Tokai tweed Springy case on eBay? $213?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali Girl

Reaction score
Was this an actual vintage Tokai case?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360162346752

There is no Tokai mark anywhere on it and the seller doesn't give much information. I thought the proper Tokai case for Strat style guitar has the brown splotchy vinyl covering and fluffy pink inside but I really don't know.

I was suprised by the price!

Looks like the case that I got with my TST-'62. But, WOW, the price...thats more than I paid for my case and it came with the guitar :D .

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

It's the same case that I got with my ST-50 springy sound (bought in Tokyo) so think it's the original tokai. You're right though cali girl, there are no markings on the case to identify as Tokai, unlike the one's that went with the LS series. Mine's probably not worth as much as the one in the auction though - great condition case but alas, no key.

You can buy the same case for less than $60 bucks brand new:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-Case?sku=540948

It just looks like every other tweed case to me, I can't see paying any extra, thanks for the link marcusnieman :)

It (the tokai one) is not actually a great quality case, it's very thin and feels quite flimsy - the ones in the link from marcus look far more substantial with their multi-ply build. Great price on them too.

marcusnieman said:
You can buy the same case for less than $60 bucks brand new:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-Case?sku=540948
Yes but what about the mojo of a really matured case.?Apparently Eric Johnson can hear the difference between an old and new case,and besides the new cases have a short tenon.By the way I recently bought an 84 Goldie st60 complete with original tweed case for ?450.00 on flea bay.If your interested ,you can tell an original Tokai tweed caseby the fact that quite often it contains an original Tokai!The hinges will also have made in Japan stamped on them.Maybe we should ask Ned for a new vintage case section.(only kidding)Gabe.

Oh apparently the cases are rarer than the guitars,so it`s allright to make a fast buck then!Gabe.

Tony o'Riordan said:
It (the tokai one) is not actually a great quality case, it's very thin and feels quite flimsy - the ones in the link from marcus look far more substantial with their multi-ply build. Great price on them too.

IMHO, all the Tokai cases seem flimsy and weak, which is why I'm in the process of replacing mine with SKB cases. Then mine will go on the 'bay.

Question though - does anyone have the SKB case foe an ES? I got one but the neck and headstock don't sit correctly. The neck doesn't actually rest in the pocket and the headstock tip touches the bottom of the case. This is fixed by placing a sock in the neck slot to elevate a little but I thought it was strange nonetheless, since they're made for ES type guitars and the Tokai is a direct copy of Gibbo.

Jason

As there is not much info out there in regards to original Tokai cases for the Springy/Breezy guitars etc, I just thought I would mention that I have an original black tolex version that is home to my '79 Springy Sound. It has a '7okai' metal plaque by the handle, a red interior, and the hinges have Japan D.PAT stamped on them.

If anyone could tell me how to add a photo to my message I will get one added in case anyone's interested (excuse the pun!)

Head over to http://www.photobucket.com and sign up for a free account. Once you upload the picture you can then copy and paste the IMG code into your message and it'll show up here.

Pics of of my Tokai case.
I just thought I would also add a couple of photos of my ST50. General opinion seems to go with 3-piece bodies for these, but mine unusually has a 2-piece body, you can just make the join out about 1/2 inch off centre. I haven't had the neck off to check if the neck/body codes match, so can't rule out a 60 or 80 (no nitro test done) body with a 50 neck etc. All I can say at present it is a 1979 example in near mint 9.5/10 condition, so guess it's all original, but I will eventually take the neck off to check!! It has the 50 stamp on the fingerboard and 'U' pups.

014.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

[/img]

Cali Girl said:
Nice pictures :)

Ditto that..... nice case and guitar.

I have the same situation with one of my Springy's..... we suspect it's an ST80 with an ST60 or other neck (C type profile instead of V, wire string retainer instead of round, etc)

Interesting ST50. What's the verdict on the body wood, folks? Unusually patterned alder? Or is it sen?

Mike

I have been meaning to get the neck and plate off for a while to check the codes etc, so will do so later and take pics. I would agree with bluejeannot btw - it's definately sen not alder.

Latest posts

Back