ROBERT JOHNSON....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOKAI JOE

Reaction score
8) "ROBERT JOHNSON"......the best of the blues you must know someday....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson_(musician)

61rfoDigYzL_SS500_.jpg

@ The Complete Recordings: A double-disc box set, released on August 28, 1990,
61VtKKn0eZL_SS500_.jpg

@ the 1961 album King of the Delta Blues Singers. At the recording session, held on November 23, 1936 in rooms at the Gunter Hotel in San Antonio.
61x-N-LsGML_SS500_.jpg

@ In 1937, Johnson traveled to Dallas, Texas, for another recording session in a makeshift studio at the Brunswick Record Building, 508 Park Avenue.
RobertJohnson.jpg

@ one of only two known published photographs
RobertJohson.jpg

@ Robert Johnson's studio portrait, circa 1935?one of only two known published photographs

"Cross Road Blues"

I went to the crossroads, fell down on my knees
I went to the crossroads, fell down on my knees
Asked the Lord above, have mercy now, save poor Bob if you please

Standin` at the crossroads, tried to flag a ride
Whee-hee, I tried to flag a ride
Didn`t nobody seem to know me, everybody pass me by

Standin` at the crossroads, risin` sun goin` down
Standin` at the crossroads baby, the risin` sun goin` down
I believe to my soul now, po` Bob is sinkin` down

You can run, you can run, tell my friend Willie Brown
You can run, you can run, tell my friend Willie Brown
That I got the crossroad blues this mornin`, Lord, baby I`m sinkin` down

I went to the crossroad, mama, I looked east and west
I went to the crossroad, babe, I looked east and west
Lord, I didn`t have no sweet woman, ooh well, babe, in my distress

"Love in Vain"

And I followed her to the station, with her suitcase in my hand,
And I followed her to the station, with her suitcase in my hand.
Well, it`s hard to tell, it`s hard to tell, when all your love`s in vain,
All my love`s in vain.

When the train rolled up to the station, I looked her in the eye,
When the train rolled up to the station, and I looked her in the eye.
Well, I was lonesome, I felt so lonesome, and I could not help but cry.
All my love`s in vain.

When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.
All my love`s in vain.

Uumh, Willie Mae, Uumh, Willie Mae, Uumh uumh,, all my love`s in vain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YRjoNlJso0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLmlz34BUlk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAcer5QVMs&feature=related

"Blues Ain't Nothing But a Good Woman on Your Mind."

8) TJ.

The white guys were into Robert Johnson, the black guys were into Lonnie Johnson.

:wink:

Mike

stratman323 said:
The white guys were into Robert Johnson, the black guys were into Lonnie Johnson.

Mike

8) i am into Eric Johnson........and what all these means mike?

OK, I'm generalising. I read interviews with Eric Clapton & Keith Richards, & they both raved about Robert Johnson.

I read interviews with BB King & John Lee Hooker, & they both said that Lonnie Johnson was their main man.

And by the way, I'm into Wilko Johnson.

wilko_poster_the_file_for_print.jpg

TOKAI JOE said:
stratman323 said:

Mike

8) i am into Eric Johnson........and what all these means mike?

TJ, have you ever seen EJ perform live?

I saw EJ on 14 ocassions over a 29 month period doing everything from Alien Love Child, EJ band (EJ, Tommy Taylor, Kyle Brock), EJ/Jerry Moratto,Trey Gunn = Vortexan Sessions, solo acoustic = acoustic guitar/vocals/piano, and MORE ...................

Eric is not only one of the best guitarist of our time (voted Guitar Magazine's best over all so many times they refused to EVER nominate him again) but he is a song writer, a solo acoustic performer, a vocalist, a pianist, a producer; the guy is NOT from planet Earth 8)

Anyone can listen to any artist all day long, every day but until one has witnessed the full scope of an artist's true abilities in a LIVE setting, there is no actual real appreciation for the true talents of such a phenominal talent

I do not state that lightly in regard to any artist, Eric included .....................

possibly one of Eric's greatest attributes is he is completely down to Earth & a very cool person; I have chatted with him on many ocassions, and he is truly very humble compared to most of the more well known people I have met in this profession .......

So, have you seen Eric play live :wink: .................

I'd love to see Eric Johnson live, but can't see him coming to NZ any time soon. His Austin City Limits DVD is right up there with SRVs El Mocambo vid for me. His version of Love or Confusion is amazing.

The thing I love about Eric is his combination of pop with amazing guitar, eg Desert Rose, Emerald Eyes...great songs.

Oh yeah, Robert Johnson is cool too, my fave song of his would be Hellhound on my Trail, it's otherworldly.

But, Joe, that line is from Blind Lemon Jefferson, not Robert Johnson..

Have a great summer, Joe!

youami said:
I'd love to see Eric Johnson live, but can't see him coming to NZ any time soon. His Austin City Limits DVD is right up there with SRVs El Mocambo vid for me. His version of Love or Confusion is amazing.

The thing I love about Eric is his combination of pop with amazing guitar, eg Desert Rose, Emerald Eyes...great songs.

Oh yeah, Robert Johnson is cool too, my fave song of his would be Hellhound on my Trail, it's otherworldly.

Funny you should mention SRV's El Mocambo as the very first time I saw Eric perform was in a very small venue with only about 100 in attendence, and one of the EJ mailing list members spoke of the performance as Eric's El Mocambo.

It was an Alien Love Child show at Trees, in Dallas; they played two full hours of sublime music.

The next Jaunuary I was in Austin for ALC's three night gig at Antones, recording for the ALC live album, 'Live and Beyond'.

Many see Eric perform live and feel he is stale & mechanical but one has to appreciate near perfection for what it is, and to understand that Eric's type of talent comes along only so rarely.

That is why some see Eric's perfectionists tendencies as boring & mechanical; they have nothing to reference it to :wink: proving that Eric is sui generis

Many say that Eric plays with no feeling yet I recall when the band played 'Once A Part of Me', there were quite a few folks with tears streaming down their faces.
It was a very moving performance .......................

photo taken by Eric's wife, Anne :) after the first of three nights of live recording at Antones, January 2000
EJAntones-ALCLB-2.jpg

8) yea only once in california before. it was his joint concert with BB king
at concord pavillion and he was sure great there as he always is
everywhere. it was really an amazing moment when he played
"cliffs of dover". it must have echod all over the bayarea that night....
he had a nice friendly blues jam with BB later that night and two
seemed very lovely. it was i think sometime in 1993/4.......j

8) tj.

Mick51 said:

But, Joe, that line is from Blind Lemon Jefferson, not Robert Johnson..

Have a great summer, Joe!

:wink: thanks mick. you have a good summer in the heartland too!

MIJvintage said:
That is why some see Eric's perfectionists tendencies as boring & mechanical; they have nothing to reference it to :wink: proving that Eric is sui generis

Many say that Eric plays with no feeling yet I recall when the band played 'Once A Part of Me', there were quite a few folks with tears streaming down their faces.
It was a very moving performance .......................

I don't like perfectionist musicians, & I find Eric Johnson lacks soul. Each to their own, I guess.

How about the greatest blues & rock n' roll pianist ever - Johnnie Johnson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbw3qrKSmuM

stratman323 said:
OK, I'm generalising. I read interviews with Eric Clapton & Keith Richards, & they both raved about Robert Johnson.

I read interviews with BB King & John Lee Hooker, & they both said that Lonnie Johnson was their main man.

And by the way, I'm into Wilko Johnson.

wilko_poster_the_file_for_print.jpg

Bukka White is a bit out of the history here, his brother in law is bb King as far as I remember, and I think he needs more credit than he gets. He is a stone cold blues guy- he spent some years in jail- Parchman Farm, for killing another guy who attacked him with a knife. Plays the guitar like he is shaking a stick. And very.. poetic in a way.. and he has got the b....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMpHHSLSlc&feature=related

Back