Fender MIJ Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerslinger

Reaction score
Just recently picked up a 1985 Fender MIJ Strat '57, it is Candy Apple Red. It's a pretty nice guitar,just wondering if anyone else has or has had one, and how they stack up against a Tokai Strat?

I know the current Fender MIJ's are built by Tokai, not sure about previous years.

On 2001-10-16 20:42, beerslinger wrote:
Just recently picked up a 1985 Fender MIJ Strat '57, it is Candy Apple Red. It's a pretty nice guitar,just wondering if anyone else has or has had one, and how they stack up against a Tokai Strat?

In my experience, the received wisdom is that MIJ Fenders were as near as dammit to the USA models, and much cheaper. They're still mde in Japan, of course, but seem (at least here in the UK) much harder to lay hands on than MIM stuff. I'm not sure that they're necessarily better in theory than MIM, but probably the QC was better.
To answer your specific question, i don't have a lot of experience with Tokai MIJ Strats, but I believe that they're probably on a par with the Fender, so long as QC did their job well on that specific instrument.

Personally, if having to choose between the two, I'd pick whichever one played and felt better, irrepective of brand... tho probably i'd go for the Tokai if the price was much better....

Back