Yamaha SG3000S Any Info Please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looknow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,just bought one of my dream guitars,a Yamaha SG3000S GoldTop,Ebony Fretboard,Abalone Inlays,etc.Quality and Playability are Superb.Is this the best guitar I have played - Probably!!!
Info is really difficult to come by though.I think it is mid 80's but cannot find anything about serial numbers (L00H060).Can anyone help here or with any other info about these superb guitars,Much Appreciated :D

They were around in the 70's too. Kinda fancy alternative to the Les Paul Custom during this period. Great guitar but generally outsold by the popular SG2000 as used by Santana for a while.

Also in direct competition with the Ibanez Artist range at the time.

Some plus points:
quality
craftsmanship
playability

Minus points:
F*!king heavy. 15 minutes and you want it off!
pickups
hard to find
overly high used prices

My tip:
Go for the workhorse SG2000

too late he already bought it...
don`t have one of these, though I own a few high end Yamahas and love em... if I ever see a used SG3000 at a decent price I`ll get it. Yamaha made several models in the SG line from the 70s and 80s. I am as happy with my Yamahas as I am with any of my guitars... craftsmanship is outstanding, playability is excellent, quality of materials is top notch... negative point is resale value... then again , I didn`t buy mine thinking about that... they are great guitars.

Thanks Guys,You are right it is Heavy :eek: ,All Mahogany I think.It is pretty much the same spec as the Sg 2000 apart from cosmetics,Abalone Inlays and beading.I,m really getting used to it now though and I think it,s definitely a keeper(Where have I heard that before???)Prices on Ebay and in Japan seem extraordinarily high,often over ?1000.I got mine for ?600 a few weeks ago(Thanks D.G) and it,s in nice condition.Off for a cuppa,any other info appreciated,Cheers. :D

I have 2 SG's a Yamaha SG700, not a modern one but an old 70's one. Its basically an SG1000 without gold hardware. My SG1300 is basically a thinner bodied 2000 with a locking Tremelo, but I've made it fixed bridge.

I wanted a 2000, but I've never had the cash ready when I see a good one. There great guitars though, really well made.

I've tried a few over the years and yes they were heavy, but I'm still relatively young and like guitars that resonate well. Anyhow the Yamaha SGB series were really good and Carlos Santana was a well known user of those guitars before he got involved with PRS. They offer really good tones and the coil splitting on the tone pots make for extra versatility. The downside is that people have discovered their worth and they are the most expensive Yamaha's around. Just go and price a new model in Japan and you'll get sticker shock. Right now there are some bargains on ebay though for the late 70's and early 80's SGB 3000. Really nice but I think that they are going to easily jump up to more than I'd like to pay before the auction is over.

I just sold this Beatch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7342016664&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&rd=1

Latest posts

Back