Selling an R9 - looking to make sure I buy the right MIJ lp!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman

Reaction score
Hello,Well, I seem to be getting to a point with my 2007 Gibson R9 (VOS) where I'm seriously pondering selling it.? Here are the reasons for this:1.? My buddy would make this is an easy sale, as he's dying to buy it off me at fair market value.2.?? It's such an expensive axe that I feel guitly having so much tied up in one piece.3.?? Although it has amzing tone, the playabilty is not on the same level as my PRS McCarty (a keeper for sure).4.?? I have MIJ GAS (for both a goldtop with p-90's and a humbucking lp)Therefore, I have a couple questions concering the LS-135's and LS-150's.? 1.? After reading a tonne of posts, it sounds as if both the LS 135 and 150 are on par with the quality of Gibson reissues.? It also appears that the ls-135 possesses a flamed maple top, whereas the 150's have plain maple tops.? The 135's seem to be priced lower then the 150's. As well, per the Tokai website, the 135's are not considered part of their "premium" line.? Therefore, what does a plain top 150 possess that a 135 doesn't?? Does the 150 possess better electronics?2.? How thick is the 135's maple cap?3.? I really enjoy the burstbucker's #1 and #2 on my R9.? Do the PUPs on the 135 and 150 possess a similar vintage PAF tone?4.? Would a bacchus duke be on par with a LS 150, or are the the duke's better made?thanks for the help, folks - it's greatly appreciated!!!

135F has the flamed veneer top and the back isnt 1 piece.
but has very attractive specs like lemonburst finish.
also in lacquer and w/deep neck joint.....

150 has the solid plain top and the 1 piece back.

The absolute minimum new Tokai LP to compare to a Historic is the LS-150.
None of the lower models have the features and wood selection process.

This doesn't mean they're no good! On the contrary, if you went and checked out an LS-135 you might love it.

Wow selling an R9! Are you sure you want to do that? I understand your rationale, but then again, they aren't getting cheaper.

I bought a custom LS VF with a nice flame on my last trip to Japan....and I got to go guitar slumming with some friends. I had the opportunity to play some R9s and some nice Tokais. One store had a used LS320 next to a couple used R9s. It was funny to see tooling marks on one of the R9s' fret binding! :D

The LS320 was a very nice axe. But I think one of the R9s in the store was a better guitar: more resonant, the neck felt just right etc. These are all personal preferences for sure. Having said that, I have bought Tokais without playing them before. That's something I'd never do with a Gibson Custom Historic (I went through a bunch before buying my R6). The new Tokai Custom VF needed a new nut cut, some saddle work and I stuck some SD Seth Lovers in her. Still 1/2 what a R9 sells for new.....

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8501.jpg

IMG_8496.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8495.jpg

Check out ebay item: 390060486136

Great deal (so far) on an LS-250 equivalent. It's a custom order so technically not one of the official model numbers, but that is meaningless.

If I had the dough...

I also have a LS-230 with an AAAA grade koa top that I'm selling :)

JVsearch said:

Great deal (so far) on an LS-250 equivalent. It's a custom order so technically not one of the official model numbers, but that is meaningless.

If I had the dough...

:wink: I'm on it ..... 2hrs left

marcusnieman said:
JVsearch said:

If I had the dough...

:wink: I'm on it ..... 2hrs left

Any luck? Good closing price for that guitar - nice weight as well.

Latest posts

Back