N.G.D.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert1950

Reaction score
Got this in a trade for an amp and some cash. Tokai Love Rock 2003 MIK. - upgrades included Rio Grandes (BBQ Bridge, Texas Neck), a bone nut, Grover tuner and 50s wiring. Traded away my Gibson GA5 LP RI and a weber speaker. When tried a few cords through my x-GA5, I loved the sound - it sounded so good (and hated parting with the amp, but...). I believe this was the model made for the Canadian Market up until 2 or 3 years ago. ALS-48 I believe?

I have never gotten along well with an LP above the 15th fret, but I am sure going to give it a try. So far I find it as good as any production Gibson LP I have tried.

3666298496_f58b1701c5_o.jpg

Can you give us some pics of the back of the headstock please, looking at the placement of the controls this could be one of the Canadian fake Tokai's, a picture of the back of the headstock will help identify it. Does it have a 3 screw truss rod cover? and does it have a sticker on the back of the headstock like this?
tokai03loverock-sb3.jpg

Mick

The back of the headstock looks just like the picture you posted. It says Serial # 0300***. If it is a fake, it is a **** good one.

I'll post pics later and check the truss rod cover when I'm home.

This is my old MIK LS48, now sold to a mate (who loves it!). As far as I know it was original & genuine.

119_1952.jpg

Mike

IMHO looks a bit dodgy wasn't there a Zakk Wylde Fakai lurking about somewhere similar to this ?

Robert1950 said:
Okay, it looks like I got a fake. But it's a **** good fake.

Apparently the fakes are good, well made guitars. Unfortunately, they're just not Tokais.

:(

Yes there was a "bullseye" fake, prs, gretch, 335, tele, strat, and from what i have seen at least 3 different types of LP. These fakes are well made so if you were after a good guitar then you shouldn't be too upset, they just are not Tokai's.

Mick

So, it looks like I will have to change my tagline on some other forums.

"... Fakai Love Rock" :oops: :D

My enthusiasm for the guitar has diminished a bit, but not that much. I like this guitar as a player. I just won't be able to sell it - I'm not that type of person. I just won't mention it to anyone.

Funny thing about these "canadian market" guitars is that they seem to pretty well made.

Perhaps if the distributor involved with this situation had of come up with a unique name of his own to put on the headstock he'd actually have given the world a pretty cool line of guitars. Not to mention maintaining the resale values.

Although I guess it would have been a bit harder to establish them in the market with no pedigree behind them

Funny thing about these "canadian market" guitars is that they seem to pretty well made.

Perhaps if the distributor involved with this situation had of come up with a unique name of his own to put on the headstock he'd actually have given the world a pretty cool line of guitars. Not to mention maintaining the resale values.

I agree with everything you have said. Its a pity some people try and cut corners and trade of someone else's good name.

Mick

I am actually bonding with my Fakai Love Rock here. It stays in tune better than any of my other guitars, including my Hamer USA P90 special. I like the sound of the Rio Grandes, but I can't get used ot 50s wiring. The previous owner spent more on upgrades than what this guitar is really worth.

I know I cannot really sell for a decent price, but there is an odd sense of liberation in this. I now feel free to experiment with this guitar. I'll get the wiring changed to modern - h*ll, I'll even change the lay out of the controls. I am even thinking of a refret - yeah, I know, but I want to try jumbos on an LP type guitar. I'd rather try it on the Fakai than a Gibby to see if it works.

That's were I am so far. As as matter of fact, I have not picked any of my other three guitars since I got this one.

It's a real shame that we have to brand these as "fakes" as it seems like they may be at least as good as the real MIK Love Rocks, which were decent guitars themselves. I think you have the right attitude Robert, just enjoy it as a good guitar, which is what you wanted in the first place.

There are a lot of "fake" Fenders & Gibsons out there, from all kinds of sources, which are great guitars.

Back