2000 Tokai LS-75Q

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpaul626

Reaction score
Hey Guys-

First time poster. Great forum!

I'm a long time Gibson LP player. I've been looking for a Tokai to add to the collection. I'm considering a 2000 LS-75Q. Can anyone tell me about this year/model? Two piece body? Value? Neck over fret edge binding? Maple cap? Etc...

Also, neck profile?

Is there a good summary that exists somewhere that would explain the models and the number scheme?

Thanks!

Heh! I don't think anyone could summarise the model number scheme!

It's a bit of a pain to get, but the gist of it is that a new guitar with the same spec as one from a few years ago will have a higher model number.

e.g. Your 2000 LS75Q would probably equate to a 2009 LS90Q or somewhere in that region. (I'm no expert myself)

As far as I am aware, apart from a brief spell in the 80s, Tokai don't do fret edge binding, so it won't have that.

Unless I am mistaken, you'll have a 2 piece mahogany body with a maple cap and a quilted maple/sycamore veneer on the top.

As far as I am aware, apart from a brief spell in the 80s, Tokai don't do fret edge binding,

Sorry Steve but there were a lot more models with fret binding right throughout the years these guitars were made and it is still an option.

Mick

LS75Q is equivalent to current LS100Q:

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/ls100q.html

leadguitar_323 said:
As far as I am aware, apart from a brief spell in the 80s, Tokai don't do fret edge binding,

Sorry Steve but there were a lot more models with fret binding right throughout the years these guitars were made and it is still an option.

Mick

Ah, no worries, I had been misinformed then. Apologies to lespaul626! :oops:

Is it just an option on custom orders, or is it a stock thing?

At the risk of embarrassing myself again, I'll stick my neck out and say that it will be a medium profile neck, more 50s than 60s, but not huge. The folks here have told me that Tokai don't do 60s slim profiles on stock LS models.

If I'm wrong again, I'll shut up now! :oops: :lol:

leadguitar_323 said:
Thats pretty much spot on Steve, not huge but bigger than a gibson 60's style neck.

Mick

I have three LS-75-90 guitars and one Gibson LP Std 2006 with 50's neck and the necks of all of my Tokai's is clearly (1-2 mm) chunkier than the neck of that skinny Gibson.

Matti

mattim said:
leadguitar_323 said:
Thats pretty much spot on Steve, not huge but bigger than a gibson 60's style neck.

Mick

I have three LS-75-90 guitars and one Gibson LP Std 2006 with 50's neck and the necks of all of my Tokai's is clearly (1-2 mm) chunkier than the neck of that skinny Gibson.

Matti

Do you have a pic of all 4 together, the 3 Tokais and the Gibson, I'd love to see that? :)

How do your LS 85's stand up against the Gibson?

Diamond said:
mattim said:
leadguitar_323 said:

Mick

Matti

Do you have a pic of all 4 together, the 3 Tokais and the Gibson, I'd love to see that? :)

How do your LS 85's stand up against the Gibson?

Soundwise the Gibson is better guitar, mostly due to better Microphones, but also acoustic sound is more open and colourfull.

Here is an old picture about the necks of Gibson and Tokai: http://www.dvdplaza.fi/galleria/showphoto.php?photo=17580&nocache=1

I can not take new pictures right now since I'm travelling in China at the moment.

Matti

Latest posts

Back