 Goldstars. But we definately to see the pics to judge it.
Regards
Nik

Hi Eigil,

It?s an ST42 (see the stamped mark in the end of the Fretboard ? pup end). I think the tuners are original, because I believe the ST42 model did have these Fender F-style tuners. However, the ST42 is bottom of the range and I don?t think it's worth $735. I wouldn?t pay more than $550 - you can get easily a Springy ST50 on eBay for $600. Either way, I would definitely keep the original Tokai pups :-? .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back