Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New (to me) Seymour Duncan DS-100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Strats!

Looks like the SD guitars will be going back into production, but with a modified headstock shape:
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/seymourduncan/
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys got any ideas on what model this one is:
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h131397542

The multi ply pick guard is bothering me, but he says the pickups were changed to Fender Texas Specials, so maybe the whole pick guard assembly was changed.

The DS-200 (and Youami's DS-185, which is a DS-200 anyway) and above seems to only have a single ply white guard on the ash/maple Strats.

Cheers!
btmish
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a nice one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-vintage-Seymour-Duncan-Strat_W0QQitemZ180378379446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item29ff63a4b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A6|294%3A50
youami
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVsearch wrote:

Looks like a DS-200 with a changed pickguard to me. Looks sweet, good price too (owing to the large burn in the finish I guess). The only problem I can see is re-sale value if you didn't like it, unless you market it as a fire sale relic or something.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btmish wrote:
Here is a nice one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-vintage-Seymour-Duncan-Strat_W0QQitemZ180378379446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item29ff63a4b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A6|294%3A50

Yep, that is nice, but no shipping outside USA, but that's ok because I would prefer the full vintage spec. It looks like a mixture of two models: DS-280 Pro with a Custom Pro pickguard, electronics and tuners. That raises a question - was a DS-280 body routed out to take the humbucker? Or is it a custom order/some sort of "inbetweenie" (*)?

Thanks for posting it up though!

* This term was pinched from an Ian Dury song.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youami wrote:
JVsearch wrote:

Looks like a DS-200 with a changed pickguard to me. Looks sweet, good price too (owing to the large burn in the finish I guess). The only problem I can see is re-sale value if you didn't like it, unless you market it as a fire sale relic or something.

I might go for it, shame about the pickups - I'd prefer to live with the standard SD set-up for a few months and then change stuff later if I wanted to.
soundcreation
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was eyeballing that one two. I agree that it could be just a complete pick guard and pickup swap.

Usually that kind of quality ash appears on the pro models. I'm not saying that's what it is..but it wouldn't surprise me if it's like mine...a 250 or even a 280. In which case that is just a sick deal. The only bummer would be the pickup thing. If it is the high model I'm pretty sure the "beefed up" SD's were unique to the pro models and not available else where.

And the funny thing is the MORE I see that burn mark the more I REALLY like it! LOL....like a cool battle scar.

Hell even for a 200 with swapped pickups I'd say that is still worth the money.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundcreation wrote:
I was eyeballing that one two. I agree that it could be just a complete pick guard and pickup swap.

Usually that kind of quality ash appears on the pro models. I'm not saying that's what it is..but it wouldn't surprise me if it's like mine...a 250 or even a 280. In which case that is just a sick deal. The only bummer would be the pickup thing. If it is the high model I'm pretty sure the "beefed up" SD's were unique to the pro models and not available else where.

And the funny thing is the MORE I see that burn mark the more I REALLY like it! LOL....like a cool battle scar.

Yeah, I don't mind the burns (one on head stock as well). I forgot to bid, but luckily it's back up.

Did you have a look at the one in that ebay link? I contacted the guy and he was ok with shipping it to me. So thanks again to btmish for finding it, I'm thinking seriously about it. Wouldn't be too hard to go back to vintage style pickguard and pickup arrangement later on if I wanted to.
youami
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVsearch wrote:
youami wrote:
JVsearch wrote:

I might go for it, shame about the pickups - I'd prefer to live with the standard SD set-up for a few months and then change stuff later if I wanted to.

I only just had a look at the Google translation...who the hell swaps out Duncan Alnico IIs (or Antiquities if it is DS-250) for Texas Specials?!??

I also noticed a sentence in the translation simply saying "warpage of neck". I wouldn't get this one without getting someone here to do a proper translation first.
soundcreation
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVsearch wrote:
soundcreation wrote:

Yeah, I don't mind the burns (one on head stock as well). I forgot to bid, but luckily it's back up.

Did you have a look at the one in that ebay link? I contacted the guy and he was ok with shipping it to me. So thanks again to btmish for finding it, I'm thinking seriously about it. Wouldn't be too hard to go back to vintage style pickguard and pickup arrangement later on if I wanted to.

Yeah the ebay one is nice too. And that also seems like a very good price for a 200. The humbucker is a bit strange though. I'd maybe ask to see a shot of the insides to see if the routing job was decent. I suppose it could have been a factory model with a humbucker but it would be the first I've seen. I don't think the tuners are stock inspite of what he says and coil tap? I think it's been heavily modded and that's probably a reason for the cheaper price.

Personally I would prefer the burnt one. Closer to stock and I just have this feeling it's a higher model than a 200. It really reminds me of my 250..with the paint job and thickness of the finish. But yeah questions might be in order for the seller as youami said. The neck condition,.. Where are the original pickups etc. Thing is, though,....if it's a 250 and he doesn't know it then it might be better to just keep quiet. And again....even if it's a 200...it's still a sweet looking 200. The black pick guard looks wicked.

There are just a lot of questions with these guitars and sometimes it is a bit of a gamble.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundcreation wrote:
Hey no problem...I always love and excuse to show them off!..lol..

The strat

Hey, what is the neck profile on your DS-250? V shaped?
soundcreation
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JV...

I'm not really good with these things but yeah I'm pretty sure it's a hard v style. Doesn't feel quite as rounded as my aria pro II strat. It's really nice. Not too big, not too small. Really the whole damn guitar is just about the nicest guitar I've ever played.
youami
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool tele:

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00676688
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got a DS-200, they are very nice strats, the neck profile is a slightly fatter C than the fender standard neck.. and the wood is really nice..
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youami wrote:
Wow, cool tele:

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00676688

Now, that is a PRO mod! The routing they've done there is unbelievable for an after market job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: