Tokai tweed Springy case on eBay? $213?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ2257 said:
I have been meaning to get the neck and plate off for a while to check the codes etc, so will do so later and take pics. I would agree with bluejeannot btw - it's definately sen not alder.

Actually it looks more like poplar wood! Notice that the thick grain lines have other grains running through it? that is Alder! Ash only has thick grains with other grains running around it only!
But if you think it is Ash that is okay by me friend! 8)

Actually it looks more like poplar wood! Notice that the thick grain lines have other grains running through it? that is Alder! Ash only has thick grains with other grains running around it only!
But if you think it is Ash that is okay by me friend! 8)[/quote] Sen is not ash it is a completely different species,believe me this guitar is made of Sen.Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
But if you think it is Ash that is okay by me friend! 8)
Sen is not ash it is a completely different species,believe me this guitar is made of Sen.Gabe.[/quote]

I know what Sen Ash is....here is a pic of my Tokai Silver Star made from Sen! notice again, that the thick lines do not have other lines running through it, only Alder or Poplar have that......

oniifx75-img600x450-1245119326mt5wm.jpg

Looks like this will be interesting discussion on what wood is what 8)

regards

Greco burst, that is SEN, sen is referred to ash quite often but it is not ash at all, actually i think it is related to ivy. Its botanical reference is KALOPANAX PICTUS KAKAI, or castor aralia, The guitar in question is SEN not Alder, yes i know you can get figured Alder but this guitar has a SEN body....nothing else.

Mick

I have also seen SEN that has bugger all figuring and looks quite plain and i have seen highly figured SEN as well, there is doubt in my mind at all that the guitar in question is SEN. It also depends on how it is cut, quatersawn timber looks completely different as well so there is more to it than one type of grain pattern.

Mick

OK, well if it has a 2 piece sen body, that is typical ST60 spec. An ST50 SHOULD have a 3 piece alder body.

leadguitar_323 said:
Greco burst, that is SEN, sen is referred to ash quite often but it is not ash at all, actually i think it is related to ivy. Its botanical reference is KALOPANAX PICTUS KAKAI, or castor aralia, The guitar in question is SEN not Alder, yes i know you can get figured Alder but this guitar has a SEN body....nothing else.

Mick

Hi leadguitar_323, okay, but I gotta wait until I can see a pic from the owner looking at the neck pocket, that will be a giveaway if Sen or Alder...well...to me any anyway 8)

Ok guys (drumroll......) here are the pics and it seems we have an addition the Springy knowledge base. It is indeed an ST50 with a 2-piece body!!!! The neck body codes don't match, but that's not unusual. The question here I suppose, was the body.
006-1.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

Model numbers stamped in the neck pocket? :eek: That's a new one on me. Neither of my 1980 Springys have this, was it a feature that Tokai dropped prior to 1980? I thought it was only the Fender JVs that had this feature?

stratman323 said:
Model numbers stamped in the neck pocket? :eek: That's a new one on me. Neither of my 1980 Springys have this, was it a feature that Tokai dropped prior to 1980? I thought it was only the Fender JVs that had this feature?

Mine is a 1979, are you saying after 1980 they did stamp the pocket??

DJ2257 said:
stratman323 said:

Mine is a 1979, are you saying after 1980 they did stamp the pocket??

Tokai stopped stamping neck pocket after 1979, you really have a nice guitar there DJ2257, the stamp ST-50 in neck pocket confirms what you have, but, I am very surprised if you do have a 2 piece, clearly another Tokai surprise to me, it is the first St-50 I have seen that is most likely 2 piece, and probably Sen or Poplar or Alder, it has got me this one! but looking at the neck pocket it looks more Sen now, maybe a body plank that was destined for ST-60 and you got it! Nice guitar! 8)

No, I'm saying that after 1980 they didn't stamp the model number in the neck pocket. I don't have a Tokai from before 1980.

I agree with greco_burst, that looks like a 2 piece sen body to me. Is the join slightly off centre? If it is, maybe it wasn't considered quite good enough for an ST60? Most 60s & 80s seem to have centre joined 2 piece bodies.

Whatever the reason, this guitar just proves that even a relatively cheap & basic Tokai is likely to be well made, & may well have features that should only only come on a higher model.

stratman323 said:
No, I'm saying that after 1980 they didn't stamp the model number in the neck pocket. I don't have a Tokai from before 1980.
Right ok. I just found this on a quick search which is also a 1979 with the same stamp (albeit an ST60)
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13599&sid=1a9488df611e093a21f855023b022e0b

DJ2257 said:
The join is about hals an inch off centre

Possibly not quite good enough for a particularly fussy Tokai quality control guy one day, so he chucked it in the ST50 pile? Or maybe he made a mistake, & it should have gone in the ST60 pile?

Not that it really matters, as long as it's a good Strat, that's all that counts.

Here's my ST60, one of the nicest examples I've seen. So this was the sort of thing Tokai expected from an ST60 body.

128_2873.jpg

128_2880.jpg

Latest posts

Back